NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 PM
K!ya S@bet

Default Lowest Valued Rarities?

Throwing the basic economics of supply and demand out the window, what (if any) are the lowest priced pre war rarities out there?

I was just curious if one could acquire some rarer cards at a reasonable price.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think there are plenty like this because no one collects those cards for various reasons. For example of the sets that I collect, there are many cards in the 1920 w519 type 2 set that have a total graded population count of less than 5. However, if these cards were listed in a straight ebay auction starting at 99 cents, I wouldn't surprised if the ending price was less than $10. The Baguer Chocolate set that I also collect has a very low graded population count for most cards. However, most collectors dislike the small size of the "cards" so they are rarely collected and the prices if sold via straight ebay auction starting at 99 cents tends to be very low.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM

I think some/most of the low priced/valued rarities are so low priced/valued is because of their rarity.

T206's are common but some of the backs are really hard to find. However, because so many T206's were made and still in existence, it gives people hope when they start going after a certain back that either 1) given enough time and money they can find and acquire a number of them or 2) more will come out of the woodwork.

That is not true with a number of sets. The cards are so rare and don't come up very often that people don't get interested in them because they think they have no shot at completion no matter how much time or money they have.

David
Old 04-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Matt

I think the Frederick Foto Ruth is still tragically undervalued. And that bad boy is rare as hell. One day... One day.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-28-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think the Frederick Foto Ruth is still tragically undervalued. And that bad boy is rare as hell. One day... One day.
i realize it's all relative...but I don't think the OP is referring to 25-30K undervalued rarities?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM
JeR@Me

Default Low priced rarities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Throwing the basic economics of supply and demand out the window, what (if any) are the lowest priced pre war rarities out there?

I was just curious if one could acquire some rarer cards at a reasonable price.

If you want rare and low price, look no further than Type 1 Coupons (T213-1). When one occasionally comes available, they can be had in the $200-$400 range. Of course they are paper thin and super condition sensitive, but that makes them more attractive to me. Try finding one in a Grade 2 or higher. (Good luck with that...) Furthermore, when I say rare, I mean rare. To date there are less than 10 examples of any one type 1 coupon that have been slabbed by PSA,SGC,Beckett combined. (there are several with less than 5 slabbed in the type set) Depending on your definition of rare, I typically stick with 10 or less of any one example. One could throw the slabbed and the raw together and it would take a lifetime to count more than 10 exmples known of any one card. Coupons present tremendous value when you look at price and availability. (Of course there are some double entries with PSA/SGC so the slabbed number may actually be a little lower)

Edited to also add, I don't know of anyone with a complete Type 1 Coupon set. I have been waiting on confirmation of a complete type 1 set out on the west coast, but my source has yet to confirm it with his own eyes. Verbally of course - I spent 12 years trying to put one together and got to the high 50 count, but couldn't get those last few dozen. Gave up the ghost. A lot of fun trying though... Still would love to see an entire Type 1 set with my own eyes.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 04-28-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added info...
Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
If you want rare and low price, look no further than Type 1 Coupons (T213-1). When one occasionally comes available, they can be had in the $200-$400 range. Of course they are paper thin and super condition sensitive, but that makes them more attractive to me. Try finding one in a Grade 2 or higher. (Good luck with that...) Furthermore, when I say rare, I mean rare. To date there are less than 10 examples of any one type 1 coupon that have been slabbed by PSA,SGC,Beckett combined. (there are several with less than 5 slabbed in the type set) Depending on your definition of rare, I typically stick with 10 or less of any one example. One could throw the slabbed and the raw together and it would take a lifetime to count more than 10 exmples known of any one card. Coupons present tremendous value when you look at price and availability. (Of course there are some double entries with PSA/SGC so the slabbed number may actually be a little lower)

Edited to also add, I don't know of anyone with a complete Type 1 Coupon set. I have been waiting on confirmation of a complete type 1 set out on the west coast, but my source has yet to confirm it with his own eyes. Verbally of course - I spent 12 years trying to put one together and got to the high 50 count, but couldn't get those last few dozen. Gave up the ghost. A lot of fun trying though... Still would love to see an entire Type 1 set with my own eyes.

I agree with the rarity, but I can't comment on the price range, because I've never seen one actively for sale!! Just bad luck on my part, I guess, but if anyone has a T213-1 Dode Paskert out there, I'd really, really love to see it!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i realize it's all relative...but I don't think the OP is referring to 25-30K undervalued rarities?
Good call. I was mainly thinking rarities for less than $1000 give or take.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
If you want rare and low price, look no further than Type 1 Coupons (T213-1). When one occasionally comes available, they can be had in the $200-$400 range. Of course they are paper thin and super condition sensitive, but that makes them more attractive to me. Try finding one in a Grade 2 or higher. (Good luck with that...) Furthermore, when I say rare, I mean rare. To date there are less than 10 examples of any one type 1 coupon that have been slabbed by PSA,SGC,Beckett combined. (there are several with less than 5 slabbed in the type set) Depending on your definition of rare, I typically stick with 10 or less of any one example. One could throw the slabbed and the raw together and it would take a lifetime to count more than 10 exmples known of any one card. Coupons present tremendous value when you look at price and availability. (Of course there are some double entries with PSA/SGC so the slabbed number may actually be a little lowe

Is there a definitive set list for the Coupons?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
I agree with the rarity, but I can't comment on the price range, because I've never seen one actively for sale!! Just bad luck on my part, I guess, but if anyone has a T213-1 Dode Paskert out there, I'd really, really love to see it!!
Steve - They come around in cycles... might go a few months without seeing any then a few pop up, but they go quick. The price is usually reasonable, but sometimes I see them mislabeled or even misidentified on ebay as T206, etc. - Usually someone gets a deal in that case. Here's a pic of the Paskert I once owned - Long gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paskert_0001.jpg (73.6 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Paskert_0002.jpg (73.0 KB, 310 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Hank Thomas

OK, they aren't cards, but are included in most check lists, and I've always thought that silks (S-74 & S-81), flannels (B-18, Cravats, etc.) and stamps (Piedmont, Helmar, etc.), are tremendously undervalued given their age, attractiveness, and in most cases rarity as well. I guess it's got to be cardboard to be included in the mainstream, but if you're looking for bargains in the hobby this is a great place to look, IMO.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Bruce C.

How about E135-type blank backs? I haven't seen anything to suggest any more than 3 exist for any one card. They routinely sell for $20-$50.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Steve - They come around in cycles... might go a few months without seeing any then a few pop up, but they go quick. The price is usually reasonable, but sometimes I see them mislabeled or even misidentified on ebay as T206, etc. - Usually someone gets a deal in that case. Here's a pic of the Paskert I once owned - Long gone.
Thanks for posting the pic! It's good to know that Dode is out there somewhere, justing waiting for me!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM
JeR@Me

Default Set List

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Is there a definitive set list for the Coupons?
Yes there is a definitive list. 68 or 69 best I recall. 20 of those are SLer's. In my opinion they are even a little more rare than the rest of the bunch. (All very tough to acquire)

Lipset guide, SCD-Krause, or online list have them...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
OK, they aren't cards, but are included in most check lists, and I've always thought that silks (S-74 & S-81), flannels (B-18, Cravats, etc.) and stamps (Piedmont, Helmar, etc.), are tremendously undervalued given their age, attractiveness, and in most cases rarity as well. I guess it's got to be cardboard to be included in the mainstream, but if you're looking for bargains in the hobby this is a great place to look, IMO.
Couldn't agree more. B18s and BF2s are generally pretty inexpensive, even the stars. And Cravats are extremely scarce. There are only a few known examples of each cataloged example, yet they often only go for a few hundred when they turn up.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664