NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1933 Goudey Gehrig

Obviously not a hobbyist seller.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lou-Gehrig-1...-/330708916815

Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Bilko Glasier

Thats a very nice PSA 3
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Matt Wieder

Thanks for the chuckle. That's like a kid making a fake ID and having his birthday as 1996.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I am told

Interestingly I am told, by a reliable source, that this holder is only an old PSA holder and it is fine. Learn something new every day.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Interestingly I am told, by a reliable source, that this holder is only an old PSA holder and it is fine. Learn something new every day.
I presumed you saw this, but my comment above was directed at the fact that this is labeled as "Good" with a numerical grade of 3. New/Old/Future holder - I don't think PSA ever has had a grading scale where a 3 is anything other than VG. This is not BCCG.

Last edited by Matt; 04-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Didn't even noticed that Matt. PSA's database shows that label #, but lists it as a VG 3 - not 'Good'... Old label mistake?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Peter Calderon

I have seen this twice before, both coming from one consignor, and both had "Good 3" on the labels. He was a collector who went way back and I questioned him about them. He told me he remembers being told it was an issue with the number of letter characters they could use. "Very Good 3" couldn't fit in the second line which is why they went to using grade abbreviations like "VG" and "EX".

Can't confirm it is true but that would explain it.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecld View Post
He told me he remembers being told it was an issue with the number of letter characters they could use. "Very Good 3" couldn't fit in the second line which is why they went to using grade abbreviations like "VG" and "EX".
But... they didn't use "VG" here - they used "Good." To believe that story, we'd have to swallow that no one back then thought of using "VG" as an abbreviation when they recognized "Very Good" wouldn't fit and decided they should proceed with a "Good 2" and a "Good 3" as a result. VG has been a mainstream hobby grading term a lot longer then PSA has been around. I'm not buying. This is all aside form the fact that the card looks like it took a swim in the toilet and wouldn't qualify for a 3 anyway.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Peter Calderon

Well if, "Very Good 3" didn't fit that does mean they didn't use it at all. They still had to use something for the "3" grade level so all you saw on the label was "Good 3." They always had "Good" for "2" and I'm sure there are labels with "Good 2" but as you can see the confusion it causes.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

This card is legit. Very early on, early in the long bar code days, for a short while, PSA at the lower grades used a different scale.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecld View Post
Well if, "Very Good 3" didn't fit that does mean they didn't use it at all. They still had to use something for the "3" grade level so all you saw on the label was "Good 3." They always had "Good" for "2" and I'm sure there are labels with "Good 2" but as you can see the confusion it causes.
Why wouldn't they use "VG 3"? Are we to believe no one thought to abbreviate Very Good as VG? That having "Good 2" and "Good 3" was better then having "Good 2" and "VG 3?"
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This card is legit. Very early on, early in the long bar code days, for a short while, PSA at the lower grades used a different scale.
Really? This is news - what was the lower scale? 1-P, 2-F, 3-G? What about above that? if we continue, 4 is VG, 5 is VG-EX, 6 is EX...
I do find this option more plausible then the one Pete mentions above.

Last edited by Matt; 04-01-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

I had a 34 Gehrig that was a VG 4. I think they had omitted the VG EX grade and it then went to EX 5.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default same source

I will post a pic of a PSA VG 4 later as the person sent me a scan. He sent me this original message....

"FYI, the Gehrig is a legitimate 1933 World Wide Gum card ("English Only" variation). And the PSA holder and label are also legit and untampered. In the very early days of PSA, the scale was as follows:

1 = Poor
2 = Fair
3 = Good
4 = Very Good
5 = Excellent

There wasn't a VG-EX grade. This was changed shortly after to:

1 = Poor to Fair
2 = Good
3 = Very Good
4 = Very Good to Excellent
5 = Excellent
"
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
I will post a pic of a PSA VG 4 later as the person sent me a scan. He sent me this original message....

"FYI, the Gehrig is a legitimate 1933 World Wide Gum card ("English Only" variation). And the PSA holder and label are also legit and untampered. In the very early days of PSA, the scale was as follows:

1 = Poor
2 = Fair
3 = Good
4 = Very Good
5 = Excellent

1 = Poor to Fair
2 = Good
3 = Very Good
5 = Excellent
"
Yes. This is correct.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:

1 = Poor
2 = Fair
3 = Good
4 = Very Good
5 = Excellent

1 = Poor to Fair
2 = Good
3 = Very Good
5 = Excellent
"
That makes more sense to me than this being the result of a textual limitation on the slab. Never knew about this - I wonder how often these cards surface and if PSA makes an effort to reholder them for free given the confusion they cause.

Last edited by Matt; 04-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Robert Williams

Looking at the back scan, NO WAY in H**L is that card a '3'. Buy the card, not the holder.....
Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I like the card, its a nice "2", but should be removed from that strange slab as soon as possible...