NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default November 17th

I can't wait and you probably can't either to see if Alabama can nail down a college football playoff berth against The Citadel.

It should be a nail biter, but since the game is in Tuscaloosa and not Charleston, I am going to pick the The Tide in this one.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Kyle May

It's a joke that the NCAA allows for this kind of scheduling in the SEC at that point of the season.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 AM
Evan

Their entire schedule this season is garbage. LSU and Miss St are the best teams they will play in the regular season. LSU is the only one with any chance at all to win, and even then it is slim. Auburn is not playing well, Texas A&M and Ole Miss are both ok but not good enough to beat Alabama, Louisville sucks without Lamar Jackson, and Tennessee is mediocre this year. It really is a joke at this point that Alabama plays the schedule they do every year.

I'm not saying they'd lose, but I would love to see Alabama go to Columbus, Ann Arbor, or State College late in the season, in the cold and snow, and play an out of conference game at a big ten stadium.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm guessing that the two previous opinions would not be the same if they lived in the Southeast...and I would probably agree with them if I didn't.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles93 View Post
Their entire schedule this season is garbage. LSU and Miss St are the best teams they will play in the regular season. LSU is the only one with any chance at all to win, and even then it is slim. Auburn is not playing well, Texas A&M and Ole Miss are both ok but not good enough to beat Alabama, Louisville sucks without Lamar Jackson, and Tennessee is mediocre this year. It really is a joke at this point that Alabama plays the schedule they do every year.

I'm not saying they'd lose, but I would love to see Alabama go to Columbus, Ann Arbor, or State College late in the season, in the cold and snow, and play an out of conference game at a big ten stadium.
Alabama doesn't have to anywhere they don't want to go. My guess is that no other school, like the ones you mentioned, will schedule a home and away game to face the Tide as Alabama likely wins both games and split at worst.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 10-14-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Alabama doesn't have to anywhere they don't want to go. My guess is that no other school, like the ones you mentioned, will schedule a home and away game to face the Tide as Alabama likely wins both games and split at worst.

Lou- insert the word 'go' in your sentence between 'to' and 'anywhere'...for clarity.

And the reason they schedule such series is $$$$$!! Most likely the largest influx of revenue they will experience the entire calendar year.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Lou- insert the word 'go' in your sentence between 'to' and 'anywhere'...for clarity.

And the reason they schedule such series is $$$$$!! Most likely the largest influx of revenue they will experience the entire calendar year.
Sorry for the oversight and poor grammar / sentence structure. English never was my strong suit!

I will not disagree with you about the $$$$ and the revenue a series with Michigan or Ohio State can generate. Frankly, I don't believe that Michigan or Ohio State wants any part of a series with Alabama. However, I am not in that fold and I could easily be wrong.

In terms of games, Alabama's largest revenue source comes from playing in the National Championship game. This would be true for any other school that plays in the National Championship game, especially if they win.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I can't wait and you probably can't either to see if Alabama can nail down a college football playoff berth against The Citadel.

It should be a nail biter, but since the game is in Tuscaloosa and not Charleston, I am going to pick the The Tide in this one.
While it is far less likely this season, in 2015 after Spurrier left USC, The Citadel pulled off an improbable upset of an SEC team at Williams Brice. So, The Citadel has defeated an SEC team this decade. With the current situation at Bama being vastly different than 2015 USC's situation, I am just glad that they are making this trip to Tuscaloosa as the money The Citadel will earn will contribute to the return of the northside stands at Hagood Stadium.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
While it is far less likely this season, in 2015 after Spurrier left USC, The Citadel pulled off an improbable upset of an SEC team at Williams Brice. So, The Citadel has defeated an SEC team this decade. With the current situation at Bama being vastly different than 2015 USC's situation, I am just glad that they are making this trip to Tuscaloosa as the money The Citadel will earn will contribute to the return of the northside stands at Hagood Stadium.
This year the Bulldogs have come up a bit short against East Tennessee St, Chattanooga, Wofford and Towson so far. How will Saban motivate the Tide to face the Bulldogs? I’m sure he will find a way. That’s why he earns the big bucks. He’ll earn enough this year to not only rebuild the northside stands at Hagood, but also to add a dome and luxury boxes, and have enough left over to cover the Bulldogs’ medical insurance for the game.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
This year the Bulldogs have come up a bit short against East Tennessee St, Chattanooga, Wofford and Towson so far. How will Saban motivate the Tide to face the Bulldogs? I’m sure he will find a way. That’s why he earns the big bucks. He’ll earn enough this year to not only rebuild the northside stands at Hagood, but also to add a dome and luxury boxes, and have enough left over to cover the Bulldogs’ medical insurance for the game.
Maybe Saban can motivate his defense by challenging them to stop the Bulldogs' triple option offense....should be fun for a quarter or two. Outside of Towson, the other teams they have lost to are conference teams...these conference teams pretty much see that triple option each season, so they are more prepared for it. My guess is Towson has seen this offense somewhere also. Again, it will be fun to watch Saban "adjust" to the triple option and see how long it takes Bama to shut it down....half of a quarter, one quarter...etc.... I wonder when the last time Saban faced the triple option offense?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Rob Anderson

Same as every year.

And we have discussed the SEC bias plenty on here. When Auburn loses to what many are calling a horrible Tennessee team, it's because anyone in the SEC can beat anyone at any time. They are just so damn good. But when it happens in another conference, like Texas beating Oklahoma, it's because Oklahoma just isn't that good. It gets sickening. The SEC has the best team in the country consistently. Usually Alabama, sometimes LSU , sometimes Florida and a couple times Auburn. But after that number one teaming the conference, they all lose a couple games in ant conference in the country. Just like every other team in the country.