NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Default SGC too generous?

Posted By: jay behrens 

the grading on this card should make all use caramel lovers out there cringe...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870611952

If they grade strip cards that lieniently, then I am sending in the w516 Ruth I have. It should get a 30 too.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Old 10-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...it seems to me that, although the edges are shaky, I woudl guess that the overall grade is probably an accurate one, Jay, not to be argumentative...

I guess my question is this...

It seems that centering, surface condition and overall appearance of the card should have some bearing on its grade. The card presents well and the surface seems free or scratches, wear, discoloration and there appear to be no creases. Although the cut looks to have been done by someone with tremors, the top left and bottom right corners are not bad at all, barely touched, there isn't much wear to the card. I don't have a huge issue with a Grade 2 on this card.

Lately, I have had more and more of an issue with PSA and SGC -- they seem to be in a contest with each other about who can downgrade the most cards. I don't believe they they grade to their own standards. More and more, for cards recently graded, I'd swear that almost every one I see, the card is at a grade fully one grrade below where it should be, based on their own written categorical standards. None of the cards that either company has recently graded in my collection are consistent with the grades they have awarded to the same/similar cards just 3 or 4 years ago, or more. I am not interested in either of them being able to prove who is tougher; but who is more accurate and consistent is my concern.

Old 10-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

but given SGC grading history, would a t206 or a caramel card in the same condition receive the same grade? There seems to bea very different standard for strip cards. The other strip cards that are up taht were graded by SGC are consistant with one, which is why I would gladly get my w516 Ruth graded with this the standard they grade all strip cards by. If they use there usual caramel standard, no way my Ruth would get better than 20 and most likely a 10.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

And most of them are.......so it was graded accordingly. it's not that bad for vintage scissors!

Old 10-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Jay,

Considering these were cut by the customer and more then likely by a kid I can see a little latitude being given.

Honestly, I would have called it a 20. Now if they had given it a "50" I would sent back every card I've ever submitted to them for review.

Old 10-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

What a joke!! If they grade this strip card which is horribly cut where does SGC draw the line at all other strip cards sent in and rejected! I guess it depends on WHO sends in the cards!

Tim

Old 10-28-2002, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...that's why I said above that my first impression was that it was graded accordingly. I just take issue overall with SGC's grading, as they are in a race to prove to everyone that they can downgrade as many or more cards as PSA can...and be overly tough. Over time, their grades are not consistent, that was my biatch.

-dan