NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default E93 Wagner price differences

Posted By: Anson

I would chalk it up to timing. Today's auction (I was hoping Elkins would get it!) might not have done as well, ending on a Sunday. The previous auction ended on a weekday, which historically do much better. However, it could just be the card itself. The August Wagner was described as having some paper loss and a crease. Also, some toning was obvious. Today's Wagner didn't have much in the way of a description so it was more of a guessing game.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It's all about eye appeal. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd rather have the $1700 than the $1400 card. It just looks better. To me, a lot better.

Good to see that a slab grade doesn't neccessarily dictate price. I see this more and more which would seem to prove that people are more often buying the card and not the slab. I am sure that this is not case when it come to people competing on the set registry.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I'm on the registry. I have often sold or refused a card in better grade and kept a lower grade for my set because of the eye appeal. I believe there are many like me. Yes, there are some guys who look at the PSA # and not the card, but there are more that look at the card than just the number. I don't understand why there are always these subtle jabs at PSA and the registry in so many unrelated thread. This thread is about as unrelated as it gets - two E93 SGC cards.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

okey dokey

Old 09-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Sunday actually is an excellent day to end auctions .... people are at home more on a sunday. I have extensive research from the last several years from a good many number of sources.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Sunday is good and bad. Yes, there are a lot more people looking at eBay at the time. Every seller worth his salt knows this. This also leads to a very high volume of closings on Sunday night. This means that unless you have something special to offer, your auction gets lost. I never close an auction on Sundays anymore becuase I've never had success with it because the t206s I offered were low grade, thus just one of hundreds of other low grade t206s closing that night.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Administrator

I agree with Jay. Ted is right, more people are home on Sunday but things get lost in the mix. Sunday nights are also a bad time for us West Coast folk, due to the East folks going to bed early for work on Monday.

Personally, I've had great luck with Friday night when selling. Sunday nights seem to work better for buying.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

lowest V of activity on e-bay by far.

which registry are you on ???

Old 09-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

However, many more days like I had in college FB today, and I won't let you down on too many cards I will be bidding on. Not only did I win all bets but the Ohio State game, but I hit a nice four team teaser that paid 3 to 1!!!!!!

BcD - I am taking $500 off the Matty price for the college picks I gave you today!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

So,

I gather from the above that since both auctions closed on a Saturday and the PSA registry was not a factor,

that the reason was due to someone buying the card, not the slab. So that a card with minor paper loss and a light crease (on the top) still presented better (and got the higher price), then a similarly graded example (on the bottom) with no other description provided.

$1700

$1400

Old 09-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Wow, I knew I was working too hard but sheesh. I apologize for not being able to read a calendar.

I will put a stop to my antics on this post asI really haven't contributed anything helpful! :X

Old 09-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

The winner of the second card was the underbidder on the first card. The first card is a nicer looking the third high bidder on the first auction did not bid on the second card so the first auction underbidder had clear sailing if you call $1400 for a fair and not that rare card clear sailing.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Seems to me to be a simple question of eye appeal; the $1700 Wagner is a nicer card. Remember, buy the card, not the holder. And the issues Peter raises are certainly relavent.
JimB