NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
David, Do you mean by allowing certain sellers to advertise here or by buying from them, or both. BTW I think I agree with you.
Hey Dave
Any time you don't like this place you can get the F--- out. It won't hurt my feelings.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Would it hurt your feelings if I stayed?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Would it hurt your feelings if I stayed?
That worked well for ya'.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 05-09-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Alex

Quote:
David, Do you mean by allowing certain sellers to advertise here or by buying from them, or both. BTW I think I agree with you.

Don't make this argument about something it's not. Ebay is one thing and the board is another.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Don't make this argument about something it's not. Ebay is one thing and the board is another.
Just in case you didn't notice, David won't be participating with us anymore. He had been banned once before for going completely ballistic with an extremely vile post towards me that stayed up for a few hours. He was gone for 6 mos to a year (or more) and pleaded to come back, so I said ok. Because of that he was already on a short leash. Now he is free to do what he wants, somewhere else.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
In my opinion, contributing to the profits of a company you know is acting unethically and breaking the law is by definition being unethical. You can tell me reasons why do it-- and maybe some of those reasons contain logic and sense and I can see your practical point of view--, but those are reasons for why you are acting unethically, not reasons for why it not unethical.

And I don't want to hear theoretical comparisons of buying baseball cards to procuring bread and eggs for your starving family from an ethically challenged food industry, because we're talking about baseball cards here, something you don't have to buy. And, besides, perhaps your food buying habits should be more influenced by ethics than it is.

And pointing out that others also act unethically is besides the point.

That's the way I see it. After reading the posts in the thread I certainly don't expect that everyone will agree with me.
I wouldn't go as far as David here, and I am sure I am not 100 percent consistent in life, but I do think just not doing business with people whose activities are highly suspicious is the right thing to do.

Some of the rationalizations I've seen here could be used to justify bidding in an Al Qaeda fundraiser. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if people would do just that if they had that key card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm neither a saint nor a zealot, though believe in calling a spade a spade. And sometimes people mistake an observation for an opinion.

My post on ethics was part personal value judgment and part logical explanation. It wasn't entirely my value judgment and certainly not a how to guide to collecting covering all ethical conundrums and gray situations, though my personal views were strongly implied.

I mean someone can agree with my definition of ethics, but think ethics are of lesser importance. I'm sure many unethical people consider themselves unethical. Some are even unapologetic about it.

Last edited by drcy; 05-08-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Todd Schultz

Leon, with all due respect, you can shoot/ban the messenger, but I don't see how the question is invalid. Since we were just given an unsolicited opinion on who is acting ethically in the hobby, where it was suggested that any business contact with a company that itself is acting "highly unethically" and "breaking the law" (with an apparent inference that at least one and likely two specific ebay sellers identified in this thread qualify) is also unethical, how is it not fair to question the ethics of allowing these nefarious people to advertise here?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Post of the year. My tears might be in Hawaii by now.
You got some fast moving tears! Next time you cry, PM me, I'm riding a tear to paradise
Old 05-07-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post
You got some fast moving tears! Next time you cry, PM me, I'm riding a tear to paradise
So, that would be two tickets to paradise?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
So, that would be two tickets to paradise?
Pack your bags, we'll leave tonight......

Scott commence the tears again!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Pack your bags, we'll leave tonight......

Scott commence the tears again!
I think I just got banned from Eddie Money concerts. I can live with that.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 AM
Steve Birmingham

Umm......

If we need to abandon all contact with businesses that behave badly at times, we'll have to shut this whole thing down.

I can't think of any major computer industry company that hasn't been in legal trouble or that hasn't engaged in some questionable practices at some time.

And Then...............

I suppose going to shows is out. Since I'd have to get there by car. Which means using gas, and contributing to the profits of oil companies.

Perhaps if I became a hermit?

Ah, but I've done stuff in the past that I'm not exactly proud of.

If I'm withdrawing ALL contact, that's kind of a problem.

The high road is great, and we should try to stay on it as much as possible.
But taken to extremes it just isn't practical.

Steve B
Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Leon, with all due respect, you can shoot/ban the messenger, but I don't see how the question is invalid. Since we were just given an unsolicited opinion on who is acting ethically in the hobby, where it was suggested that any business contact with a company that itself is acting "highly unethically" and "breaking the law" (with an apparent inference that at least one and likely two specific ebay sellers identified in this thread qualify) is also unethical, how is it not fair to question the ethics of allowing these nefarious people to advertise here?
Todd, the question was perfectly valid, if you will notice I didn't ban him for questioning any advertising, questioning a seller, or what goes on on this board. Please look at the timing of posts carefully. Anyone can question anything, that is fine. I have no issue with the debate. What I have issue with is someone that was banned before, being given a second chance, and then taunting me about being on the board. I told him if he didn't like the board he can leave. That is true for anyone.. He has his moments but his sh** to equity ratio was poor. I have never banned anyone for questioning what goes on on the board. Now if someone is relentlessly attacking me, or someone else, and won't quit, then that might get them banned too. But his banning wasn't concerning his questioning of advertising..It was for screwing with me.

Last edited by Leon; 05-08-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Leon,

I see what you are saying on the behavioral aspect, but can we delete the profanity? I am not trying to be funny. It is obvious the guy got under your skin, but keep the foul language out of the conversation.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Leon,

I see what you are saying on the behavioral aspect, but can we delete the profanity? I am not trying to be funny. It is obvious the guy got under your skin, but keep the foul language out of the conversation.
Duly noted. I don't want to offend any members with my harsh language.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Umm......

If we need to abandon all contact with businesses that behave badly at times, we'll have to shut this whole thing down.

I can't think of any major computer industry company that hasn't been in legal trouble or that hasn't engaged in some questionable practices at some time.

And Then...............

I suppose going to shows is out. Since I'd have to get there by car. Which means using gas, and contributing to the profits of oil companies.

Perhaps if I became a hermit?

Ah, but I've done stuff in the past that I'm not exactly proud of.

If I'm withdrawing ALL contact, that's kind of a problem.

The high road is great, and we should try to stay on it as much as possible.
But taken to extremes it just isn't practical.

Steve B
Steve that's all true but it remains the case that if one believes someone selling baseball cards is not ethical, it's pretty simple not to do business with them instead of rationalizing it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 05-09-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Guys, we have people here who think that even though they've been shilled they are not victims of fraud. This is a bigger issue.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Guys, we have people here who think that even though they've been shilled they are not victims of fraud. This is a bigger issue.
Every member of this forum has been a victim of hobby related fraud in one way or another. We have all purchased cards off ebay and through auction houses. We have all been suckered into graded cards, or have been affected by the absurd price manipulation that comes with it. Every one of us has been duped one way or another - reprints, altered cards, forged autographs or general ebay scum. Each one of us is a victim of fraud, anyone with a card collection who says otherwise is delusional.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Every member of this forum has been a victim of hobby related fraud in one way or another. We have all purchased cards off ebay and through auction houses. We have all been suckered into graded cards, or have been affected by the absurd price manipulation that comes with it. Every one of us has been duped one way or another - reprints, altered cards, forged autographs or general ebay scum. Each one of us is a victim of fraud, anyone with a card collection who says otherwise is delusional.
Sad but true, but still, the fact that the sea is rough does not mean one should not try one's best to navigate it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Steve that's all true but it remains the case that if one believes someone selling baseball cards is not ethical, it's pretty simple not to do business with them instead of rationalizing it.
I'm not rationalizing, I try to avoid sellers I know are questionable. I also don't make much effort to investigate any particular seller. In that way I'm probably a small piece of the problem.

And I agree. Within a hobby it's easier to avoid questionable sellers.

It just struck me as mildly hypocritical for someone to say we should cut off all business with sellers who are known to at least ignore stuff like shilling. And to make that post from a computer or phone that's almost certainly got software form Microsoft(Antitrust, less than forthcoming at times) Apple (Production in factories with deplorable working conditions) Or Google (Copyright violation - many times over)

We all do business in some way with all of them.

To me the difference is that with the big corporations there isn't much choice.
And at least we can do that business knowing what sort of company we're dealing with.
I've bought from some flea market dealers I didn't trust. But did it knowing they were a bit sketchy, and made my decisions on the item at the time. There were a few I simply wouldn't bother with at all.
If you look hard enough at almost any seller there's something they've done that would bother someone. Maybe not criminal, but maybe not exactly "right" either.

I think others make some good points, fraud is here, and has been. And we probably can't stop it entirely. To think that I haven't been harmed indirectly by shilling in a major auction I don't buy from would be foolish. (Not directly since I can't afford the great stuff even unshilled) The rise in price of the good stuff raises the price of the cheaper stuff I can afford.

There are positive aspects to higher overall prices, but that's a bit too far removed from this discussion.

Pointing out fraud when it happens is a good thing.

Steve B
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Old 05-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm not rationalizing, I try to avoid sellers I know are questionable. I also don't make much effort to investigate any particular seller. In that way I'm probably a small piece of the problem.

And I agree. Within a hobby it's easier to avoid questionable sellers.

It just struck me as mildly hypocritical for someone to say we should cut off all business with sellers who are known to at least ignore stuff like shilling. And to make that post from a computer or phone that's almost certainly got software form Microsoft(Antitrust, less than forthcoming at times) Apple (Production in factories with deplorable working conditions) Or Google (Copyright violation - many times over)

We all do business in some way with all of them.

To me the difference is that with the big corporations there isn't much choice.
And at least we can do that business knowing what sort of company we're dealing with.
I've bought from some flea market dealers I didn't trust. But did it knowing they were a bit sketchy, and made my decisions on the item at the time. There were a few I simply wouldn't bother with at all.
If you look hard enough at almost any seller there's something they've done that would bother someone. Maybe not criminal, but maybe not exactly "right" either.

I think others make some good points, fraud is here, and has been. And we probably can't stop it entirely. To think that I haven't been harmed indirectly by shilling in a major auction I don't buy from would be foolish. (Not directly since I can't afford the great stuff even unshilled) The rise in price of the good stuff raises the price of the cheaper stuff I can afford.

There are positive aspects to higher overall prices, but that's a bit too far removed from this discussion.

Pointing out fraud when it happens is a good thing.

Steve B
well said
Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Two problems with that statement: 1) if they want the card, they will rationalize a new definition for "ethical", or rationalize how the seller can't be proven to be unethical; 2) it's much simpler to rationalize a way to get something you want, especially if you have the power to make it happen, then to avoid the thing you want. It's what used to allow me to have a hamburger and beer as my pre-race meal. If I had been a vegetarian on ethical grounds, this example would have covered both of my points.
Yesterday you defended an ebay seller who is offering an old mill "brown"card for 2,500$ which many knowledgeable folks here called a black back. It seems to me that that listing is deceptive and unethical or worse. You seemed to have no problem rationalizing that the seller is actually honest and well respected and ethical.
I spent over an hour last night looking at old threads which try to prove out the shill bidding clearly because I tend to rationalize as well: I trust PWCC & Brent and don't believe he would ever ruin his reputation by allowing it to occur with his knowledge. I know cards I consigned were never shilled. And I have trouble seeing all unusual bidding is actually shill bidding. every ebay participant once had 0 feedback or low feedback. PWCC advertises more than most and it's hard to miss when he has 1 card closing every minute all night. I believe that attracts a lot of new ebay bidders. Some of us have strange bidding practices hitting the bid button a lot and looking for the current high bid. Bid retractions are to me inexplicable and clearly another story and not sure why ebay wouldn't suspend someone with more than a couple in a 30 day period.
Obviously shilling is wrong and illegal. I think trying to deceive buyers about a card and overcharging for it is equally wrong. Rationalizing stuff is human and we are all guilty of it as you said

Last edited by chernieto; 05-08-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Why are you following me from thread to thread? Your position on shilling was not supportable, so you followed me over to the thread on Irishhosta. Your position regarding that topic was also not supportable, so now you are back over here being a pain in my backside.

You, my friend, are on ignore. It's a small list, but you earned it.
I'm honored to make the list. I didn't realize you have an exclusive on the threads & I find it funny that you assume it means I follow you around because I would comment on another thread. I guess you don't see the irony in discussing others lapses in ethical behavior and rationalizing while supporting a "proven honest seller"" grossly misrepresenting a card . Your first comment to me is that I am blind because my opinion doesn't match yours. I believe my positions are supportable & your arrogance is not
With all due respect.
Paul C
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Now we can get back to having an intelligent discussion.
And the arrogance continues.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Pau.l C

Scott,
Ethics and rationalizations aside I understand for some people ignoring points raised in a discussion rather than addressing differences is an easy route to take.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 05-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You, my friend, are on ignore.
Scott,

You and I have had some pretty strong disagreements, but we never put each other on ignore. I have never used that function at all (don't even know how). I find it kind of childish to ingore all posts of someone I disagree with. And though we disagree on some things, I still agree with you on a lot of other things. It's ok to disagree. You are one of my favorite posters on here. In fact, some of the people I've disagreed the most with are some of my favorite posters. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you can't respect their opinion if it differs from yours. That's just me, but even the people I disagree with still have valuable information sometimes, and why miss that?

DJ
Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
And that's exactly what criminals like Bill Mastro think when they're engaging in their fraud: 'they want the card anyway, why is shilling it up a problem?' Hell, Bill still thinks that and he's cooperating with the Feds against other criminals in our hobby.
Jeff- I went back and re-read a statement I made in this thread and want to amend it here. I said to "just put a bid/snipe in and be done with it." I think that is still the case but it doesn't mean I WANT to pay that much if I don't need to, in a legal auction setting. I am not condoning, what looks to be, the fraud that we see going on with the bidding patterns and id's. I am not OK with getting ripped off. If I inadvertently stated otherwise then that was a mistake. If we see fraud going on then it is for the good of the hobby to expose it. Please keep doing what you are doing, but be nice .
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't think there are easy answers, especially when applying to the real world. I think there can be compromise and things are rarely black and white and the real world situations can be complex. If all pants makers are unethical, I don't expect you to walk around without pants. Realize I grew up in the Northern Midwest and it can get chilly here in Seattle too. I don't rank every misdemeanor as a felony, nor do I expect people to be Saints (Though, to be candid, I expect people to be good people. Sorry, but I don't give excuses for stealing money from honest people or lying in auction descriptions. Use your rationalizations on someone else).

But, while I think one's ethics can sometimes justifiably be compromised on occasion ("All food makers are unethical in some way, but I actually have to eat and already have a full time job and can't start my own farm. I have to make some sort of practical compromise"), if all it takes to toss out one's ethics is to get a kid's baseball card, that's pretty sad. If there is a is god as commonly described, I would imagine he doesn't forgive your sins because they were done in the pursuit of gathering baseball cards.

And I'm not telling you what your ethics should be. I'm not saying I have the universal definition and here is what the are. But, for a starting point, you should know what are your ethical beliefs. And you know what is right and wrong by your definitions and you should be aware when you are breaking your rules in the of baseball cards. You know when you are really just rationalizing, if to yourself more even than to others. You know when you are manipulating definitions to meet your card collecting aims.

You don't have to argue to me your points. You don't have to convince me of anything. You don't have to convince me that this or that offense is really just an ethical parking ticket not a felony, and you more than make up for it by being good to your family and giving to charity. But you should have the discussion with yourself. And, in the end, if you are breaking your personal ethical rules but honestly believe it's justifiable in the pursuit of baseball cards, that's the way it is. The discussion was with yourself, and my and others' opinions and belief systems are neither here nor there. We weren't even in the room to hear your points, much less offer opinions on them.

P.s. Don't call me holier than thou after I said my personal belief system was neither here nor there.

P.s.s. Or at least have the decency to say it behind my back and not to my face.

Last edited by drcy; 05-08-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Peter Spaeth

Steve yes you could by Socratic method push even the most ethical person to the point where he would have to admit that he is not being completely pure or consistent. But so what? That doesn't undercut the legitimacy of taking the obvious step of foregoing card purchases from known or strongly suspected fraudsters. It's like Robert Bork allegedly said -- just because there is a slippery slope doesn't mean you have to ski it to the bottom.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
or someone like Todd who joins a fray just to pile-on because of past disagreements
I would ask you what the hell you are talking about, but that might imply I care.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 05-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Oh you clever little bird--you know me so well. Blather on.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Banned

Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Todd Schultz

Scott, perhaps you could place me on your ignore list too. I welcome it actually-- it beats getting repeatedly skewered by your brilliant repartee.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Pau.l C

[QUOTE=Runscott;1274099]David, you are completely correct on all counts. But I have no idea why you think that I do not respect someone's opinion, or that I don't think others have the right to disagree with me. I completely respect ALL opinions on this forum. This particular thread is a bit different, in that we are talking about cheating, and whether or not it's okay. Having an opinion that cheating or stealing is okay, is a bit different from having an opinion that a card has been trimmed or that guns should be allowed in churches and bars. What I absolutely do NOT respect is a nit who uses 25% of his total posts to follow me around attempting to be a pain in my ass, or someone like Todd who joins a fray just to pile-on because of past disagreements. What do either of those situations have to do with 'opinion'? And how am I 'arrogant' for basically telling him to pound sand?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usually when you call people blind, a nit they respond negatively. You address people respectfully they generally respond in kind. Not everyone has 6,500 posts...If you choose to judge a net54 member by the number of posts that's clearly your call...go right ahead. Don't insult me....Please leave me on your exclusive ignore list & enjoy life & try to insult less people.
Paul C

Last edited by chernieto; 05-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Alex

Quote:

Hahaha! I could not have described this thread more eloquently myself.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 05-09-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Alex

Quote:
Agreed

Fortunately, I hear an ambulance and an ice-cream truck, so that will leave me arguing with myself.

I don't get it.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6