NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-27-2023, 05:06 PM
Benj.amin Mc.Ginn

Default 1976 Hostess Big Wheels Uncut 10 Box Sheet w/ George Brett & Hank Aaron

I just picked up a pretty cool 1976 Hostess Big Wheels Uncut Sheet w/ 10 Boxes (3 cards per box).
Hall of Famers: George Brett, Hank Aaron, Rollie Fingers, Bert Blyleven, Ted Simmons.

I cannot find anything on this piece. I did find an 2020 REA auction that sold a 4 box double sided uncut sheet that was an error/overprint.

Link:
https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...-on-both-sides

In my research I found that Big Wheels are an east coast regional issue similar to Ding Dongs.

I was hoping to find out what its worth but perhaps its an auction item.
Any experts who can help and chime in would be greatly appreciated.
Super cool piece!
Thanks for all of your help!

I have more photos on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100092991852185
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9021.jpg (203.5 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9028.jpg (199.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9029.jpg (199.7 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9033.jpg (201.7 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9035.jpg (201.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9039.jpg (191.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9040.jpg (178.3 KB, 241 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 05:12 PM
Mike

Cant help you with the value, but really nice item. Amazing condition!
Old 11-27-2023, 05:17 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug06 View Post
Cant help you with the value, but really nice item. Amazing condition!
+1 cool item.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

As a New Yorker on the West Coast, I still have no idea what their ridiculous versions of snack food names are. If it's a hockey puck shaped, chocolate frosted baked good with delicious cream filling, it will always be a frickin' RING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Whoops! Forgot to mention, that is an epically cool pick-up!!!!!!!!!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-27-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:38 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
As a New Yorker on the West Coast, I still have no idea what their ridiculous versions of snack food names are. If it's a hockey puck shaped, chocolate frosted baked good with delicious cream filling, it will always be a frickin' RING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Whoops! Forgot to mention, that is an epically cool pick-up!!!!!!!!!!!)
With the foil!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2023, 09:11 PM
Curt

Pretty sure those were Ding Dongs in my area in the late 70s. Ring Ding sounds odd to me and Big Wheel was a plastic 3 wheeled toy you rode as a small child (if you were lucky enough to have one...I was not).

Mod Pizza sells a dessert similar to them now.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:28 AM
Albert Bee

Default Hostess

and dont forget the ever popular - Ho Ho's ( Hoe Hoe's ?? )
Old 11-29-2023, 10:06 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Value is always difficult to assess when it comes to a piece like this. It's not like there's a crazy active market in these sheets, and we can look at the last 10 sales to evaluate the market.

My overall sense is that it's probably not worth a whole lot, although I suppose I could be surprised in an auction if a couple of bidders fall in love with it and go nuts.

Probably most importantly, most of the hostess issues just don't have crazy strong demand, at least relative to supply. There's only so many collectors who want these, and there always seem to be plenty of the pieces available. While that action is for panels, complete boxes, or individual items, it's hard to imagine that collectors would suddenly come out of the woodwork for this piece, more than they would for the routine hostess pieces that trade on the market.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's really big. Big stuff can often be problematic, just because it takes up so much space, it's prone to damage, and it's difficult to display. For most of us, it doesn't easily slide right into our collections, in a physical sense. While there is a small subset of collectors who want big stuff like Topps complete sheets, when it comes to issues like this, my sense is that size is a detriment.

If I had to guess, I would say probably 3 figures. Maybe a few hundred if you can find the right buyer. Maybe a little bit more on a really good day? But due to the reasons outlined above, it's hard to see this one going for much more.

Now that I've pronounced it as being not worth a whole lot, maybe everyone will come out of the woodwork to disagree.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 11-29-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:26 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Value is always difficult to assess when it comes to a piece like this. It's not like there's a crazy active market in these sheets, and we can look at the last 10 sales to evaluate the market.

My overall sense is that it's probably not worth a whole lot, although I suppose I could be surprised in an auction if a couple of bidders fall in love with it and go nuts.

Probably most importantly, most of the hostess issues just don't have crazy strong demand, at least relative to supply. There's only so many collectors who want these, and there always seem to be plenty of the pieces available. While that action is for panels, complete boxes, or individual items, it's hard to imagine that collectors would suddenly come out of the woodwork for this piece, more than they would for the routine hostess pieces that trade on the market.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's really big. Big stuff can often be problematic, just because it takes up so much space, it's prone to damage, and it's difficult to display. For most of us, it doesn't easily slide right into our collections, in a physical sense. While there is a small subset of collectors who want big stuff like Topps complete sheets, when it comes to issues like this, my sense is that size is a detriment.

If I had to guess, I would say probably 3 figures. Maybe a few hundred if you can find the right buyer. Maybe a little bit more on a really good day? But due to the reasons outlined above, it's hard to see this one going for much more.

Now that I've pronounced it as being not worth a whole lot, maybe everyone will come out of the woodwork to disagree.
I would say maybe 3 figures. It has 3 big things going against it. Size, small amount of cards, and desirability. There are only 30 cards and the panels sell cheaply.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:00 AM

I agree with Ben, but would guess a little higher on prices. I collect 1975 Hostess Twinkies and full sheets of other cards, mainly Topps sheets. Sheets are difficult to store flat and to store in a humidity controlled environment which limits collectors for this product.

That being said, the value of a sheet approximates the breakup value of the individual star cards +/- as a rough range. Add a slight premium for rarity of sheet, condition of borders and completeness of the sheet. If I were bidding on this sheet at auction, I would probably be on the high side of the range because I have not seen a sheet like this in other auctions.

Nice sheet though.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:11 AM
John Gregory

I found this from a recent REA auction. Spring 2022, lot # 1800. It's a 10-box sheet on 1977 Big Wheel boxes and it doesn't look as clean as your sample, especially along the edges.

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...boxes-30-cards

--John

Tags
big wheels, hof, hostess, twinkies, uncut sheet