NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-22-2015, 08:13 PM

Default Baseball Scoreboard help needed

All--I saw this scoreboard at an antique show preview this evening. The board is made from plywood, and the team names slide out so they can be aligned with the appropriate teams playing on a given day. There is no room for scores. It measures @2' X 3.5'.

Since the Braves left Boston after the 1952 season this board could be as young as 1952, or possibly older. I can't tell.

The dealer will sell for $2000, but it seems a bit high to me. It would make a cool presentation piece in my man-cave, but I don't want to overpay.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1939.jpg (32.9 KB, 152 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Rob

For me, that price seems a zero high (at least).

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 05-22-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
For me, that price seems zero high (at least).
+1
Old 05-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
For me, that price seems a zero high (at least).
+1, agreed too. Was thinking a couple hundred tops.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I'd put it in the novelty category

without any attribution and it's quite small. If it's in fact a vintage item from around the 1940's - in my mind the somewhat primitive look might warrant a price tag in the 50.00 range. A 2500. ask seems absurd and not even an implausible story to go with it! Of course most things look good in a man cave except ballet slippers and dolls unless there's a young partially clad dancer in the equation - just a matter of the bottom line.

no guarantees whether written or implied....
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Jim Murphy

I sold a mechanical gambling scoreboard a couple of years ago that was very colorful for $600 at Hunts

I would price this a about $350 at most, with a good story
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Jim Murphy

Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Jim M.arinari

This looks something like I remember seeing as a kid in a Philly bar. Only it was side by side. It is definitely from the Philly area.
I would imagine many bars had them, but since I was 6 or 7, I can't confirm. And EVERYTHING in that bar was from the 40's or earlier!

Last edited by Deertick; 05-22-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:00 AM

Thank you for the responses, and I agree that the price is extremely high by at least a zero. The dealer did say it "probably" came from a bar, and that seems plausible, possibly Philly, Jim. Even at $200 it would be a stretch since it looks as though someone manufactured it by hand with not so sophisticated materials, certainly nothing like Jim Murphy's scoreboard.

That being said, now I need to look for silk ballet slippers for the man-cave!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 AM

At first when I read the replies I couldn't understand why everyone thought the price was so absurd. Then I realized I had initially read the price as being two hundred, not two thousand. Even at two hundred, I would have some angst about buying it.

Greg
Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Thank you for the responses, and I agree that the price is extremely high by at least a zero. The dealer did say it "probably" came from a bar, and that seems plausible, possibly Philly, Jim. Even at $200 it would be a stretch since it looks as though someone manufactured it by hand with not so sophisticated materials, certainly nothing like Jim Murphy's scoreboard.

That being said, now I need to look for silk ballet slippers for the man-cave!

Cheers,
Mike
DEFINITELY Philly. Should have a good coat of nicotine on it. It probably doesn't matter since the dealer is VERY proud of it, but I've been known to pay in the $5-600 neighborhood for "utilitarian folk art". The size is very nice for display. If you like it, have a place for it, and can get it under $400, I think it's a good pickup.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default mis-read

the dimensions. It's much larger than I thought @ 2' x 3.5' and if it's truly vintage - even without a story - as a few others have said - 200.00/250.00 doesn't seem that unreasonable as a retail price for an interesting "primitive". To pay more than that I would need some sort of provenance or perhaps just another beer from the barkeep.