NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Patrick N.

Default Can someone confirm/clarify this? Pennsylvania buyer

Seems like on Jan. 1st eBay will be collecting from me and 3 other states (can't remember the other ones) an additional 6% sales tax from any purchases on eBay I make, no matter what state I buy from via eBay/internet. Is this correct? I know maybe in theory this should have been happening but maybe the recent Supreme Court ruling firmed this up.

If so, I will have to curb my buying and I don't think it's fair that almost every other state does not require their buyers to pay this sales tax....., so am I just extra screwed cause I'm in PA (and the 3 or so other states)????

Last edited by mintacular; 11-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Sounds like you have it right. Technically, you should have always been paying that "fair use" tax. States are starting to mandate it because nobody ever did.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Glyn Parson

I am having difficulty seeing your point. You have been getting away with it for years so why are you complaining? You should have always been paying a use tax in Pennsylvania. Because you chose to violate the law and now you can’t you wish to complain? Don’t really see a valid argument from your end.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Sounds like you have it right. Technically, you should have always been paying that "fair use" tax. States are starting to mandate it because nobody ever did.
If you are buying to re-sell, you are not obligated to pay any use taxes in your home state for items purchased out-of-state. Just like if you buy something to re-sell from within your home state, you can submit your tax ID/valid resale # to the seller to avoid paying the sales tax that the seller is obligated to charge on the in-state purchases.

Seems to me, most states (in response the Supreme Court's recent ruling) have created this "new" law because the existing use-tax law is too challenging to enforce.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I am having difficulty seeing your point. You have been getting away with it for years so why are you complaining? You should have always been paying a use tax in Pennsylvania. Because you chose to violate the law and now you can’t you wish to complain? Don’t really see a valid argument from your end.
As someone who has a wife and family from PA, I feel the use tax seems illegal as possible under logical reason. Yes it's a law, but not right and should be challenged by the voters. There simply is no difference in enforcing this or jackbooting the PA population into providing all receipts and records of money spent on any physical item while out of state and taxing that too. The only difference is this is mailed to you. Soon the states with "use tax" will be essentially double taxing residents as they will be paying sax tax in those home states that require it and then on their PA address. Those states without sales tax will certainly have advantages to buyers and future residents moving to avoid overtaxation.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Patrick N.

Default Not a tax attorney

I've only paid tax from PA dealers on eBay. I am not a tax attorney and don't feel like I have to keep receipts on every purchase I make online, cards or otherwise.

Last edited by mintacular; 11-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
don't look now but there are some kids on your front lawn
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I am having difficulty believing you don't see his point. Very few people pay this use tax. If I had to set one I'd put the over/under at 1 in 30. Enforcement of this law will put those of us in high sales tax states at quite a disadvantage when it comes to Ebay auctions.