NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default What say ya???

https://baseballhall.org/todays-game-era-ballot-2019

Interesting names on Today’s Game Era Ballot...I like Belle, Carter and Steinbrenner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Kyle May

100%: Steinbrenner

75%: Piniella

50%: Baines, Belle, Carter, Manuel, Hersheiser, Smith

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 11-05-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Piniella and Steinbrenner for sure. The rest, meh.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-05-2018, 01:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Before everyone jumps in and starts arguing about a hundred different types of WAR stats (all theoretical, mind you), I will say although Joe Carter's career batting average was pretty low, he's who jumps out to me.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM

Steinbrenner is the only one I would vote for (and this is coming from a Sox fan).
Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Steinbrenner without a doubt.

I could make a case for Lee Smith as he was the dominant closer and all time save leader for quite awhile but realistically, there is no way he is getting in. I think the only one that will see enshrinement will be The Boss.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Rhett Yeakley

It has always been easier for Managers & executives to be voted in these types of things so Steinbrenner probably gets in, and Pinella has an outside shot as well.

Of the players I think Will Clark is the best of that bunch and has a chance but he isn’t very well liked so that may not happen. Lee Smith has an outside chance but I just don’t see it happening. Strange group if you ask me. There are so many players that are equally as good as players on this list and not there... Mattingly, Tony Fernandez, Julio Franco, Mark Grace, John Olerud, Paul O’Neill, etc.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-05-2018, 04:33 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Numbers

Breaking down the members of the Hall of Fame is interesting. Some may say categories are over or under represented. Take these numbers for what they are worth...

Players = 255
Executives = 35
Managers = 23
Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default nobody

I always liked Baines and Hershiser a lot as players, but I just don't see any of these guys as true HOFers. Steinbrenner? I guess, maybe, although I'd have to hold my nose as I went by his plaque in the HOF.

On second thought: Heck, put the Bulldog (O.H.) in there - he had a heck of a career and was brilliant in postseason-

Last edited by timn1; 11-05-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Fred

Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle looks like a good pick.

I like Joe Carter and the 10 x 100 RBI season, but that .259 lifetime BA doesn't help. If it's any consolation, there have been players with lesser qualifications inducted so Joe is my "why not" player.

Orel with only one 20 game win season and barely over 200 lifetime wins misses as does Harold Baines, even though he had large lifetime totals, he was never dominant and he played a long time (nice guy, though).

The one thing I liked about that Stein guy is that he wanted to WIN. I wish he owned the team I cry over every year. He reminds me of baseball's Donald Trump. Or should I say Donald Trump is the political mirror of George. I'm on the fence with him.

I'm right in the middle of Bill James book on the BB HOF. It was written a while ago, but it's an interesting read and great perspective on the HOF and the guys that have been enshrined.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Dave Foster

None of them blow my socks off. HOF worthy? Uh, no. If any of these names get in, the next step for the HOF is to begin a new wing for the, "Good-Very Good.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Steinbrenner will get in. On what criteria one votes for owners, I don't know, so I won't try to pass judgment on that one. The players are all very weak selections. Belle is basically the same player as Jim Rice, just less of it. And Rice was a terrible hall pick. I really don't see any of the players getting elected - unless the voters go crazy for Lee Smith's saves - and that's really the way it should be.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Belle and Steinbrenner definitely. Piniella maybe. Carter maybe. Lee Smith maybe. The rest no. Will Clark not a total no but close. I was a big Harold Baines fan during his career. But no.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I am underwhelmed by this ballot . Good players but not the greatest or HoFers IMO . They are good candidates for the Hall of The Very Good but not the HOF . They might have been very good for a narrow window of their careers but not for their whole careers and most had short careers when compared to the majority of HOFers. Steinbrenner is my pick if anyone goes in .
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Belle basically played 10 years in the majors. In those 10 years, he hit .295, with 373 homeruns, and 1,199 RBIs.

So, he averaged 37 homeruns and 120 RBIs per year for 10 years (basically his entire career).

He also made five all-star teams, and finished in the top-three in MVP voting three times (and finished top-eight in MVP voting two other times).

That to me, is a hall of famer.

As for the others, I would vote for Steinbrenner and Smith. I wouldn't be averse to Piniella and Baines getting in.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Brandon Bailey

None, I really like several of these players and managers but none are hall of famers in my opinion. Should be interesting to see how the 12 vote.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle looks like a good pick.

I like Joe Carter and the 10 x 100 RBI season, but that .259 lifetime BA doesn't help. If it's any consolation, there have been players with lesser qualifications inducted so Joe is my "why not" player.

Orel with only one 20 game win season and barely over 200 lifetime wins misses as does Harold Baines, even though he had large lifetime totals, he was never dominant and he played a long time (nice guy, though).

The one thing I liked about that Stein guy is that he wanted to WIN. I wish he owned the team I cry over every year. He reminds me of baseball's Donald Trump. Or should I say Donald Trump is the political mirror of George. I'm on the fence with him.

I'm right in the middle of Bill James book on the BB HOF. It was written a while ago, but it's an interesting read and great perspective on the HOF and the guys that have been enshrined.
I like Joe too.

"Joe Carter played 16 seasons for the Cubs, Indians, Padres, Blue Jays, Orioles and Giants, earning five All-Star Game selections and two Silver Slugger Awards as an outfielder. Finishing in the Top 10 of his league’s Most Valuable Player Award voting four times, Carter totaled at least 100 RBI in 10 seasons, a mark met or surpassed by only 17 other players in history. Batting third or fourth for the Blue Jays teams that won back-to-back World Series titles in 1992-93, Carter’s walk-off home run in Game 6 of the 1993 Fall Classic marked only the second time in history a World Series ended on a home run. The durable Carter played in 157-or-more games in eight seasons and totaled 396 home runs, 1,445 RBI and 231 stolen bases"

Steinbrenner is a no brainer to me but SI doesn't like any of them.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/05/ya...ella-lee-smith
Old 11-05-2018, 10:41 PM

I realize some or many may completely disagree with this but players who retired in the modern era, 1980 on, and was on the regular HOF ballot and after 10 or 15 years did not get in the Hall-of-Fame simply do not belong and should not be considered again. Especially players who did not get enough votes in the regular ballot after one or two years to continue.

I am not saying a player should or should not be in the Hall-of-Fame but Joe Carter was on the ballot one year and received 19 votes, 3.8% and was dropped after one year. Based on that he does not belong. Albert Belle dropped off the ballot after two years. He does not belong and never considered again.

I understand players who played before the Hall-of-Fame began or in an era where voting criteria was different or someone like Piniella who was a better than average player who had a successful managerial career to be reevaluated but players who did not last for one to five years on the regular ballot and retired in the 1990's and 2000's should never be considered again.

I also see considering umpires, executives, etc that had not been voted on before.