NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Any suggestions on an alternative to Card Savers that don't bend and warp?

It seems to me that a large percentage of Card Savers I've received in the mail don't want to lay totally flat. I've never bought a new box of them though, and maybe they are totally flat when they are new?

I bought a box of Ultra Pro's version. Most of them are so curved coming out of the box that I don't want to put a flat card into them.

Also, are there any that are slightly more rigid than the typical Card Saver I or Card Saver II ?

Any help would be appreciated. I just bought a group of tobacco cards that I will be keeping raw and would like to find the best and safest way to enjoy them. I know top loaders are safer, but to me, the extra piece of plastic (penny sleeve) makes it just a bit harder to see all the colors of the card.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Several months ago I transitioned all my cards from "Cardsavers" to mylar sleeves. I met the owner of http://tcverify.com at a card show and he gave me a free sample of these mylar sleeves he was producing. I ordered from him twice and was very happy. It's been six months since I ordered from him, but last I heard he was producing mylar sleeves sized for T-206 cards.
If you email or call him I bet he would send you a sample.
Larry
Old 03-21-2018, 08:44 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Hey Luke. I use 2 mil mylar in a top loader. Mylar is way cleaerer than poly (penny sleeves). Mylar is also available in thicker 4 mil sleeves that are meant to be used alone. I prefer the rigidity of top loaders myself, and nowhere does it say you HAVE to use a sleeve with them. I've dinged just as many corners putting cards into sleeves as I have top loaders.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I never understood the appeal of card savers... why not just use a top loader?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I never understood the appeal of card savers... why not just use a top loader?
Top loaders, the cards get damaged easier with insertion and removal. Top Loaders are a no go.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 AM
S Gross

Luke,

I've used Card Saver II forever, and ever, and ever . Always are flat for me.

Scott
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've used just about anything that's been made since the mid 70's, and I prefer toploaders with a penny sleeve.

No damage if you're not in a huge rush or clumsy.

I have also used Mylar inside a toploader, and with mine, it protected very well. But when I went to remove some, the mylar was stuck to the toploader. Not from any cemical action, but because the air had gotten out from between them (Like wringing gage blocks together.)

It's also easier to increase protection, as I put a lot of cards into sleeves then when I can I just add the toploader.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I haven't had any issues with Card Savers staying flat. I use a combination of Ultra Pro, Stor-Safe, and Card Saver II. I don't really have any preference between the three. I only use them for T206's so maybe with other size cards, they don't stay as flat. Here's a picture with three stacks. Left to right, 100, 200, 70. No issues of them wanting to tip over. I mainly like this type of holder because it's thin and they don't take up much space in a box.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I've used just about anything that's been made since the mid 70's, and I prefer toploaders with a penny sleeve.

No damage if you're not in a huge rush or clumsy.

I have also used Mylar inside a toploader, and with mine, it protected very well. But when I went to remove some, the mylar was stuck to the toploader. Not from any cemical action, but because the air had gotten out from between them (Like wringing gage blocks together.)

It's also easier to increase protection, as I put a lot of cards into sleeves then when I can I just add the toploader.
If I was Native American my name would be "Adam Drops His Cards", so that's a no-go for me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
If I was Native American my name would be "Adam Drops His Cards", so that's a no-go for me.
That lightened my mood today. Thanks!

I drop one occasionally, and they usually do ok with the sleeve and toploader. But I also usually tap or push them to the bottom. (88 Donruss make nice cards to push with )

Some toploaders are a bit closed in the middle, and someone going quick or not paying attention could peel a corner or scuff an edge if they're not using a sleeve.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Luke Lyon

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. Sounds like my warped card saver problem is an isolated issue. I'll probably buy a box of new ones and see how that goes.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. Sounds like my warped card saver problem is an isolated issue. I'll probably buy a box of new ones and see how that goes.
Luke, I have definitely had warped card savers. Its most apparent when you look at the actual edge/seam of the saver. I've had it warp cracker jacks into the shape of the holder then when it gets graded you can see the wave in the card. It sometimes happens with T206 as well. Its not a problem with bigger more rigid cards like Goudey or Topps.

Its usually a bad batch. Some of the discounted boxes on ebay might be stored in hot locations for a long period and cause the plastic to soften and warp or it could just be bad Chinese made crap. If you take a warped one and practice holding the top and bottom edge tightly and running it up and down on a table edge it can straighten it a bit but sometimes its a throw away batch...try a different supplier maybe.
GB
Old 03-24-2018, 04:49 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I would just stick with card savers

If kept in the correct climate warping should never be a problem. Top loaders are crap as far as I am concerned. Too easy for cards to fall out of them and if something happens holder will damage a card faster than a card saver. Card savers are much safer than a top loader. I have seen top loaders and penny sleeves damage far more cards than I have ever seen a card saver damage.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Яоь

But they made toploaders for tobacco cards. Nobody likes them?

Looking for one card for each of the following (SGC only):
e94 Blome's Chocolates
e98 Old Put Cigar
e99 Bishop & Co.
e100 Bishop & Co.
e104 Nadja
e105 Mello-Mint
e107 Breisch Williams

Successful transactions:
aconte, brianp-beme, Luke
Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
If kept in the correct climate warping should never be a problem. Top loaders are crap as far as I am concerned. Too easy for cards to fall out of them and if something happens holder will damage a card faster than a card saver. Card savers are much safer than a top loader. I have seen top loaders and penny sleeves damage far more cards than I have ever seen a card saver damage.
Card savers and top loaders work for me, but I can see how one could damage cards if one is not careful, especially if one were just using Top Loaders.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Except when they don't fit the boxes, and you can't stack a second box without bending whatevers in a card saver.
If you put the toploaders open end up, there's no way a card should fall out.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:50 PM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Several months ago I transitioned all my cards from "Cardsavers" to mylar sleeves. I met the owner of http://tcverify.com at a card show and he gave me a free sample of these mylar sleeves he was producing. I ordered from him twice and was very happy. It's been six months since I ordered from him, but last I heard he was producing mylar sleeves sized for T-206 cards.
Larry

I really like the idea of mylar sleeves. I keep programs in mylar sleeves and they look fantastic. I checked out the site, the card sleeves seem small. Any chance you can post a pic of a regular sized card in sleeve?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:00 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Larry
His DIY "slab" is a pretty interesting concept.