NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Graig Kreindler

Default 1908 Cubs photo...

Hey all,

So, I recently bought a copy of this photo in the hopes that I would make a painting from it someday. I received it in the mail yesterday, and while I was in the middle of cataloging it, I noticed that some (if not all) of the player notations made on the negative seem to be off.

The LoC has the image list as follows:

1) The first player on the left is Del Howard.
2) The second player on the left (behind 'Howard') is Three Finger Brown.
3) The fourth player on the left (without the hat) is Kid Durbin.
4) The sixth player on the left (with his head down, and hat covering his face) is Jimmy Slagle.
5) The largest player on the right (with the bag in his hand) is Frank Chance.

So, in no way does that player with the bag in his hand look like Chance to me. If anything, he looks like catcher Johnny Kling. And, the only player I think I'm pretty sure about being correct is Kid Durbin (even though he does look, oddly enough, like Chance).

Can any of you shed some light on the players in this image? Even the ones who are unnamed?

Graig

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Chance is most definitely Chance as is seen in my first illustration. The player listed as being Kid Durbin (third illustration) looks more like Harry Steinfeldt (second illustration).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0215 (2).jpg (49.8 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0216 (2).JPG (43.5 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0216 - Copy.JPG (24.8 KB, 272 views)
Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Graig Kreindler

Holy canoli, I'm an idiot. You're right JBirkholm, that's definitely Chance. I think I had a brain fart...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sure would love to see one of those jackets hit the market today... would go for an astronomical price, to be sure.

Graig... that image would make for a stunning painting!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Jason

Default Bag-carrier is Chance

That was the first thing I saw when I looked at the photo...it struck me as Chance straight away. The guy in white, without a sweater and cap looks rather slight of frame...and I thought Steinfeldt was sturdier build, but I could be wrong. I think the Del Howard is correct.
fantastic image...could very easily be adapted into a pretty dramatic painting, I'll wager...have fun with it!

PS - Why are they nearly all holding their caps? must be the wind, eh?

Last edited by JasonL; 09-24-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Definitely Chance w/ the bag.

The guy they call Durbin I am fairly certain is in fact Blaine "Kid" Durbin & not Steinfeldt. Steinfeldt was a fairly husky guy throughout his career (180 lbs) while Durbin was pretty small (155 lbs) much like this guy is. Here is Durbins only known baseball card, I can provide a larger scan later while at home if it is needed.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Johnny S

Cool image, very surreal.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for all of the help, guys.

I absolutely love this image. For whatever reason, I've always been drawn to the seemingly mundane shots of teams just marching onto the field. They're those great images taken during the 1911 and 1912 World Series too, with the Giants, A's, and Red Sox all marching from the right field clubhouse in the Polo Grounds, with the filled stands behind them, and glorious October light in their midst. Simply awesome.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Mark

Your photo comes from the Chicago Daily News collection currently managed by the Chicago History Museum. It can be downloaded in medium/low res from their website. This collection is characterized by a high percentage of incorrect captions. However - the scratched on the negative writing is likely vintage and very reliable, though not perfect, in this collection.

I can tell you that Howard, Durbin, Slagle and Chance are certainly correct. If you have this in high res and would be willing to email it to me, I will see if I can confirm Brown (ear match or mis-match should be easy to determine) and try to ID the guy right of Durbin.

If you like that one, you'll also like:

Overall, Moran, ?, Evers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overall, Moran, unk, Evers s006875.jpg (30.9 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-08-2009 at 04:36 PM.