NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2020, 06:01 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Don’t really have a dog in this message board fight but diseases like this bring what’s important to the front. I’m deemed essential and I go home everyday praying I didn’t get it and that I don’t spread it to my family. Many topics end up on this page that honestly probably don’t fit the criteria for being here. Does it really need to escalate to the point of name calling and expletives? Dpeck, have no issue with what you did and I for one enjoy your posts.

Everyone please stay safe and healthy!
Thank you.

I have posted plenty of comments over the years where I expected heat and got it because I think for myself and post what I believe and don't follow the heard.

Under no circumstances in my wildest dreams did I think my comment would be viewed as out of line or controversial hence the response.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The NSCC board is consulting with top experts on the issue:

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-18-2020, 07:41 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I canceled my hotel reservation for the National today. I also canceled my hotel reservation for the Brimfield May show week.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 04-18-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

LOL is that a NSCC board member or their expert?

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 04-18-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:54 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I canceled my hotel reservation for the National today. I also canceled my hotel reservation for the Brimfield May show week.

Jeff
Brimfield was cancelled 2 weeks ago

Last edited by yanks12025; 04-19-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hotel I tried yesterday isnt taking any reservations yet.

Still 3 months away

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Brimfield was cancelled 2 weeks ago

I hadn't heard that...thanks Brock.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Thank you.

I have posted plenty of comments over the years where I expected heat and got it because I think for myself and post what I believe and don't follow the heard.

Under no circumstances in my wildest dreams did I think my comment would be viewed as out of line or controversial hence the response.
Sometimes this can happen on the forum:

Old 04-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
LOL is that a NSCC board member or their expert?
Is there a difference???

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Is there a difference???
Not in my eyes. Idiocy at it's best. We didn't know how good it was until Mike B was gone. It's too bad. He always did such a great job and now it's a total cluster, imo, and many others opinions too.

I will still go to most of them if they aren't in AC because they are still the best and biggest show out there. I sure wish there was a different National where we could just blow them off.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Scott Russell

When you can't even get them to return multiple attempts at contacting them to get on their dealer waiting list you know they need some kind of competition. They act like they're the only game in town, because at that level, they are. I'd love to see one of the big promoters go head to head with them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 04-22-2020, 11:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
When you can't even get them to return multiple attempts at contacting them to get on their dealer waiting list you know they need some kind of competition. They act like they're the only game in town, because at that level, they are. I'd love to see one of the big promoters go head to head with them.
The part in bold would be a dream come true.

Somebody else please enter the fray for 2021... plenty of time to plan, prepare and publicize!

Last edited by perezfan; 04-22-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Mike Biggans

And the fact is, there is room in the market for another big time show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2020, 07:24 PM

Seriously, let's get back on topic -- which is on the NSCC.

What kind of "National" could be held in July? Could it be postponed until later in the year rather than cancelled entirely?

How many of the exhibitors will attend or will they take their "one in five" opt out for this year?

How many of the corporate sponsors will set up?

How many of the collectors will show up?

It's really not a win-win situation for the NSCC or the exhibitors especially in the Atlantic City Convention Center.

I would hope that the NSCC Committee makes the right decision based on the input they get from local and national officials and the convention center itself.

Steve
Old 04-22-2020, 07:34 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

No way it’s happening. Zilch. As of yesterday the convention center is a hospital.

I guess the organizers are hoping for some miracle that won’t happen. Even if the AC people somehow give the ok, dealers and potential visitors will take a pass in huge numbers.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Must be in anticipation of that second wave. The convention center is being used to treat non-covid patients

Central park field hospital with 70 staff treated only 140 patients

Javits center in NY largely empty 2500 beds

Us Navy Hospital ship 1000 beds, had 3 patients, no longer needed.

Its over 3 months away, try to look on the bright side.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I didn't see a lot of off topic. Almost all about the NSCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
Seriously, let's get back on topic -- which is on the NSCC.

What kind of "National" could be held in July? Could it be postponed until later in the year rather than cancelled entirely?

How many of the exhibitors will attend or will they take their "one in five" opt out for this year?

How many of the corporate sponsors will set up?

How many of the collectors will show up?

It's really not a win-win situation for the NSCC or the exhibitors especially in the Atlantic City Convention Center.

I would hope that the NSCC Committee makes the right decision based on the input they get from local and national officials and the convention center itself.

Steve
Old 04-23-2020, 06:05 AM

Default National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No way it’s happening. Zilch. As of yesterday the convention center is a hospital.

I guess the organizers are hoping for some miracle that won’t happen. Even if the AC people somehow give the ok, dealers and potential visitors will take a pass in huge numbers.

Steve, some folks are still holding out hope that the show does occur this summer. If not this summer, perhaps in the fall. I think everyone is looking forward to doing things they enjoy in life. Being optimistic is a good thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE93xON8jk
Old 04-23-2020, 06:36 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Steve, some folks are still holding out hope that the show does occur this summer. If not this summer, perhaps in the fall. I think everyone is looking forward to doing things they enjoy in life. Being optimistic is a good thing.

Fantastic skit, Toby - anyone needing a few minutes of laughter during this crappy stretch should definitely watch this Debbie Downer SNL skit!
Old 04-23-2020, 09:56 AM

Default The National

Quote:

Well said Toby! The last thing we need in this environment is continuous negativity. Whatever happens will happen, but let’s try and retain some optimism here.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Being optimistic is a good thing. Being realistic is a better thing.

Take a look at what has happened with other countries that had this before us and then relaxed their quarantines. Not particularly promising.

Quote:

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-23-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

A fall show would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Scott Russell

Count me among the pessimists I guess. Originally we moved our live auctions to online and cancelled May altogether. We don't do live auctions over the summer and we were hoping to put together an amazing "welcome back" auction for September. Now I am starting to make plans for not being able to do live auctions this fall. I do miss live bid-calling

Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Decision will be made on 5/30.

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/c...p-319975679853

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-23-2020, 11:08 PM
Jonathan Sterling

In case anyone is interested the Gilead drug was shown to have inconclusive results in first trial. I live here in NJ and there were 74 new cases in my town today with over a Thousand so far. I keep paraying for a vaccine so that I can get back to enjoying Family and Friends. Hope all are stsying safe. I would not attend a card show this Summer unless I was vaccinated.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
In case anyone is interested the Gilead drug was shown to have inconclusive results in first trial. I live here in NJ and there were 74 new cases in my town today with over a Thousand so far. I keep paraying for a vaccine so that I can get back to enjoying Family and Friends. Hope all are stsying safe. I would not attend a card show this Summer unless I was vaccinated.
The results were leaked and reported by the WHO. According to Gilead the results were actually positive and the trial in China was flawed. The reaction in the stock was negative but not one that kills all hope as it is still higher than when the information came out last week. The data on the trial that is taking place in the US is coming out in early May.

There are quite a few other companies that will be releasing trial results with similar drugs and lets all hope someone has something.

In terms of a vaccine there is a company Moderna that believes they have one. I was speaking to someone this week who lives in Boston where they are based and is neighbors with someone in the company and they believe they have it and it could be fast tracked to be approved in 18 months or less. The market has pumped this stock up dramatically in recent months on this belief.

It gives me hope that we have so many talented individuals working non stop to try and help solve this crisis.

I live in Central Florida and with so much activity surrounding vacations and conventions it is going to hit us very hard and there are a lot of people hurting financially quickly.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 04-24-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If I was a dealer and offered a no-penalty chance to skip the show I would take it in a heartbeat. I would bet that a sizable # of collectors will not attend a show this summer and that a sizable # of dealers will not do so as well. Even if I had no fear of the bug, I think the no-shows are going to make for lousy sales.

Let's be candid here: canceling the show is probably better for our health. We are predominantly a bunch of fat, middle-aged to late middle-aged white guys with additional medical risk factors for complications from the virus. Absent a vaccine or treatment, it just isn't worth it...to paraphrase a quote from Repo Man, only an @$$hole gets killed for baseball cards.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-24-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:22 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Hey I resemble that remark!

Not like there will be "better deals" since nobody is walking the floor.

If its cancelled:
I'll miss the camaraderie, above the overpriced merchandise. As well as the chance to have the show within driving distance, with some form of other entertainment in walking distance.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:50 AM

Default Skipping the National

Quote:
If I was a dealer and offered a no-penalty chance to skip the show I would take it in a heartbeat.
If a dealer desires they can skip the National every five years without penalty anyway. I skipped the last Anaheim National in 2006 and was credited with the year as far as priority years in booth selection.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:11 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Where is Mr. Mint when you need him? He would kick ass, take names and get some needed answers from the powers-to-be about the fate of the 2020 National.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Jim B.

Love the RepoMan reference ExhibitMan-
"I shall not cause harm to any card, nor to the personal contents thereof; nor through inaction let that card, or the personal contents thereof, come to harm. It's what I call the repo code, kid. Don't forget it - etch it in your brain. Not many people got a code to live by any more."

Last edited by BabyRuth; 04-24-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
Love the RepoMan reference ExhibitMan-
"I shall not cause harm to any card, nor to the personal contents thereof; nor through inaction let that card, or the personal contents thereof, come to harm. It's what I call the repo code, kid. Don't forget it - etch it in your brain. Not many people got a code to live by any more."
Glad you caught that, Jim. One of my alltime favorite movies.

Debbi: Duke, let's go do some crimes.
Duke: Yeah. Let's go get sushi and not pay.

Miller: The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Duke: The lights are growing dim Otto. I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate, and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am.
Otto: That's bull$$$$. You're a white suburban punk just like me.
Duke: Yeah, but it still hurts.

J. Frank Parnell: Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year. They ought to have to....

Leila: What about our relationship?
Otto: What?
Leila: Our relationship!
Otto: F^< k that!

Bud: A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-29-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:51 AM
I@n Cl@rke

"Not my face!! (smash) ..... My face!!!"

Saw as a little kid, still love this movie... and maybe the best movie song ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7KcasScIU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repo man.jpg (67.5 KB, 758 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As for the National, like many have said, hopefully one of the bigger shows will try to do a National. From speaking with dealers, hobbyists and AH's it seems almost no one likes the way the National is run any longer. In fact most think it's terrible. When you have Rick being their spokesperson it is indicative of their many issues. First of all, replace all board members. .....

That movie song which is your favorite really shows that there are different strokes for different folks. It sounds like poor elevator music to me. Nothing personal and I am probably the only one who doesn't care for it.

Apparently you haven't watched this. One of my fave musical movies of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umj0gu5nEGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post

Saw as a little kid, still love this movie... and maybe the best movie song ever.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:35 AM
Br1an N0Iff

Anyone know what dealers are on the board?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post

I like Iggy best of all (the opening credits)

https://youtu.be/UjaM7YgwjI4

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-28-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Jim B.

This thread is always intense!!
Old 04-28-2020, 08:09 PM

In my opinion, it seems like there are a small handful of individuals who are dissatisfied (and keep voicing their opinions) with how the National is run. I am NOT one of them although I do have one issue.

I have exhibited at well over 1,000 shows in the past 44 years, including over 400 shows that I promoted with my partner (two monthly shows over 15 and 22 years) and can honestly say that I think the National is the best show I have ever set up at. The National has a lot to offer collectors, exhibitors, corporate sponsors and athletes. Can anyone else gather that many people together for this purpose every year?

Is the NSCC Committee perfect? I think they get the job done. My main issue is that it gets rather boring to visit Chicago every other year. I would like to see more of a variety in National locations. In fact, I would love to see a National that is held twice a year in locations that make it easier for different collectors to attend one or more of them. Either way, I would want all members of the NSCC to be able to vote on future site locations which is what we do now. Actually, I would also love to see the NSCC Committee lay out all of the facts for this year's National and ask us via questionnaire whether this year's National is a good idea for July 2020 in the Atlantic City
Convention Center.

I think the National is fabulous and would be sad if I have to exercise my one in five this year rather than see the show delayed or cancelled. My mind is not made up yet and I really want to exhibit as always but I have to face the facts that a coronavirus serum or shot is nowhere in sight. Unless we see a large decline in cases and deaths in the country, and in particular, New Jersey, that decision may be a difficult one.

Steve

P.S. - I am interested in hearing the same and other opinions but please be literate, courteous and on target. Also, let's hear from some others that have not posted yet, as we know what the 3 or 4 previous posters have already said. Also and most important, let us know if you exhibit every year at the National, or just want to stir up the troops.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:09 PM
DR
David R@tliff

OK - I'll offer my 2 cents.

I think they should cancel this year's show already, but waiting to end of May I don't believe changes the outcome. I can almost guarantee a ton of the dealers are going to opt for their year out.

I also think most collectors who haven't booked the travel already will be pretty hesitant still to book it. Unfortunately, location this year also contributes to the issue since you can't really get to AC direct from anywhere unless you're driving. I'm in Texas, so it's a hassle to get there regardless of the pandemic and other issues.

Also, economics of unemployment and other similar issues also won't help in robust attendance.

Then you've got the issue of getting the autograph guests to reconfirm attendance? How many of them may opt out?

That's just too much administration to cover in my view. If it does actually go on, dealer and attendance will be severely impacted I'm sure. Why take the risk? Believe me, I'd love for the show to go on but I also know that's wishful thinking because I seriously doubt I would go at this point.

Realistically, this year's location also contributes additional issues beyond what's going on in the world right now.

As far as future sites, I don't mind Chicago because it's easy in and out. I was surprised how much I didn't hate Cleveland. I wasn't really looking forward to AC again, just because of transit considerations.

I would like to see another west coast again - I remember 2006 Anaheim fondly, and it's not that bad in and out of there and the other stuff to do let's families plan vacations around it.

I wouldn't mind a return to Houston/Dallas, but that's just me being a homer.

Don't know what I'd think about Baltimore. Transit considerations would probably have me lean against just because there aren't as many flight options into there.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:19 PM

Default short version

There are many locations/venues that can't host the National for one reason or another:

Some venues are too small and/or don't have enough hotel rooms
Some venues are not convenient to airports
Some venues/cities the union stuff too expensive and/or other legal issues
Some venues charge too much for having events in their building
Some venues/cities are not good baseball and/or sports towns
Some venues don't want it scheduled too far in the future. In other words, the venue wants the National committee to tell them practically in June or July that they want the show in their facility. But the National committee needs a few years in advance. (One of the Baltimore shows replaced Cleveland at the last minute a few years ago)

etc,... etc,... etc,...etc,... etc,... etc,...etc,... etc,... etc,...etc,... etc,...

After all of this analysis, it turns out Chicago and Cleveland are the only cities that don't have any of these issues and this is why they are always alternating it between these two cities.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
There are many locations/venues that can't host the National for one reason or another:

Some venues are too small and/or don't have enough hotel rooms
Some venues are not convenient to airports
Some venues/cities the union stuff too expensive and/or other legal issues
Some venues charge too much for having events in their building
Some venues/cities are not good baseball and/or sports towns
Some venues don't want it scheduled too far in the future. In other words, the venue wants the National committee to tell them practically in June or July that they want the show in their facility. But the National committee needs a few years in advance. (One of the Baltimore shows replaced Cleveland at the last minute a few years ago)

etc,... etc,... etc,...etc,... etc,... etc,...etc,... etc,... etc,...etc,... etc,...

After all of this analysis, it turns out Chicago and Cleveland are the only cities that don't have any of these issues and this is why they are always alternating it between these two cities.
Chicago not having union problems... something I never expected to hear.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
This thread is always intense!!
Yes it is. BTW, I also have an original press kit from Repo Man.

Or not...
Old 04-30-2020, 08:01 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I think the biggest issue with a second National each year is timing. First week of August ensures everybody with kids doesn't have to deal with school and coverage. I can't see how would hold it in the winter.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:10 AM
Johnny MaZilli

2021 will be the Next National.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default NSCC Has Tough Decision

Greetings. A couple of days ago we all heard that the Baseball Hall of Fame induction is cancelled (July 24-27). Then this morning I woke up to the news that here in Chicago where I live the entire Ravinia Music Festival (June to September) was killed. That stunned me. First time since WW II.
Having read these posts, I agree with Steve in NY: None of us know ALL of the issues NSCC is facing. No need to bash. And I understand no decision will be made until the end of May.
Jewish-collector made some excellent points. Worth reading. I'm not going to repeat them but will share a quick story about unions at McCormick Place 10 years ago. My company had a booth. I wanted to move something from point A to Point B. But wasn't allowed to according to the rules. Had to go to the exhibitor booth, who then made a phone call and then a union guy came to make the simple move. Enough said. The situation might have changed since then because McCormick Place was losing shows. BUT I don't believe the same situation exists at the Rosemont Convention Center, making it an obvious repeat choice for the NSCC.
I do believe that the NSCC should cancel and (here comes the shameless plug!) wrote a blog about why. It posted today. You can check it out at my website, www.markearzoumanian.com. You will find it under "Love of the Hobby."
Stay healthy. Wash your hands. And to quote that great philosopher, Ringo Starr, "Peace and love. Peace and love."
Old 05-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Thanks Adam - I always loved that clip!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-01-2020, 01:48 PM

I have never heard one collector tell me they are excited to spend a ton of money, take a week off of work and fly out to the National so they can see the stuff the auction houses have on display in their 5000 square foot carpeted booths with couches and free pens, taking up half the show floor.

The biggest problem with the National is it used to be a HUGE show without really any limits on exhibitor space and very few corporate entities. It would take you a full day just to walk the floor in a hurry. Now, it is extremely limited and most of the booths are corporate. You can now see the whole show, without even being quick, stopping at every actual dealer table with inventory for sale in one day easy. It went from 1000-2000 dealers to now MAYBE 300-400 dealers once you eliminate the auction houses. It has shifted from a show designed for the collector to one centered around the corporate entity which has killed it for most people. It is insane that they can sell out dealer space within an hour a year in advance and teall dealers "sorry we are full". If there are hundreds of dealers wanting to do the show and can't, which there are, make the show bigger. I know it is not a venue issue because the same shows used to be twice the size in the same venues (Rosemont and Cleveland).

If they would go back to a collector centered event and not limit dealer space to make it "elite" and try to be like comic-con, it would have a huge following like it used to. It is sad to see something so loved by so many people basically become a corporate "look what we have coming up for you" event. It can easily be fixed, but their entire focus has shifted.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
Greetings. A couple of days ago we all heard that the Baseball Hall of Fame induction is cancelled (July 24-27). Then this morning I woke up to the news that here in Chicago where I live the entire Ravinia Music Festival (June to September) was killed. That stunned me. First time since WW II.
Having read these posts, I agree with Steve in NY: None of us know ALL of the issues NSCC is facing. No need to bash. And I understand no decision will be made until the end of May.
Jewish-collector made some excellent points. Worth reading. I'm not going to repeat them but will share a quick story about unions at McCormick Place 10 years ago. My company had a booth. I wanted to move something from point A to Point B. But wasn't allowed to according to the rules. Had to go to the exhibitor booth, who then made a phone call and then a union guy came to make the simple move. Enough said. The situation might have changed since then because McCormick Place was losing shows. BUT I don't believe the same situation exists at the Rosemont Convention Center, making it an obvious repeat choice for the NSCC.
I do believe that the NSCC should cancel and (here comes the shameless plug!) wrote a blog about why. It posted today. You can check it out at my website, www.markearzoumanian.com. You will find it under "Love of the Hobby."
Stay healthy. Wash your hands. And to quote that great philosopher, Ringo Starr, "Peace and love. Peace and love."
No Ravinia this year? I had not heard. That is huge and it is a mostly outdoor venue.

Much like the baseball season and now a local favorite like Ravinia, there will be no National this year. See ya all next year in Rosemont.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I have never heard one collector tell me they are excited to spend a ton of money, take a week off of work and fly out to the National so they can see the stuff the auction houses have on display in their 5000 square foot carpeted booths with couches and free pens, taking up half the show floor.

The biggest problem with the National is it used to be a HUGE show without really any limits on exhibitor space and very few corporate entities. It would take you a full day just to walk the floor in a hurry. Now, it is extremely limited and most of the booths are corporate. You can now see the whole show, without even being quick, stopping at every actual dealer table with inventory for sale in one day easy. It went from 1000-2000 dealers to now MAYBE 300-400 dealers once you eliminate the auction houses. It has shifted from a show designed for the collector to one centered around the corporate entity which has killed it for most people. It is insane that they can sell out dealer space within an hour a year in advance and teall dealers "sorry we are full". If there are hundreds of dealers wanting to do the show and can't, which there are, make the show bigger. I know it is not a venue issue because the same shows used to be twice the size in the same venues (Rosemont and Cleveland).

If they would go back to a collector centered event and not limit dealer space to make it "elite" and try to be like comic-con, it would have a huge following like it used to. It is sad to see something so loved by so many people basically become a corporate "look what we have coming up for you" event. It can easily be fixed, but their entire focus has shifted.
Awesome post.... absolutely on-point, and completely agree. It's so sad that they "sell out", thereby excluding actual Collector-friendly Booths. As usual, the "Mom & Pops" get screwed (along with west coast collectors).

This current crop won't change it back or make the necessary adjustments, so I suppose we just need to hope another management group will take the plunge.

Last edited by perezfan; 05-01-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Awesome post.... absolutely on-point, and completely agree. It's so sad that they "sell out", thereby excluding actual Collector-friendly Booths. As usual, the "Mom & Pops" get screwed (along with west coast collectors).

This current crop won't change it back or make the necessary adjustments, so I suppose we just need to hope another management group will take the plunge.
The last national I went to as a collector I spent a whopping $15. There's far more for me at the local shows than the natty.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 05-01-2020 at 08:42 PM.