NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Terrible situation. I keep my cards in a safe that requires both a key and combination that is also extremely heavy and fire and water proof. How were his cards secured?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Jim D

I think what CHicago might have been trying to say was that the card owner probably knows the thief, not the card owner was working with the thief.

An inside job in my opinion, not based on definition, was someone that may have been privy to seeing the owner use his alarm code.

This information could also be given to a "friend" to do the heist.

From what i gathered is this... the thief knew the owner was away and knew the alarm code..... just saying...

Another thing to check is the alarm company itself. There was a rash of break-ins that had been occuring in my vicinity and it turns out it was the alarm installation company. They would scope houses when they installed alarms and then they set up the alarm for the client, which includes entering his passcode. they now have the passcode and the owner has "piece of mind" so they let their guard down.

Ive also heard of an alarm company that would simulate a few break ins in an area then canvas the area offering their services... perfect timing so to speak!

No matter what the instance in this case, the cards listed will stick out like a sore thumb and will be near impossible to hide. Hopefully it isnt done in a private sale where it never comes to light.

all my best to your friend Ted..... i hope he recovers his cards... i lost 50k worth before and i know how much it sucks!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Sorry to hear about this, that's terrible...

as for monitered alarm systems. I had one installed a couple years ago and the few times I've set it off accidentally they've called the house within 20 seconds everytime of it going off to see if everything's okay. Maybe some companies aren't as good with the monitoring aspect but I havn't had any problems there.

It probably is best to at least put your best cards in a safe depos. box.

Anything you leave home, you should buy a serious safe like a previous person posted.

Don't go cheap on a safe, The cheap ones can be pryed open. Youtube gun safe videos (tests etc...) Get a heavy gauge steel safe with many thick locking bolts, make sure it has good fire rating etc. Get a good brand one, like Fort Knox, Browning, some others etc...

I just bought a Browning and am thrilled with it. It's like a Tank. 900lbs. Make sure the weight is very heavy because that means there's a lot of steel and it's not thin and crappy. Expect to pay probably a minium of 1500 ish for a decent gun safe. Depending on size, quality and features they can go for a lot more. Personally I'd recommend spending 2-4k+ and get a serious one. Get a dehumidifier for it. You can also put a small safe inside the big one(like a small sentry) to keep some stuff in for extra fire and water protection. Get as big of one as you have the space for. You can fill them up quick and it's always better to have more room since they'll last a lifetime.

Also, If you want it in a basement you have to consider possible flooding issues. Either from rain or burst water heater or pipes. You would at least want to elevate the safe and might want to look at how waterproof your basement is...

Last edited by yanksfan09; 04-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ALERT....huge, huge BB card collection theft

Jim D

Regarding your........
"From what i gathered is this... the thief knew the owner was away and knew the alarm code....."

Obviously, the thief(s) knew the family was away....but, "knew the alarm code" ? ? .... NO SO !

They broke in, disconnected power, and cut the wires to the alarm system.

TED Z
Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Jim D

ok i stand corrected, you had only said "disabled".... which most would take as being turned off. Shoots a big hole in my theory.

My guess is probably some punks, maybe from the neighborhood, that might have known the family was away.

either way, i hope they cut off the persons nutsack!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I am 60 mile north of NYC...I will keep an eye on the Hudson Valley & Northern NJ craigslist ads.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Fred

Ted,

Reading about this makes me want to throw up. I feel horrible for your friend.

I look for OJs all of the time. If I had scans to look at I could keep an eye open for any OJs that could pop up for sale.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default language

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
ok i stand corrected, you had only said "disabled".... which most would take as being turned off. Shoots a big hole in my theory.

My guess is probably some punks, maybe from the neighborhood, that might have known the family was away.

either way, i hope they cut off the persons nu*****!
Jim- please watch your language. I realize most of us have heard worse but we have younger children that read the board. Nothing personal....best regards
Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Pup6913

so we know whats gone but whats left of the collection. anything significant? anything else taken? Thats a big question in determining if it was targeted. They for sure would have to know what to take and only a friend and the homeowner would know this.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

My friends father had a very valuable fossil and gemstone collection in his house some of which was on display. One day the house was broken into and the alarm was also disabled in a similar manner. It turned out that only some stones and some valuable fossils were taken. It took the cops about 2-3 weeks to discover that it was friends of a cable installer that had done the job.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Jim D

My fault, I should have elaborated more than just saying "disabled". They cut wires and disrupted the alarm electronics.

I think the thieves are more "professional" than we are surmising. They knew what was high value in BB cards that they
took. They left behind many Non-Sports sets, Football sets, and miscel. cards. They also stole antiques and jewelry.

Now, it remains to be seen how "smart" they will be in unloading these stolen goods ?

TED Z
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Jim D

My fault, I should have elaborated more than just saying "disabled". They cut wires and disrupted the alarm electronics.

I think the thieves are more "professional" than we are surmising. They knew what was high value in BB cards that they
took. They left behind many Non-Sports sets, Football sets, and miscel. cards. They also stole antiques and jewelry.

Now, it remains to be seen how "smart" they will be in unloading these stolen goods ?

TED Z
You really need to get the word out about this on some of the bigger forums. This is a wonderful community, but it's a little small compared to some of the other ones out there. I would suggest you post this on the PSA forums and the FCB forums as a start.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM

If your friend is patient and has a careful ey, I'm sure he'll be able to spot serial numbers on the Bay or a major auction. It's something you'll have to be extremely on top of though. I hope he has the serials written down. That's one of the reasons I always photograph my cards in holder. A thief would have to be pretty smart and also pretty patient to break out each card and re-submit them all.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I'm reprising the initial post here to add some new new cards to the list.

long-time friend of mine (and perhaps some of you) arrived home this week to find his house broken into. The better part
of his BB card collection was stolen. It includes vintage BB & post-war cards that he has collected over the past 40 years.

I'm posting this here to alert everyone, in hopes that this collection might be recovered. Here are the highlights of it........

100+ Old Judge's

521-card T206 set....includes Plank (70 cards are Graded)....in Ex (or better) condition

T201, T202, T205 and T207 sets

1920's Strip (W-type) cards......including W514 Joe Jackson
Note......
All above T-cards and W-cards are in the miniature size top-loader plastics.

1933, '34, '35, '36 Goudey sets in Near Mint condition

1951-1970's Topps sets, including......
Near Mint, near complete 1952 Topps set Master set (500+ cards)
Mint 1955 Topps set

Most HOFer's and Rookie cards from 1951 - 1970's (in Near Mint condition)......
1948 Bowman Musial, 1954 Bowman Ted Williams, 1954 Aaron, 1955 Koufax, etc.

All Mantle cards from 1951 - 1969, including......

1951 Bowman's (2 cards, and one with a mark on it)
1952 Berk-Ross with writing on back
1952 Topps Mantle has a minute pinhole
1954 Dan Dee that is exceptional

Please be on the look-out for such a large (or parts of this) collection.

Any help in recovering this collection will be greatly appreciated.

TED Z
Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jim- please watch your language. I realize most of us have heard worse but we have younger children that read the board. Nothing personal....best regards

My apologies, didnt mean to offend anyone. Its alot softer of what i truly wanted to post(and probably many others ) if thats any consolation. I do get wound up when i hear about stuff like this, especially this type of dollar amount. I cant even begin to imagine how upset this guy must be!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
David McDonald

Default Hang the Thieves, Take Two

Although no one has called me on it I hereby acknowledge that my earlier post in this thread was plagiarized verbatim from an older post made by a temporarily exiled Net54er. I thought the writing style would be a tip off. Regardless I am in full agreement with Mr. Dorskind on such matters. A little batting practice on their heads prior to a bilateral orchidectomy doesn't upset this liberal pussy one bit. Hope they catch the asterisks!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Although no one has called me on it I hereby acknowledge that my earlier post in this thread was plagiarized verbatim from an older post made by a temporarily exiled Net54er. I thought the writing style would be a tip off. Regardless I am in full agreement with Mr. Dorskind on such matters. A little batting practice on their heads prior to a bilateral orchidectomy doesn't upset this liberal pussy one bit. Hope they catch the asterisks!
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you the cards back soon.

Have the police fingerprinted the area where the cards
were? With a little bit of luck they can identify the
thieves.

It would not be bad if they were caught, and they got
in the wrong line of fire, or if you decided to use
their heads as a batting practice.

Here is hoping.....

Dang it, I'm slipping. The random line breaks also were a tip-off.

I must, however, thank you, David, for the opportunity to execute a double quote. Oh, happy day.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Rawn Hill

I'll keep an eye out in Maine and I Really like Mark's idea for a "lost or Stolen" section. As a security guy, I can assure you that unless you get a real system, they a very easy to disable. It does not take a professional to do it.

Rawn
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you the cards back soon.

Have the police fingerprinted the area where the cards
were? With a little bit of luck they can identify the
thieves.

It would not be bad if they were caught, and they got
in the wrong line of fire, or if you decided to use
their heads as a batting practice.

Here is hoping.....

Dang it, I'm slipping. The random line breaks also were a tip-off.

I must, however, thank you, David, for the opportunity to execute a double quote. Oh, happy day.

Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble: McDonald to Dorskind to DeWolf. Triple quote.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Rich Klein

Default Btw

Not to take this thread in a whole new direction; but this situation is another reason for TPG.

And that reason is,.... I would say especially in a case like this; the thieves would leave the cards in the extant holders and if the cards were either scanned or on some registry with information; then they could be easily tied back to the original collection.

Just a thought as to why TPG has its uses

Rich
Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

A long-time friend of mine (and perhaps some of you) arrived home this week to find his house broken into. The better part
of his BB card collection was stolen. It includes vintage BB & post-war cards that he has collected over the past 40 years.

I'm posting this here to alert everyone, in hopes that this collection might be recovered. Here are the highlights of it........

100+ Old Judge's

521-card T206 set, with Plank....in Ex (or better) condition....(70 cards are Graded)

1920's Strip (W-type) cards......including W514 Joe Jackson

NOTE......

1951-1970's Topps sets, including........

Near Mint, near complete 1952 Topps set Master set (500+ cards)

Mint 1955 Topps set

Most HOFer's and Rookie cards from 1951 - 1970's (in Near Mint condition)........
1948 Bowman Musial, 1954 Bowman Ted Williams, 1954 Aaron, 1955 Koufax, etc.

1951 Bowman's (2 cards, and one with a mark on it)
1952 Berk-Ross with writing on back
1954 Dan Dee that is exceptional

Please be on the look-out for this collection (or parts of it).

Any help in recovering this collection will be greatly appreciated.

To contact me, please do it via direct email....Please no PM's

tedzan11@comcast.net

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-09-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Not to take this thread in a whole new direction; but this situation is another reason for TPG.

And that reason is,.... I would say especially in a case like this; the thieves would leave the cards in the extant holders and if the cards were either scanned or on some registry with information; then they could be easily tied back to the original collection.

Just a thought as to why TPG has its uses

Rich
Absolutely disagree. The TPG slab is an identifier and would always be removed before selling. Even an idiot thief would realize that.

Last edited by egbeachley; 04-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

There are lots of thieves who wouldn't figure that out.

Like the guys in CT that called ahead to the bank "we're coming to do a robbery, and want you to get a bag of cash ready ahead of time"

And the house burglar that sold the stolen stuff at a yard sale. Until the neighbors recognised their stuff.

I could go on, but many criminals are far less intelligent than they should be. And that's not a bad thing.

Steve B
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I could go on, but many criminals are far less intelligent than they should be.
Maybe they will post on Net54 asking the best way to crack a card out of a slab.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
There are lots of thieves who wouldn't figure that out.

Like the guys in CT that called ahead to the bank "we're coming to do a robbery, and want you to get a bag of cash ready ahead of time"

And the house burglar that sold the stolen stuff at a yard sale. Until the neighbors recognised their stuff.

I could go on, but many criminals are far less intelligent than they should be. And that's not a bad thing.

Steve B
20 million crimes a year. Don't base likelihood on a few dozen really dumb crooks that make the TV shows.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Collection Recovered

There is a thread on the PSA Forum where a collection was recovered because most of the cards where slabbed.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Kenny Cole

If they were smart enough to avoid the alarm system and smart enough to take only the cards which were worth the most, I think it is naive to believe that they will then suddenly become stupid when it comes to getting rid of the cards and offer the graded ones in the holder. I suspect the graded ones will be broken out. Plank, IMO, probably already has a buyer who knows exactly what's going on. How are you gonna sell that card otherwise?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Clayton

The thieves will more than likely slip up.It had to be someone who knew what he had,what type of alarm system it was,where to look,and when he would be gone.So,I would tend to think if it wasn't someone who directly knows him,the info must've been passed on by someone who directly knows him to someone who was desperate enough to do such a thing.I would take a hard look at everyone he knows,associates with,and consider everyone whos been to his house in the past 6 months.
I doubt some dumb burglars just picked his house out of the blue.Sounds like a well planned hit.
I hope the scumbags get caught,and hope everything is returned.

Sincerely,Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 04-10-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

It would be my guess that due to the popularity and price of this card it would be one of the first of the stolen cards to re-enter the visible market. The pinhole should tip it off.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Steve Murray

I can only presume that the thieves are reading this thread and now being educated in what not to do will lay low for a long long time.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Steve

There is a possibility that your presumption is true. However, in my opinion, it is very unlikely.
In any event, this is overshadowed by the immediate need to make aware the majority of the
good people in this hobby of the description of this stolen collection.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, I recall that Lionel Carter's stolen collection (while more significant
than this one) was quickly recovered by getting the word out to as many in the hobby as pos-
sible.

Best regards,

TED Z
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Barry Sloate

Yes, Carter's collection was returned in its entirety. But that may be the exception to the rule.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Good point steve. Like my grandfather used to say,"sometimes, things are best left un-said".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklitsch View Post
i can only presume that the thieves are reading this thread and now being educated in what not to do will lay low for a long long time.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Rich Klein

Default Anytime some one is robbed like this

Publciticy about the theft is important. The more said; the more people know and thus the chance of stuff returning is better.

No guarantees but the odds do improve

Rich
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 AM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Publciticy about the theft is important. The more said; the more people know and thus the chance of stuff returning is better.

No guarantees but the odds do improve

Rich
I don't see this posted on any other boards but this one.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Regarding the forementioned thread on the CU Board...

....this recent theft ended rather well for the collector - other than an older car being torched and the perp getting off essentially scott-free.

Here's the link:

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=768189
Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I just posted a link to this thread, over at CU (the PSA Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum).

Hopefully, someone will see or hear something.

Steve
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Thanks guys for posting this ALERT elsewhere.

TED Z
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Rich K

I agree with you 100%.

TED Z
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I will be providing additional info on the card's description shortly.

Any leads on the whereabouts of this collection is enormously appreciated.
Please contact me directly via email at........

tedzan11@comcast.net

I do not accept PM's

Thank you,

TED Z
Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ALERT....huge, huge BB card collection theft....UPDATED

A long-time friend of mine (and perhaps some of you) arrived home this week to find his house broken into. The better part

I'm posting this here to alert everyone, in hopes that this collection might be recovered. Here are the highlights of it..........

100+ Old Judge's

521-card T206 set....in Ex (or better) condition....includes Plank (ungraded), the four Cobb's are ungraded
..............70 - T206's are Graded....Chase (pink) is PSA 5, Keeler (bat) is PSA 6 (68 others range from PSA 5 to PSA 7)

1920's Strip (W-type) card sets......including W514 Joe Jackson

Note......

Near Mint, near complete Master set of 1952 Topps (500+ cards)

Mint 1955 Topps set

Most HOFer's and Rookie cards from 1951 - 1970's (in Near Mint condition)......
1948 Bowman Musial, 1949 Bowman Satchell Paige, 1951 Bowman Mays,
1952 Topps Jackie Robinson, 1953 Bowman Berra, 1954 Bowman Ted Williams,
1954 Topps Aaron, 1955 Topps Koufax, etc., etc.

1951 Bowman's (2 cards....one is O/C)
1952 Berk-Ross with writing on front
1954 Red Heart

Please be on the look-out for this large (or parts of this) collection. If you come across any leads, please email me at......

tedzan11@comcast.net

I will not accept PM's

TED Z
Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Here's a link to TS O'Connell's blog on SCD.Com. He tells about the theft in it:

http://infielddirt.sportscollectorsd...+New+York.aspx

Steve
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ALERT....huge, huge BB card collection theft....UPDATED

With the T. S. O'Connell article in SCD regarding this theft, it is now known that Don Flewelling is the long-time
hobbyist whose collection was stolen. I've known Don since 1980 when he started the Cooperstown Show which
has run continuously on HOF weekend every Summer. Many of you know Don and I'm sure you will agree that he
is one of the great guys in this hobby.

There are some additional descriptions of Don's cards that I am noting here.

His T206 Eddie Plank is ungraded and is Vg-Ex....or perhaps Ex.

The majority of the 70 graded cards from his T206 set are PSA 5 and PSA 6 commons, a few are stars, including
a PSA 5 Chase (pink) and a PSA 6 Keeler (bat)

His T205 set is missing Ty Cobb....otherwise complete.

His T207 set is missing Lowdermilk and Miller....otherwise complete.

His W514 Joe Jackson has a perfect cut on its left side, while the right side is jagged.

While we generally focus our interests on pre-war cards here, it should be noted, that Don's HOF and Rookie card
collection (100's of cards) from his 1948 Bowman Stan Musial to is 1967 Topps Tom Seaver would grade "8" or "9"
or even "10"....had they been graded. You can bet that the thief(s) will be attempting to get these graded.

Please check-out the above posted (Post #91) overall description of this collection and email me directly at........

tedzan11@comcast.net......if you think you have any info that will lead to the recovery of these cards.

TED Z
Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Scott Levy

Perhaps SGC / PSA / BVG should be alerted?

Regards,
Scott
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Very disturbing news.

Last edited by jlynch1960; 04-14-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Off topic
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 2 of 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
Perhaps SGC / PSA / BVG should be alerted?

Regards,
Scott
I am sure SGC and BVG read this board quite regularly. I would imagine at least "someone" at PSA probably reads it too. Hopefully we can get this gentleman's cards back to him. I am sure it is more than heartbreaking for him. regards

ps.....I am going to stick this thread at the top for a few days too...in an effort to help.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey guys......

All Auction houses and SGC, PSA, BVG were alerted the very day Don informed me of this theft.

Leon

I really appreciate your top billing of this thread on the Net54.

Thanks very much,

TED Z
Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Clayton

Ok,nevermind-I hope all works out for the best.

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 04-16-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Mac Wubben

Wow, you really have to feel for the guy. Frankly I am stunned that he wouldn't have insurance though. Here's hoping they find it.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I don't know of any insurance that is reasonably affordable that would cover a collection of this magnitude, in
today's market.

Many years back, I had insurance on my collection and when I wanted to raise the evaluation (as my collection
grew and prices were escalating), the insurance company refused to increase the coverage. And, I was willing
to pay them more.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-16-2010 at 06:16 PM.