NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2002, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Received an email from the person who had the Yum Yums consigned on ebay a while back that they would be part of the March Mastronet auction.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

There goes the little chance I had to purchase any of them...

Old 01-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Mike Williams

the question I have is this....the Yum Yums were on eBay for maybe a few hours....did someone from MastroNet contact the seller and offer to put the cards in the March auction. If so (I have no idea why the cards were pulled), I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Doug.....any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2002, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: leon

Hey Mike,
We agree on almost everything so maybe here is one where we think a little differently. I think if someone from Mastro sees it, calls/emails the seller, and gets them to auction it in their auction then that is business. This is America. Businesses have to stay in business. I have no idea if anyone from Mastro contacted the seller but someone obviously contacted Mastro or vice versa.... Whomever saw the cards could have bought them at a possibly rediculous price. They didn't..... I want a great deal as much as the next guy but a few hundred dollars for those did not seem fair to the seller. Just my thoughts and first impression.....best regards..

Old 01-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: runscott

...or do you just think they would have sold for a couple of hundred dollars because of e-bay buyer ignorance?

Old 01-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

they had a bin of about $199.00 or something, not sure but was real low....is what I remember from it......regards

Old 01-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

There were no BIN's......the non hofers started at 199.00 and hofers started at 299.00.

Old 01-14-2002, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Mike Williams

they had BIN options....and I don't think they would've went cheap jusy because they were on eBay. There are many veteran collectors/dealers on eBay well aware of the rarity of the Yum Yums. I understand business is business....it's just not something I would've done.

Old 01-15-2002, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Marc S.

that is bad business, Leon. It is just as bad as the sellers who will end auctions early because a bidder has offered a large price for the lot.

Once an item hits Ebay, and there have been bids on that item, the seller should remain obligated to keep that item in auction until completion. This "off-Ebay" deals truly ruin the spirit of the hobby. If there were bidders on these cards (I was not around at the time, so I don't know if/how many bids there were before the lots were pulled), then they should stay on Ebay. Period.

Leon, business is business. However, these were not cards for sale. They were cards up for auction. Thus, the auctioner should abide by professional standards. Pulling a lot that has bids only to sell your wares somewhere else ruins the very nature of the auction process.

Old 01-15-2002, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I had the opening bid on 2 of the cards. There was no BIN options on the 2 I had bid on or I would have ended them. The other 2 already had a bid or 2 on them, but I placed a bid on them also. I was notified an hour or so later that my bids were cancelled and the auctions were being ended. He told me then that they would be sold at aution later. Had a "woody" for little while anyway, . Keith

Old 01-15-2002, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Jay Miller

The same thing happened on an Old Judge Mack cabinet about eight months ago. Item was listed, item was pulled, ended up in Mastro auction. I think this is a sleazy practice. In that case the original seller was an experienced hobby veteran so there was no issue with him not knowing the items value.

Old 01-15-2002, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

that once a bid has been placed then you should not be able to cancel bids and end the auction. If no bids have been placed then there would be no harm and no foul......boy am I becoming unpopular lately.....where's status quo when I need it.....but then again ya'll are going to know how I feel....not how I think I should feel ......regards all

Old 01-15-2002, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: runscott

I cancelled one the other day because I needed the card to go along with an autograph and had forgotten, so I emailed all the bidders and told them they could have free shipping and insurance for life on anything they bought from me. In retrospect I should have left the card up and found another one for myself.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

I think the 4 cards would have ended with nice prices.
As a Mastro lot they will bring a premium, but not much more.

I'm also against delisting items after a bid is placed.

Leon, you are right, this is America and the small fish always lose to the big one.

JL

Old 01-15-2002, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: MW

I think that Mike Williams and everyone else is absolutely right -- once an item has been listed on eBay and it has one or more bids, it should STAY listed for the duration of the auction. Pulling an item because an auction house "offers you the moon" is tacky, unprofessional, and is no different than shill bidding or other prohibited forms of auction manipulation.

Also, my personal feeling is that the seller would have done just as well or even better on eBay -- I think he (the seller) sold himself short.

Old 01-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Until "reserve has been met." Of course, no reserve, no pull. Have always wondered what an auctioneer (on e-bay)_ wants with an "opening bid" and a "reserve." Why both?

Julie

Old 01-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Marc S.

Sometimes a low opening bid is combined with a high reserve to get people bidding on the lot.

If something has a minimum bid of $1,000, many people will shy away at starting the bids because they don't want to be the one foolish bidder who overpaid. However, if a card has a $100 opening bid and a $1,000 reserve, there may be significant bidding interest pushing the card up to (and sometimes past) the $1,000 mark. It's just a way to confirm that there will be a lot of bidding interest in an item, I suppose. Experience suggests that it generally works, too.

Kind of the same premise that the big auction houses start opening bids (for low-to-mid range items) at about 20 - 25% of expected final hammer price -- to get people interested and bidding on the item, even if they probably don't have enough dough to go all the way.

Old 01-15-2002, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Julie Vognar

was listing a BIN and making it clear that "reserve has not been met." I didn't want to pay the over-2000-buy-it-now price, but I kept thinking "If I don't meet the reserve now, anybody with a lot of dough can step in any time and BUY IT NOW. (I usually just snipe, with about 6 seconds left). So I fished around (3 bids) until "reserve has been met." Fortunately, the card went for less than 200 over the reserve, and a lot less than the Buy It Now, so I didn't get robbed at all. Julie

Old 01-15-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Yum Yums......

Posted By: Plastic Dog

I won a lot, and then the seller sent me an e-mail to inform me that the item was relisted in error and had actually been sold over Christmas. Probably the truth, but easily could have happened with something like these Yum Yums.