NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Grade of A (Authentic) ?

Posted By: Frank B

Would like to know more about this grade and how a card
with this grade is perceived/valued. SGC states they
consider it a "5" for set registry averaging purposes.
I'm not too familiar with it other than the basics.
Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

The "authentic" grade can be given for any number of things and therefore the value of the card can also vary as much. A recolored card, a trimmed card and a card that is held together with tape all get an A grade but clearly are value differently based on desirability.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott S

It could mean one of two things:

1.) The card is in such poor condition, it doesn't even warrant a grade of 10 (1) to be considered poor.

2.) The cards has been altered (trimmed, colored, etc.) and can't be given a numerical grade, but has been slabbed to note its authenticity.

I would think giving it a registry weight of being equivalent to a 5 - assuming that means less than poor - makes sense. If it means 5 in terms of on a 1 to 10 scale, then that is overvaluing the card.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

The 5 is on a 10 to 100 scale.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That's a good question, and I think it's really subjective.

A very rare card that grades Authentic is still desirable and will receive quite a bit of interest. If a card is common, most collectors would probably prefer a Good or a Very Good even if it didn't have the eye appeal.

Different collectors will have a different perception of the Authentic grade.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

If a re-colored card would fall into the authentic category, then how about other restored cards? Will SGC grade them authentic or refuse to grade them?

Peter C.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I could be wrong, but I think that I have seen a post here of a restored card in an SGC A holder

(where the border of an actress card was used for a trimmed baseball player, a Just So card? my memory is fuzzy - I could be way off)

Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

scott pretty much hit the nail on the head...those are the 2 reasons why they would give a card an "A" grade. it just depends on what the card is and/or the condition...

i have a T206 Broad Leaf 460 in a PSA "AUTHENTIC" holder. it is very clean, just has a slight hand-cut look to it, but it is still a very tuff and desirable card.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

If we can have Authentic cards rated for registry purposes as 5 on a 10 - 100 scale, then cards which are too poor to grade a SGC10, but are unaltered, can (theoretically) be graded a SGC09, 08, 07, 06. All of which are unaltered and worse than poor.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Joe D:

I think you are referring to the Jesse Burkett Just So which I believe is currently in a PSA "Authentic" holder.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

that is the card.

thanks.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Was the Jesse Burkett Just So restored?

Peter C.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The Burkett was very restored.

It was assembled using pieces from two different Just So's melded together by a paper conservator.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Well worth the restoration:

http://www.geocities.com/mostly_rookies

Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Kohler

I`ve posted this story before and no one really responded to it so here goes again........... In Cleveland this year at the National I had with me a 1915 CJ common that I got back from SGC that was marked "pressed" and it was UNslabed. After I more closely inspected the card I saw what they we refuring to and understood, but why not grade it Authentic? I went to their booth and they would not slab it calling it ungradable, no further explanation. Then I took it to the PSA booth and they said, sure we`ll slab it Authentic for you. I just assume that any card no matter the alteration could or should be graded Authentic if it`s an authentic card? Right ? Wrong? Have the grading companies come out with more specific info explaining this grade?..............I continue to enjoy this forum......

Marty

GO YARD

Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

AUTH - IMO this is what all grading services should designate an unaltered card. Regardless of what they feel the condition might be. Also, they should disclose creases or other defects.

AUTH-ALT - This should be what the grading services provide to cards that are authentic but altered (trimmed, etc - any card that was hand cut from panels or had a coupon removed, etc.)

RESTORED - This pretty much speaks for itself. The Just So Burkett is a good example, so is that Ward card from a recent auction out of Colorado.