NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 AM
John Donovan

Default 1952 Bowman - Blank Bank or Proof?

In my ongoing quest to put together a nice mid-grade 1952 Bowman set, I thought it would be fun to add a Proof to my collection. I recently purchased a 1952 Bowman Billy Johnson "Blank Back" card pictured here:
blank.JPG

Now obviously that is not authenticated as a PROOF, but only an authentic "Blank Back". So my question is, are all Blank Back 1952 Bowman cards technically a Proof? If NOT, then what are they, just a print defect?

The seller of the card (who was a good, reputable seller, with fast shipping whom I would do business with at any time) conjectured that SGC may now be labeling all proofs now only as "Blank Back" with a grade of "Authentic" because proofs are typically cut from a larger sheet...hence the "Authentic" label. The same seller also had another 1952 Bowman with a blank back in an OLD SGC holder that identified the card as a PROOF, and gave a numerical grade. It was the seller's opinion that the two cards had identical characteristics, which led him to believe that SGC now authenticates blank back cards only as "Blank Back" Authentic cards instead of Proofs with a grade. Does anyone have any insight in to this, and whether my Blank Back card is an actual proof?

For reference, here is a picture of the other card in the old SGC holder labeled Proof. I do not own this card, but am showing for reference. Thanks to anyone who might have information to share!

proof.JPG
Old 09-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Al Richter

Topps Vault has sometimes offered cards with blank backs labeled as proof cards. And some blank cards, like the 67 Maris as a Yankee, the 77 Robinson as an Oriole, or the the Topps 1984 Encased or head fully in the box cards, would all seem to be legitimate proofs since they differ from the finally issued cards. Sometimes proof cards are also unfinished or missing some ink.

But I think without some direct provenance or tell tale markings it would be virtually impossible to distinguish a true proof from a blank back misprint. Perhaps others will have better insights.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Ben North

Without a distinct design difference there is no way of knowing if it is really a proof or just a print error/incomplete card. I personally think labeling them as blank backs are the proper thing to do.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:47 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Without a distinct design difference there is no way of knowing if it is really a proof or just a print error/incomplete card. I personally think labeling them as blank backs are the proper thing to do.
Yes, I guess that makes sense. However, If it was just a print defect, why not give it a grade? Well, unless there was evidence of trimming. I suppose it’s possible someone could find a blank back and trim it. I’d be curious if anyone out there has (or has seen) a 1952 Bowman blank back in a new SGC holder that DOES have a numerical grade?

At any rate, I really do enjoy the card. Got it for a reasonable price, and having an authentic card in my set with a blank back at least provides a conversation piece. Just one more reason this is a fun and interesting hobby!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:38 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Yes, I guess that makes sense. However, If it was just a print defect, why not give it a grade? Well, unless there was evidence of trimming. I suppose it’s possible someone could find a blank back and trim it. I’d be curious if anyone out there has (or has seen) a 1952 Bowman blank back in a new SGC holder that DOES have a numerical grade?

At any rate, I really do enjoy the card. Got it for a reasonable price, and having an authentic card in my set with a blank back at least provides a conversation piece. Just one more reason this is a fun and interesting hobby!
I believe both PSA and SGC have gone back and forth over the years on applying numerical grades to these type cards and/or just calling them authentic. I’ve seen both instances over time of examples slabbed both ways. I don’t think there’s any way to tell if it was a proof card or just a regular issue card that didn’t get the back portion of the card as long as the front is the same as a regular issued card (even if thetoppsvault says it was a proof; think they’re just speculating and/or have a wide definition of what Is considered a proof).

The blank back card you’ve purchased is both unique and cool!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post

It is a great card and I personally would not worry about the labeling on the slab.

You have to realize there are several ways people got blank back cards. Some actually came in packs that accidentally got packaged before someone noticed the error. Some come from people dumpster diving. Some come from employees stealing them. Some people got lucky and actually purchased them directly from the factory.

As a 30+ year error collector I would guess close to 75% of blank back/front and wrong backs are cut from sheets someplace other than the factory. I have had SGC give me # grades on wrong backs but they are factory cut I got directly from the manufacturer.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 PM

correction...77 Jackson not Robinson as an Oriole.