NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 PM

Default New addition to E121-80 checklist...Meadows

Unless this is a front/back fabrication (perhaps a modified E135 Collins-McCarthy) from a card MD which got past the grading company, this Meadows is a new addition to the E121-80 checklist. Not just a team variation, but a completely new card unknown before now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-E121-AM...-/390685687180

I think the winner got an incredible bargain. It amazes me what is still undiscovered out there...this set has been hanging around 90 years, and no Meadows until now?

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 10-27-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added thrilling last line and dashing new title
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Looks like it... I'm one of the really bummed out under bidders. I should have gone higher but I don't think it would have mattered. I just checked the really tough Tom Rogers off the E121-80 want list and now I get to replace it with an even tougher card! Note that it has the Type 4 back as well, being that it has the earlier E135 style front along with being a subject that wasn't utilized in any of the later E121 type sets may indicate that the Type 4 E121 back may actually be the earliest one? Just when I think I have things figured out another question comes up!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Kevin Andrews

This set certainly has more twists and turns than any other in the hobby. I had another collector ask me at one time why not focus on the Ruth and Cobb cards instead of chasing the scarcities. In my opinion the Cobb and Ruth cards (other than the Ruth that is one of the scarcities) can be had at almost any time. The scarce Rodgers, Meadows, Gaston and the many other tough Giants and Yankees are the true availability barriers to completing this bad boy! Cobb and Ruth are just a matter of money.

Rhett - Glad to hear you found a Rodgers card. I'm curious to know which reverse it has on it. Mine was destroyed to the point that you couldn't tell if it was a Type 1 or Type 3.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Default A singular Meadows

What I think is coolest about this card is that a Meadows card is not found in any of the E121-80 versions (now it is!) nor in the E121-120 series set. Over the years the checklist for the E121-80 series have had numerous cards that have not been verified, but Meadows had never shown up on any list.

Imagine finding a previously undiscovered T206 card or even just a new proof that wasn't issued...that is how impressive this find is. Congrats to the new owner.

Brian
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I knew this card would clear the $1000 mark ! Unfortunately I was not the winner
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Rare Specs

I didn't know whether it would reach 4 figures. I made what I thought was a strong bid, but also fell short. For the three hundredth time, Rhett, will you please stop whatever you are doing and write at least one book about the set of 80?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
For the three hundredth time, Rhett, will you please stop whatever you are doing and write at least one book about the set of 80?
+1
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-baseball View Post

Rhett - Glad to hear you found a Rodgers card. I'm curious to know which reverse it has on it. Mine was destroyed to the point that you couldn't tell if it was a Type 1 or Type 3.
It is a Type 3 as I would have expected. It actually came in a pretty well hidden lot that had the "Type 3" mother lode if you will (I had only accumulated 13 total of that back and doubled my holdings with this one pickup! ... (the ones you can't see the fronts of are Judge, Kerr, and Holke (Portrait))

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
It is a Type 3 as I would have expected. It actually came in a pretty well hidden lot that had the "Type 3" mother lode if you will (I had only accumulated 13 total of that back and doubled my holdings with this one pickup! ... (the ones you can't see the fronts of are Judge, Kerr, and Holke (Portrait))

Very cool. Congratulations. I believe that I have only 1, a McGraw.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Kevin Andrews

Card came in the mail yesterday. From what I can see through the slab it looks good - doesn't look re-backed. Creases / wrinkles match front and back and the Type 4 reverse IS reversed like all the others. I'm going to attempt crossover to SGC just to make sure (and so it matches the remainder of my set). There is a slight ghost on the reverse. Looks like it sat on top of another Meadows card but I can't be 100% sure.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Default Lookin' good!

A belated congratulations to Kevin...in my eyes this is a significant, out of the blue discovery of an absolutely new card from a somewhat popular and collected set. How often does that happen? Let us know how the SGC crossover turns out.

Brian
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What a cool find, congrats Kevin.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Kevin Andrews

Finally got this card crossed over to SGC (at the recent Strongsville, Ohio show). It dropped a half grade but it know matches the remainder of my (registry) set.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM

Nice job Kevin