NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default NFL Draft

Any guesses as to surprises?

I can't see the Cowboys staying with Romo for another near-playoff or 1st round loss season - it might be dumb to get rid of him, but it would fit Jerry Jones' mentality. I'm guessing they trade Romo to the Dolphins for the #8 pick and hope Ryan Tannehill is still around.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Romo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Any guesses as to surprises?

I can't see the Cowboys staying with Romo for another near-playoff or 1st round loss season - it might be dumb to get rid of him, but it would fit Jerry Jones' mentality. I'm guessing they trade Romo to the Dolphins for the #8 pick and hope Ryan Tannehill is still around.
Romo ain't going anywhere (on more than one level). Jerry still loves him.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Dallas trades up for # 6...

...wait for it

....never mind

Last edited by Runscott; 04-26-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Dave

Bigger problems with Cowboys then Romo. They probably filled their biggest need with their pick.

Giants pick up a smaller sized RB in the mold of Warwick Dunn and Tiki Barber. Hopefully he can learn to catch the ball like them. Looks like he runs with a big heart from the clips I've seen of him, so he'll fit in if he stays healthy.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Yeah, you are right about the Cowboys' pick - on paper, they had to go that route. But keeping Romo, it appears that they are happy with being either an 'almost playoff' team, or a legitimate contender with a quarterback that will choke somewhere before the Superbowl.

For two years I've said this, for two years he's blown it at a critical game, and they've always forgiven him because of his talent and the games where he plays great. Still, not a formula for Superbowl, or even NFC champs. Just my opinion, but so far it's unfortunately holding up.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Dave

Quote:
Yeah, you are right about the Cowboys' pick - on paper, they had to go that route. But keeping Romo, it appears that they are happy with being either an 'almost playoff' team, or a legitimate contender with a quarterback that will choke somewhere before the Superbowl.

For two years I've said this, for two years he's blown it at a critical game, and they've always forgiven him because of his talent and the games where he plays great. Still, not a formula for Superbowl, or even NFC champs. Just my opinion, but so far it's unfortunately holding up.

There's not many QB's out there like that though. I think Romo is perfectly capable of putting together a nice run for a year or two if he has the right players around them.

He played really well last year actually. Cowboys defense was the problem.

Don't think any QB beyond Luck or Griffin was a can't miss in this draft. Certainly not Tannehill or Weedon.

Maybe they can pick up a darkhorse like Kellen Moore in the later rounds and develop him a few years down the road into a Drew Brees type QB.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
H Murphy

Pats traded up TWICE in the first round and took a D E and an ILB. Belichick finally did what people thought he would, translation he knows the Brady window is starting to close and he`s going for it this season. Wouldn`t shock me to see 3 of the next 4 picks also on the def side of the ball. Go Pats !!

Last edited by TUM301; 04-27-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
There's not many QB's out there like that though. I think Romo is perfectly capable of putting together a nice run for a year or two if he has the right players around them.

He played really well last year actually. Cowboys defense was the problem.

Don't think any QB beyond Luck or Griffin was a can't miss in this draft. Certainly not Tannehill or Weedon.

Maybe they can pick up a darkhorse like Kellen Moore in the later rounds and develop him a few years down the road into a Drew Brees type QB.
I know what you are saying, but several years when the Cowboys have been considered to be legitimate Super Bowl contenders, Romo choked in critical games. I'm talking about games where he personally could have been the difference between winning and losing the game. Yes, he has great numbers, but he has not proven that he can put together a string of good performances, and that's what you have to do at the end of the season.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Andrew Parks

Romo threw away two games: the Jets and the Lions - both games at the beginning of the year. He played well at the end of the year. It was the defense who couldn't stop NY or Philly. I'm not sure to what end of the year critical games you are referring.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty6 View Post
Romo threw away two games: the Jets and the Lions - both games at the beginning of the year. He played well at the end of the year. It was the defense who couldn't stop NY or Philly. I'm not sure to what end of the year critical games you are referring.
Yes, the defense has played poorly, but I still believe that as a quarterback and team leader, Romo has failed, and he has choked in critical situations. And yes, it started with throwing away games at the beginning of the year, games which if they had won, they would have won the East.

Difference of opinion apparently, but the Cowboys are still failing to live up to potential each year, and each year Romo is still their quarterback. Romo always has very good stats at the end of the year, but he gets to watch the playoffs on television.

But to be fair, I'll revisit this thread during the 2012 season, and we can talk about Romo some more. I have no issue with eating crow.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Dave

Quote:
Yes, the defense has played poorly, but I still believe that as a quarterback and team leader, Romo has failed, and he has choked in critical situations. And yes, it started with throwing away games at the beginning of the year, games which if they had won, they would have won the East.

Difference of opinion apparently, but the Cowboys are still failing to live up to potential each year, and each year Romo is still their quarterback. Romo always has very good stats at the end of the year, but he gets to watch the playoffs on television.

But to be fair, I'll revisit this thread during the 2012 season, and we can talk about Romo some more. I have no issue with eating crow.

I hope you don't eat crow, as I'm a Giants fan and would love to see him fail. I just think you could be a lot worse off at the QB position then Romo.

75% of the league would probably love to have him right now, regardless of his playoff history.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I hope you don't eat crow, as I'm a Giants fan and would love to see him fail. I just think you could be a lot worse off at the QB position then Romo.

75% of the league would probably love to have him right now, regardless of his playoff history.
I would never argue with you that we could do worse. But that's true of every team in the league except for the one that truly does have the worst quarterback.

Look at what Eli did, beginning with that second victory over Dallas. Does anyone here really think that a Romo-led Cowboys team could reel off a string of victories like that? They came within a play of beating the Giants, as well as several other teams. You can't blame all those close losses on the defense, when ONE clutch play from Romo could have won any of them.