NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I wonder if the Battlefield account did get suspended or something? Seems strange that a "thriving business" would all of a sudden have 0 listings.

The only other thing I can add to what has already been said, is the "new" Battlefield also uses Auctiva software. Auctiva software isn't bad itself (I use their free tools, but never subscribed), but too many similarities. Would take a long time to completely learn new software to upload that many listings in such a short time.

I like the story about "my wife and I recently retired" and I decided to sell my personal collection. A nice way to try and legitimize a lack of selling history to unknowing buyers.

Last edited by Jenx34; 11-19-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I wonder if the Battlefield account did get suspended or something? Seems strange that a "thriving business" would all of a sudden have 0 listings.
I wonder as well? I can’t remember a time since the whole battlefield issue came in the focus (last few years now) where she didn’t have something listed? I would think if suspended, though, there would be some inability to search/find? Not sure how they handle that. Perhaps, as well, she set up this new account knowing the suspension day may soon be around the corner as the negatives continue to pile on the battlefield name?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I am just thankful to be a member of this board and that alert members like Larry B. are considerate enough to share what they find.

Thank you Larry and to any others who warn all of us before we become victims.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Now there is no doubt I my mind that War Eagle is indeed Battlefields. I liked the tale of retiring, selling the collection amassed over a lifetime, etc. and thought the seller just might be legitimate. Wrong, since as other astute observers have pointed out, Battlefields has no current offerings at the moment. Just a coincidence. Doubt it.
I got caught. Won the '55 Bowman Mantle last, which has already been shipped. Will see when card received. Glad I didn't indulge myself with the beautiful '33 Goudey Gehrig, which fetched over 7K, or the DS Greenberg for 1.3 K.
This could be the swan song of Battlefields, a.k.a. War Eagle. Take the money and run or set up under a new nom de plume.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Now there is no doubt I my mind that War Eagle is indeed Battlefields. I liked the tale of retiring, selling the collection amassed over a lifetime, etc. and thought the seller just might be legitimate. Wrong, since as other astute observers have pointed out, Battlefields has no current offerings at the moment. Just a coincidence. Doubt it.
I got caught. Won the '55 Bowman Mantle last, which has already been shipped. Will see when card received. Glad I didn't indulge myself with the beautiful '33 Goudey Gehrig, which fetched over 7K, or the DS Greenberg for 1.3 K.
This could be the swan song of Battlefields, a.k.a. War Eagle. Take the money and run or set up under a new nom de plume.
Update us when you get the Mantle.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Wasn't there a neg in their feedback earlier in the day? Now it's gone? Also they claim to be a member since 1 Apr 11, April Fools Day..
Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Update us when you get the Mantle.
'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.
I stated this in another thread. I finally got some replies from Battlefield regarding a delay in my refund, and while I can't be sure and I do know some women with potty mouths, the "conversation" did not come across as being from a woman. Needless to say, whoever is running the account didn't come across as being very customer oriented and not one I would ever do business again, with or without the card "issues".
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Ben

Quote:

According to her obituary, Her husband's name was Jerry Battles.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Return it. No reason is required, but inspect it carefully and if there is ANY difference between the card and the scan, file a return and demand they pay return shipping. I did and got a return shipping label in hours. If not, just return it if you don't mind paying return shipping.

When you paid, did you see the name on the Paypal account?

In a perfect world, I'd love it if members on this board won every single item listed and returned 100% of them!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 AM
Daryl

Default War Eagle

Thanks for the heads up she had me hooked with a few of the T206's.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Derek Granger

nice catch...I suspected it looked a lot like battlefield, but the flat out lie about retiring and selling his/her life-long collection had me slightly fooled and I bought it. There were some really STUNNING cards there (pun intended).

And for those who wonder why they sell raw, it's because there's usually a slight flaw and they photoshop it so the buyer thinks they are getting a steal from an unsuspecting seller. Unbeknownst to the buyer, they are the one getting ripped off! Many choose to not return the items because they feel guilty that they were getting such a good deal from a poor old retired person. Haha! jokes on you!

Anyway, thanks for alerting us!

Regards,
Derek

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)