NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Default Postage due on ebay purchases???

I know there was a thread last week about sellers asking for extra shipping charges after an item's been paid for. But I ran into a whole new situation.

I won two small lots on ebay last week, the seller combined shipping at a decent price, and they were delivered today. Only problem was they came with postage due. It was only 84 cents and not really a huge deal, but seriously, WTF???

I won't judge the seller, because sometime fluky things like this just happen. But I'm left wondering how long until sellers try to get away with sh!t like this? Sellers can basically go around ebay, and used the post office to make sure people are stuck paying extra for shipping, while they pocket the rest.. It's small change, but it could add up after a while.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Steven

Default Check w/ the PO

David:
The same thing started happening to me...it was small purchases and they had delivery confirmation. According to my post master when delivery confirmation is put on the package it must be a certain thickness or they charge extra...my pachages were coming in an 1/8" to THIN causing the charge. I was not pleased by package 4 and i later found out we had a new post master that was ANAL about the rules. I asked to speak to her boss and havent had a problem since. Its the Del confirmation that was causing the issue though.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
David:
The same thing started happening to me...it was small purchases and they had delivery confirmation. According to my post master when delivery confirmation is put on the package it must be a certain thickness or they charge extra...my pachages were coming in an 1/8" to THIN causing the charge. I was not pleased by package 4 and i later found out we had a new post master that was ANAL about the rules. I asked to speak to her boss and havent had a problem since. Its the Del confirmation that was causing the issue though.
Thank You for clearing this up for me. I sent the seller another message, to nevermind my first message pointing out that this happened. I honestly hope he doesn't think I was accusing him of anything.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
David:
The exact same thing happened to me about 2 years ago.Had 3 packages in a row came postage due.Our new post master showed me how the packages had to be certian thickness.From then on,if I won an auction on ebay I would let the seller know to make sure the package was thickness.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 PM

One other problem could be that it seems every postal clerk interprets the rules and charges for shipping packages in a different way. Would it be too much trouble to get a simpler way to determine the cost of shipping a package?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Dan Brown

Default perhaps

Maybe they could say something like: Hey our plane was going to fly to that city anyways, so here`s a flat fee.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
One other problem could be that it seems every postal clerk interprets the rules and charges for shipping packages in a different way. Would it be too much trouble to get a simpler way to determine the cost of shipping a package?

This.

If it's shipped 1st Class Parcel instead of 1st Class Letter, it shouldn't matter the thickness. As long as it has a rigid insert.

I had an issue a couple years ago on a package sent to Philadelphia. The package got pulled and the customer was sent a postage due for a Priority Mail upgrade.

Absolutely ridiculous. A clerk at my local PO looked up the rule for me and found a page about 50 deep into the handbook. It's an either/or certain thickness or rigid package.
The motive is to keep customers from getting free tracking online for tiny letters.............however, if you're paying the Parcel Price instead of Letter Price.......you are already paying extra to cover the confirmation charges.

These Postage Due notices are almost always a case of overzealous, un-knowledgeable postmasters and clerks.

I immediately refunded the entire shipping charge, when it was mentioned to me that one time, because it was a hassle for the customer, and certainly wasn't their fault either.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
This.

If it's shipped 1st Class Parcel instead of 1st Class Letter, it shouldn't matter the thickness. As long as it has a rigid insert.

I had an issue a couple years ago on a package sent to Philadelphia. The package got pulled and the customer was sent a postage due for a Priority Mail upgrade.

Absolutely ridiculous. A clerk at my local PO looked up the rule for me and found a page about 50 deep into the handbook. It's an either/or certain thickness or rigid package.
The motive is to keep customers from getting free tracking online for tiny letters.............however, if you're paying the Parcel Price instead of Letter Price.......you are already paying extra to cover the confirmation charges.

These Postage Due notices are almost always a case of overzealous, un-knowledgeable postmasters and clerks.

I immediately refunded the entire shipping charge, when it was mentioned to me that one time, because it was a hassle for the customer, and certainly wasn't their fault either.
Nope, for DC on first class the item must be 3/4" thick. Parcel applies to inflexible OR 1/4" and over. But for DC the parcel still needs to be 3/4" or more. I had a big discussion with my postmaster about it and even talked to customer service in Providence, RI. when I had a package returned to me for the postage due. I used Paypal click and ship which makes no mention of the required size.
Funniest part was that they wrote it up wrong, which caused the whole problem in the first palce (As postage due for a required priority upgrade- claiming DC couldn't go on any first class mail!) And to top it off the postage due ammount was for the prior years rate which had been changed over 6 months before.

I did get a neat item for my stamp collection, but had to repack the item in a thicker package.

I still don't get the requirement. The packages I sent out after that with excess bubble wrap or for cards just a single styro peanut in the bubble envelope havegot to be harder to handle than the stiff flats I sent before that.

Steve B
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Nope, for DC on first class the item must be 3/4" thick. Parcel applies to inflexible OR 1/4" and over. But for DC the parcel still needs to be 3/4" or more. I had a big discussion with my postmaster about it and even talked to customer service in Providence, RI. when I had a package returned to me for the postage due. I used Paypal click and ship which makes no mention of the required size.
Funniest part was that they wrote it up wrong, which caused the whole problem in the first palce (As postage due for a required priority upgrade- claiming DC couldn't go on any first class mail!) And to top it off the postage due ammount was for the prior years rate which had been changed over 6 months before.

I did get a neat item for my stamp collection, but had to repack the item in a thicker package.

I still don't get the requirement. The packages I sent out after that with excess bubble wrap or for cards just a single styro peanut in the bubble envelope havegot to be harder to handle than the stiff flats I sent before that.

Steve B
Not the story I got and I was given a page out of the thick hand book the post office had a copy of. Wish I could find it, but it was there unless they've changed it since.

Not to mention, just about every photo auction I've won on Ebay from other sellers over the past several years, has been shipped flat with Delivery confirmation. I certainly won't start putting bubble wrap in there, as it negates the purpose of rigid flat packing to begin with.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 AM

Every post office is different. Some are much stricter than others. My post office lets just about anything go through. Postage due often happens when the sender's post office doesn't mind but the receiving one does. For cards, adding a packing peanut or two to get the right thickness may prevent some problems.

And they wonder why nobody uses USPS anymore...
Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

Section quoted below is from the domestic mail manual - that huge book. Section 10.2.2
The problem with my piece was that it was less than 1/4 inch even though it was ridgid enough to be charged at parcel rates. Which is covered in sec 401.1 and that I won't quote here as it's more lengthy and complex than this bit. And that's a big part of why so few postal clerks actually understand the rules. For more just go to http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/dmm300_landing.htm

I've had them look in the book often enough that the people at the branch office don't check anymore. The main office will, but I'm quite happy with my BA againt with them. I think they're 1 for 6.

Anyone here work for an antivenin lab? I'd love to have a box that live scorpions were mailed in. (sec 9.3.9)

Steve B

10.2 Basic Information
10.2.1 Description
Delivery Confirmation service provides the mailer with information about the date and time an article was delivered and, if delivery was attempted but not successful, the date and time of the delivery attempt. Delivery Confirmation service is available only at the time of mailing. No record is kept at the office of mailing. Delivery Confirmation service does not include insurance, but insurance may be purchased as an additional service (see 10.2.6). Some statutes and regulations governing the mailing of documents with legal significance may require the use of Certified Mail or Registered Mail rather than Delivery Confirmation. For mailings to APO/FPO/DPO destination addresses, Delivery Confirmation service may not always provide the mailer with online information regarding the date and time of an event scan.

10.2.2 Eligible Matter
[4-17-11] Delivery Confirmation is available for First-Class Mail parcels; all Priority Mail pieces (including Critical Mail); Standard Mail prepared as Not Flat-Machinable pieces or as machinable or irregular parcels (electronic option only); Package Services, Parcel Select, and Parcel Select Regional Ground parcels (electronic option only) under 401.1.0. For the purposes of using Delivery Confirmation with a Package Services or Parcel Select parcel, the parcel must meet these additional requirements:

a. The surface area of the address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain completely and legibly the delivery address, return address, postage, and any applicable markings, endorsements, and extra service labels.

b. Except as provided in 10.2.2c, the parcel must be greater than 3/4 inch thick at its thickest point.

c. If the mailpiece is a parcel under 401.1.0 and no greater than 3/4 inch thick, the contents must be prepared in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed and the container is secured. The parcel must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout processing and handling without collapsing into a letter-size or flat-size piece.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Section quoted below is from the domestic mail manual - that huge book. Section 10.2.2
The problem with my piece was that it was less than 1/4 inch even though it was ridgid enough to be charged at parcel rates. Which is covered in sec 401.1 and that I won't quote here as it's more lengthy and complex than this bit. And that's a big part of why so few postal clerks actually understand the rules. For more just go to http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/dmm300_landing.htm

I've had them look in the book often enough that the people at the branch office don't check anymore. The main office will, but I'm quite happy with my BA againt with them. I think they're 1 for 6.

Anyone here work for an antivenin lab? I'd love to have a box that live scorpions were mailed in. (sec 9.3.9)

Steve B

10.2 Basic Information
10.2.1 Description
Delivery Confirmation service provides the mailer with information about the date and time an article was delivered and, if delivery was attempted but not successful, the date and time of the delivery attempt. Delivery Confirmation service is available only at the time of mailing. No record is kept at the office of mailing. Delivery Confirmation service does not include insurance, but insurance may be purchased as an additional service (see 10.2.6). Some statutes and regulations governing the mailing of documents with legal significance may require the use of Certified Mail or Registered Mail rather than Delivery Confirmation. For mailings to APO/FPO/DPO destination addresses, Delivery Confirmation service may not always provide the mailer with online information regarding the date and time of an event scan.

10.2.2 Eligible Matter
[4-17-11] Delivery Confirmation is available for First-Class Mail parcels; all Priority Mail pieces (including Critical Mail); Standard Mail prepared as Not Flat-Machinable pieces or as machinable or irregular parcels (electronic option only); Package Services, Parcel Select, and Parcel Select Regional Ground parcels (electronic option only) under 401.1.0. For the purposes of using Delivery Confirmation with a Package Services or Parcel Select parcel, the parcel must meet these additional requirements:

a. The surface area of the address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain completely and legibly the delivery address, return address, postage, and any applicable markings, endorsements, and extra service labels.

b. Except as provided in 10.2.2c, the parcel must be greater than 3/4 inch thick at its thickest point.

c. If the mailpiece is a parcel under 401.1.0 and no greater than 3/4 inch thick, the contents must be prepared in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed and the container is secured. The parcel must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout processing and handling without collapsing into a letter-size or flat-size piece.

Thanks for posting that steve B.

Looks like section "c" is what gets overlooked occasionally, leading to some postage due claims.

I didn't see a 1/4" inch mention in there, but if that is what it goes by it's helpful to know. I know I pack my rigids much thicker then that, so it puts my mind at ease a bit.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Bill Hedin

Default postage due

I was using a small post office branch near me on the outskirts of my city.
I sent and paid to mail a book media rate with the clerk. Apparently, after I left the clerk some how placed my package in the priority bin and my buyer got it with postage due. I was so embarrassed.I i offered to refund the 3 or so dollars but the buyer was so happy with the merchandise he said not to worry about it. But, I do! We have had repeat business and no more postage due issues as I now use the big postal hub in my city!
Frustrating, yes! Embarrassing, yes!
I guess people make mistakes and as long as the buyer and seller are honest, it will work out!
Regards,
Bill Hedin
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Eric Bea.chley

The one time the P.O. clerk said my package wasn't thick enough I asked her to hold on a moment, walked over to the convenience counter, picked out a pamphlet for "stop-mail services", folded it twice, opened the package and shoved it in, asked for and received a piece of tape, then resealed it.

I did it without being rude, afterall she was correct in her assessment. Now it was over 3/4" thick and it didn't cost me any extra.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I hate to admit it because I think the net effect of service industry automation is often negative in that it saves no actual money but simply shifts it to computers, repairs and technology at the expense of jobs BUT I usually go to the automated postal kiosk because employees at the post office can be so difficult. I am sure the machines consistently cost me less than the employees to mail the same package....so long as they are not out of order.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I hate to admit it because I think the net effect of service industry automation is often negative in that it saves no actual money but simply shifts it to computers, repairs and technology at the expense of jobs BUT I usually go to the automated postal kiosk because employees at the post office can be so difficult. I am sure the machines consistently cost me less than the employees to mail the same package....so long as they are not out of order.
I get along great with the clerks in my local P.O., but I do get annoyed sometimes when they weigh my smaller Internationals on the scale before removing all the customs copies. It used to not be a big deal because it was only a single small label, but now it's in triplicate and much meatier then it used to be.

Sometimes it only takes a fraction of an ounce to bump a package into the next weight class, costing a buck or two more.

I never say anything because they treat me very well there, but I think somebody did say something to them, because they seem to be getting better about removing the forms before weighing.

Either that, or I'm influencing them with my Jedi mind tricks.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

The 1/4 inch is in 401.1 but the section is another 3 paragraphs of governmentese so I didn't quote it.

The branch I use is pretty good. And there usually isn't much of a line. They've said that if I have click and ship I can just put it on the end of the counter, but I usually wait in line so the other people don't get mad. And I've done a lot less shipping the last couple years. I do need to get going and sell more stuff
The main office is sometimes difficult, but it's quite urban and the stuff they deal with would make me cranky too.
"What? I have to put this VCR in a box to ship it to Guatemala?"- It had the remote and wiring with it, and not taped on either.
" why can't I stuff 5 sweatshirts into a flat rate envelope and keep it ball shaped with twine and tape" Seriously, it looked like a ball of sweatshirts with a few bits of priority envelope taped to it.
"44 cents for a stamp?! I thought they were only 42 cents so that's all I brought" - Months after the rate went up.

I Have no idea how they manage that all day long and remain polite.

So I really make an effort to know details about what I'm shipping and why it qualifies for the rate I want. Like 16mm film going media mail. No, no 16mm is flammable, but some 35mm is and media allows motion picture film 16mm and less in width. They checked the book for that one, and haven't asked many questions since. When they do ask it's usally something like "why are you sending a book priority- It has advertising so it can't go media- Oh, ok."

Steve B