NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Pete Sycks

Default Goodwin Pick-ups

I picked up this T206 Cobb in goodwin last night. Pretty excited about it. Fairly cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb T206 Bat Off PSA Auth.jpg (39.9 KB, 633 views)

Last edited by sycks22; 11-11-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Zach

nice score!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Phil Garry

Anyone on the board pick up the OJ Delahanty?

I put in a late bid yesterday and was the high bidder at around $2,600. Miraculously, one bidder topped me and the card ended up selling at that price. Oddly, I never received a bid confirmation notice when my bid placed resulted in me being the high bidder nor did I receive an e-mail when I was outbid. Yes, I did check off the box when registering that asked if I would like to receive e-mail bid notifications.

My opinion, and I could be totally wrong if someone comes forward as the buyer, a hidden reserve kept me from getting the card.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Marc S.

Default Phil-

for some reason, I stopped getting bid confirmation and outbid emails from them last night. I did walk away with two items, and on those for which I was outbid, I actually know who the winners were, so I personally have no concern with Bill and hidden reserves.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post

I put in a late bid yesterday and was the high bidder at around $2,600. Miraculously, one bidder topped me and the card ended up selling at that price. Oddly, I never received a bid confirmation notice when my bid placed resulted in me being the high bidder nor did I receive an e-mail when I was outbid. Yes, I did check off the box when registering that asked if I would like to receive e-mail bid notifications.

My opinion, and I could be totally wrong if someone comes forward as the buyer, a hidden reserve kept me from getting the card.
I was debating to make a run at the Delahanty, but I bid on too many items in Heritage.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Paul

I won these two. Didn't recieve any bid or outbid notifications either.PC796_Devlin.jpg

PC796_Collins.jpg
Old 11-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Phil Garry

Sounds like I'm not alone, there must have been some sort of problem with the auction software and e-mail notifications. Not sure about the Delahanty card though.....
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM

I picked up the 33 Delong Gehrig. Been on my list for a while.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I spoke with bill goodwin several times yesterday. He was having issues with software, but every single time i called him, he answered all questions about any card i was interested in. I think this caused delays in replies on email, but they are probably growing pains if he was upgrading. I was able to obtain 3 nice t206s....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Phil- No way I would believe bill goodwin has hidden reserves on his auction items...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-11-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

great Sepia's Paul!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Sounds like I'm not alone, there must have been some sort of problem with the auction software and e-mail notifications. Not sure about the Delahanty card though.....
I had my eye on one card which I would have gone $1K higher to get had I received an outbid email. Ouch to the consignor.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM
JeR@Me

Default Type 1 Coupon Southern Leaguer :

Happy to score this Type 1 Southern Leaguer on the cheap... Some of the other prices were solid and one Coupon Southern Leaguer went real high...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regan.jpg (26.4 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg Regan2.jpg (23.5 KB, 498 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Phil, Lot 158 OJ Delehanty went for $3555 (with Buyers Premium) was there another? If not that would explain being outbid.

Lee
Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Val Kehl

Default I was the ...

underbidder on the one lot I really wanted - the E122 of Walter Johnson PSA 4 (lot #563). I put in a max bid that I thought was sufficient shortly after midnight and went to bed. Oh well, this leaves me with more $$ to spend at the Phila. Oaks Show tomorrow.
Val
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Brian T.

I too didn't receive any email notices on the last couple of days. I was fortunate enough to nab a couple of pickups that I posted in the November thread.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 PM
N.ate A.dams

I realized that their e-mail system seemed to crash a couple days ago as well...so I tried to keep a close eye on things, but --- at some point, you just have to go to bed, especially when you teach kids at 8 am...

Anyways, I managed to pick this one up. A nice little name on top card, that also happens to have a Broad Leaf 350 back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 309a_lg.jpg (78.7 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg 309b_lg.jpg (78.0 KB, 466 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Steve

I picked up this Radbourn...the back clearly has some damage, but I thought the image looks pretty nice.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice the lack of outbid emails. Almost made me forget that the auction was ending last night...

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 164a_lg.jpg (6.9 KB, 455 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:

I got outbid on the Ruth RC and didnt even know. I never got an email either.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
I picked up this Radbourn...the back clearly has some damage, but I thought the image looks pretty nice.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice the lack of outbid emails. Almost made me forget that the auction was ending last night...

Steve
I don't really understand the outbid thing. I generally put in my ceiling bids and walk away - if anyone wanted to pay more than what the cards were worth, they were welcome to them.

What's the strategy behind putting in a bid below what you're willing to pay, and waiting to be outbid?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Tim

Nice card Nate. I was happy to add this to my Herzog back run especially since it's the "ONLY GRADED SPECIMEN on the planet!"

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I don't really understand the outbid thing. I generally put in my ceiling bids and walk away - if anyone wanted to pay more than what the cards were worth, they were welcome to them.

What's the strategy behind putting in a bid below what you're willing to pay, and waiting to be outbid?
Well, considering that there is an active federal grand jury investigation of the once biggest auction house committing massive fraud which included raising bids to the ceiling levels placed by bidders, I'd say "not getting defrauded" would be the strategy of choice.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Kenny Cole

Jeff,

OK, whatever. Besides that, what would be the reason?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What's the strategy of walking outside with an umbrella when it's raining? I never really understood that one either.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Very excited about this pickup

Loving this card... Now I'll have to sell some stuff to afford it! Who needs Gypsy Queens?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Kenny Cole

Buzzkiller.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What's the strategy of walking outside with an umbrella when it's raining? I never really understood that one either.
LOL!

---

Seriously though, I like tossing in low or medium bids as placeholders to come back to later once you can see how the bidding is shaping up...

Steve
Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
I think the strategy is that you're hoping once the other bidder outbids you and has the highest current bid, he goes to bed and doesn't watch the auciton again. Then you put in a higher bid. If the other bidder sees that his higher bid still doesn't beat your ultimate max bid, he may stick around, think about it, and bid you higher.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Kenny Cole

That made my head hurt. If the other bidder has gone to bed, how is he going to see that he has been outbid so that he can then post another bid and bid you higher (which, unless he is a shiller, does him no good) so that you bid again? I'm not getting that part of the strategy.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Joe M.

I started with punch cards in 1960 " I know a lot of members won't know what these are" anyway worked with computers for 35 years, and there will always be problems with software or hardware. So bidding with these auctions on-line does not always work.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 PM

Nice CDV
Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Phil Garry

Lee:

I am aware of the final price on the Delahanty with the BP, same thing as what I said without the juice added in.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
great Sepia's Paul!
Thanks Jeff
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Loving this card... Now I'll have to sell some stuff to afford it! Who needs Gypsy Queens?

I think I'm getting sick. That was one of the 1872 cdv set that I sold about eight years ago, like an idiot. Those were really great little albumen cards.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
That made my head hurt. If the other bidder has gone to bed, how is he going to see that he has been outbid so that he can then post another bid and bid you higher (which, unless he is a shiller, does him no good) so that you bid again? I'm not getting that part of the strategy.
Right, the other bidder will only see that he has been outbid if you put in your max bid than just an increment up. For example, if you have an internal max bid of $500 for a lot, and you bid the card to $350, the other bidder bids it to $400 and now is the high bid. Now, he goes to bed without knowing that he will be outbid by you later at $450. However, if you put in a max bid of $500, then when the other bidder bids the card to $400, he will see that he has instantly been outbid at $400. He can then decide to bid it to $450. Again, he has instantly been outbid. He can again reconsider if he's at his max for this lot, and so forth.

The other reason that people most typically don't put in their max bids for lots is that they are often bidding on multiple lots, but have a budget. If they put in their max bids on all of their lots, it will be over their budget if they happen to win all of them. Therefore, they are internally prioritizing which lots they want first, and if those lots go over their max bid for that lot, then they can move their lower priority lots to higher bids.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Kenny Cole

But if I understand things correctly, he's asleep. Did he wake up sometime during this tortured experience? If not, he loses just like everyone else who went to sleep and didn't hit the high bid as a result.

I've had some cocktails this evening, so I may be missing it, but as best as I can tell, if you are asleep it's real hard to bid. If you aren't there to bid, there is a reasonable possibility that you might lose.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
But if I understand things correctly, he's asleep. Did he wake up sometime during this tortured experience? If not, he loses just like everyone else who went to sleep and didn't hit the high bid as a result.

I've had some cocktails this evening, so I may be missing it, but as best as I can tell, if you are asleep it's real hard to bid. If you aren't there to bid, there is a reasonable possibility that you might lose.
I think he is saying that if xx DOESN'T put in a max bid......then yy outbids xx, is now high bidder as there is no max bid from xx, then yy is lulled into a false sense of winning, goes to bed being the high bidder and dreams sweet dreams of that great card he is going to win in the auction.....then KAPOW......xx bids, is high bidder.... yy is asleep and xx wins the card. ....or something like that....

Last edited by Leon; 11-12-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 AM

I picked up the T206 mathewson dark cap PSa 4 with Tolstoi back, thought it was a good deal for a fairly rare card.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 AM
H@nk Smolen

collecting seems to be becoming more like algebra every day
Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yep, that's it. And the next day, yy writes on the board how annoyed they are with auctions that go on forever, and how they prefer ones that end lot by lot at a reasonable hour. And btw, Goodwin did go forever. I think I went to bed that night at 3am PST, and the auction was still going on, so I wasn't sure that the one lot that I was bidding on would hold it. Luckily it did, so I picked up the W516-1-2 Ruth strip card.

Last edited by glchen; 11-12-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well, considering that there is an active federal grand jury investigation of the once biggest auction house committing massive fraud which included raising bids to the ceiling levels placed by bidders, I'd say "not getting defrauded" would be the strategy of choice.
Must be a very complex case if said allegedly active investigation is now into its fourth year.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Sorry I asked. It was a serious question and I'm sure it isn't simply your strategy to avoid the auction house screwing you with a shill. Or are you really that paranoid?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Happens all the time. Not every case is considered as important as a ticking time-bomb terror case.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Sorry I asked. It was a serious question and I'm sure it isn't simply your strategy to avoid the auction house screwing you with a shill. Or are you really that paranoid?
I don't know -- have you represented any witnesses in any pending grand juries which are investigating shill bidding of auction houses? Or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night? I can tell you unequivocally (that means I'm not pretending I know something because I'm sitting behind a computer while writing on a chat board) that auction houses have looked at the ceiling bids of its customers and run the price up to that bid.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-12-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Johnny S

Sadly couldn't bid on the Victory
Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
Sadly couldn't bid on the Victory
I specifically thought about you when I saw that card. Sorry, bud.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I don't know -- have you represented any witnesses in any pending grand juries which are investigating shill bidding of auction houses? Or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night? I can tell you unequivocally (that means I'm not pretending I know something because I'm sitting behind a computer while writing on a chat board) that auction houses have looked at the ceiling bids of its customers and run the price up to that bid.
Calvin - I asked a question, it got some discussion going from intelligent board members. That's all I was looking for.

Kenny, etc. - thanks for the responses.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Scott, and I'm serious -- I think many, many bidders don't leave ceiling bids on auctions because of the fear of fraud by the house. I suspect most would tell you that. It sucks that with the houses ending auctions at 5 am that leaving ceiling bids is not done due to the potential fraud which only serves to keep prices down. But the auctioneers have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
I specifically thought about you when I saw that card. Sorry, bud.
Thanks man, any plans on bidding were destroyed after 8 days without power and below freezing nights, it was surreal to say the least. In a span of two months almost two weeks without power from the hurricane and this brutal nor easter. Never again, bought a generator, five gas cans and having the electrical box hooked up so just have to plug in outside and start it and will have power. During the outage only thoughts were staying warm and getting the kids fed, although I did have thoughts of the Victory every now and then lol.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think he is saying that if xx DOESN'T put in a max bid......then yy outbids xx, is now high bidder as there is no max bid from xx, then yy is lulled into a false sense of winning, goes to bed being the high bidder and dreams sweet dreams of that great card he is going to win in the auction.....then KAPOW......xx bids, is high bidder.... yy is asleep and xx wins the card. ....or something like that....
Leon, how about next time I just call you at 9:59 to discuss strategy, and you can help out with the bidding until all the lots close. You are a friend, right !?! I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express, pretending to be an important lawyer.

I put in four ceiling bids Thursday before the auction ended. Won all of them at less than my ceiling bids. Friday I did the same thing for three lots, with the same results. The fourth was not high enough, so I put in another bid during the extended bidding, still not high enough, put another one in and won. It was a fairly simple strategy, but I guess the auction house shillers weren't paying attention.

Scott <=== not paranoid enough to fully appreciate proper bidding strategy