NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Rawn Hill

Default Boston Spring Show

http://www.psacard.com/articles/arti...tml?artid=7126

I'll be there on Saturday. Noon by the bar as always and beers are on my tab. I'm sure Alan and Scott will be around as usual. Wear those NET54 t-shirts(I'm sure Leon has some more for sale). Don't be shy about saying Hi.

Rawn
Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'll be there, watching Jeff Reardon like a hawk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Scott S

Noon it is on Saturday - thanks for posting, Rawn, and look forward to seeing folks again!

Scott
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Bill Hedin

Default show

I am un-able to attend, but if any one would like to visit and talk/buy/sell/trade cards at my home in Framingham, email me!
You are all welcome!
Regards,
Bill Hedin
bh3443@aol.com
508-494-4409
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Rawn Hill

I would love to swing by, Bill, but it's in the wrong direction for me. Two weeks to go and I really need a card fix.

Rawn
Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Erich W

Default Show

Wish I could be there guys, but March 31 is my wife's due date! She won't let me out of her site that weekend

Have fun!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

hey guys...

How much is admission? Auto tickets for Bill Russell?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Don Hontz

Default Boston Show Rich Altman

I believe Admissison is $5---Bill Russell is around $300 per auto---I have done every one of these shows for the last 25 years(which includes the Greater Boston Card Collectors Club)---It is a great show with outstanding cards and collectables-----I will have my 1895 N300 Mayo's at the show if anyone is collecting these beauties---Should be a great show--Good Luck to all---thanks, Don
Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Tim Caravella

I am planning on attending Friday night...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I believe Admissison is $5---Bill Russell is around $300 per auto---I have done every one of these shows for the last 25 years(which includes the Greater Boston Card Collectors Club)---It is a great show with outstanding cards and collectables-----I will have my 1895 N300 Mayo's at the show if anyone is collecting these beauties---Should be a great show--Good Luck to all---thanks, Don
Thanks for the info Don. For $300 I am OUT of the Bill Russell circle!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Thanks for the info Don. For $300 I am OUT of the Bill Russell circle!
It's actually $175 for Russell flats, and then up from there. Full list of signers and show info is here:

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com...vents-1372.cfm

Looking forward to our regular meet-up by the bar at noon on Saturday - hope folks can make it!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Rawn Hill

Stuff all packed for the show, see you around noon. Take it easy on the good stuff until I can at least check it out. Some of us have a long ride to the show.

Rawn
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Brian Dwyer

I'll be roaming around the show on Friday if anyone is planning to be there. I'll be accepting consignments for the April 12 auction if you'd like to drop off items in person. I'll also be there Saturday but unsure as to what time since I have a house call scheduled that morning about an hour away.

Hope to see a few of you this weekend.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Rawn Hill

I'll have some thing to consign, Brian, if you will be around Saturday. I hope to be there between 11:30 to 2. I'll be sporting the fine for any occasion NET54 shirt, shameless plug to buy these as I'm sure Leon still has a bunch.

Rawn

Last edited by carrigansghost; 03-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrigansghost View Post
I hope to be there between 11:30 to 2. I'll be sporting the fine for any occasion NET54 shirt, shameless plug to buy these as I'm sure Leon still has a bunch.

Rawn

They are going fast though....down to the last 100 or so.....
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Rawn Hill

Trying to help, you put it out there.

Rawn
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I will be there today and tomorrow. I am very much looking forward to it. Rawn, I am looking forward to the meet up! I hope you do well with your consignments.
Alan
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Didnt have a chance to make it today, went friday and most likely tomorrow to see if any bargains can be had

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Didnt have a chance to make it today, went friday and most likely tomorrow to see if any bargains can be had
Hope all is well, Ted. It was nice meeting up with several other board members today - and the show actually had a decent amount of vintage stuff as compared to previous spring shows, so a good time all around!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Rawn Hill

Thx for meet up and great card talk today guys. Damn Alan and that scrapbook, WOW!!! Had the bar been open, I would have stuck around a bit longer. Always a pleasure to see you Scott, Alan Jim and Steve. Sorry if I mess up meeting you guys, I'm better with faces on cards than faces on people. Great to do some business with Heritage and Hunt's also.

Rawn
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Neal

Take some pics! Would love to see some! THX
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Rawn Hill

Bill Russell walked right by me, he still looks great. My son asked who he is, he now has a couple of books to read and learn.

Rawn
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Rawn Hill

Totals for the day:

Gas...42.00
Tolls..9.00
Food for my son...11.00
Drive time...5.5 hrs
Total spent on cards........ZERO.

Lesson learned.......This is the only major show close to the northern part of New England, bring stuff that might appeal to the natives. 3 dealers said they had stuff I might be interested in, but didn't bring it with them.

I realize the expense of bring the inventory and dealers want to bring high profit items, however, there are a quite a few nitche collectors up here in the cold.

I would very much like to know from the dealers here if they tweak their inventory that they bring to shows by location.

Thanks guys, Rawn
Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Tim Caravella

Just got back.. met a couple net 54 board members, saw some beautiful pieces. Fair amount of vintage, a lot of Boston, and surprisingly a lot of yankees. Saw PSA, BGS, JSA, and several aucion houses previewing. Forget which one it was, but had 3 type 1 shoeless joe pics coming up, very nice. Also saw a 1930's gamme used Yankee hat for $4500, beautiful condition, but my wife would have killed me..... Worth the 2 hour ride just to see some nice items.....

Tim
Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Scott S

Great point, Rawn - if dealers are going to a show in the Boston area, why not bring any and all Boston-related items you have?

They're more likely to sell that than the random 1950s Cardinals programs they've probably trucked all over the country for a decade...
Old 04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Rawn Hill

One dealer said he had some vintage Maine photos, but didn't bring them. Ok Do a show in Maine.

Rawm
Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Marty K.

Default 30's Yankee hat

Just curious......... what players hat was it? Thanks, Marty
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Rawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrigansghost View Post
Totals for the day:

Lesson learned......This is the only major show close to the northern part of New England, bring stuff that might appeal to the natives. 3 dealers said they had stuff I might be interested in, but didn't bring it with them.

I realize the expense of bring the inventory and dealers want to bring high profit items, however, there are a quite a few nitche collectors up here in the cold.

I would very much like to know from the dealers here if they tweak their inventory that they bring to shows by location.

Thanks guys, Rawn

Tis' a shame....I cannot understand dealers, who do not bring stuff to a show that they told you they would.

When I set up at the shows in the Philly area, I bring all the stuff I have that is Philadelphia A's & Phillies related.

When I set up at the Cooperstown Show on HOF weekend, I bring an eclectic collection of stuff (cards & memorabilia)
because a wide variety of collectors from different parts of the country visit. And, of course, depending on what team
the HOF inductee(s) played for.

Setting up at the National, I bring as large a collection of cards as I can stuff into my carrying case.

TED Z
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Rawn Hill

Sounds very reasonable, thx Ted.

Rawn
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Jim Mac

Default Spring show meeting

Hi all, had a great time at the spring show and really enjoyed meeting several of the Forum54 guys. Alan, Scott, Steve and Rawn all had great items to share and stories to tell, just a great time to meet and get to know you guys, thanks. Hope we can do it again in the fall, same place and time??? Jim
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Rawn Hill

Hey, Jim, A pleasure. I think some on the board may appreciate your "Caddy for the stars" stories. Please share a few. I'll be there in the fall, slow learner.

Rawn
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Jim Mac

Default Caddy to the stars

As a kid I made my spending money each summer as a caddie at the Hillview Counrty Club in No.Reading Ma. From 1956 thru 1963 I caddied 5-7 times per week and was priviledged to caddie for many sports celeb's and hollywood people. Celtic legend Bill Russell lived in Reading Ma. and often played at Hillview C.C. but always as a guest. Over the 8-9 years there (5 as an "A" caddie) I carried the bags of Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Tom Hienson, Frank Ramsey and a very funny and generous Satch Saunders. No, I didn't get any autographs from these stars as all that most caddies wanted was a good "Tip" ontop of the $2.50 rate for 18 holes. Good tips from Celtic players were around $2.00 and you could only carry one bag basicly because the bags were enormous. Filled with oversized clubs, a box of cigars and even cooler packs for the beer to stay cold. I weighed about 90 lbs and the bags would weigh about 60lbs. Made for a long 4 hours in the sun. Also caddied for James Garner of Maverick fame. He was a very good golfer and would play close to par golf. Friendly and a very good tipper. Caddied twice for George Raft the old ganster movie star and he would drive into the parking lot at Hillview in a chauffer driven Lincoln Limo. Very impressive for all us caddies to see. Always a fight to see who got to caddie for each of these celebs. My favorite of all was Bill Sharman of the Celts, he was always ready to buy the caddies a lunch after the first nine holes. That was huge for a poor kid like me. A dollar went a long way in late 1950's. I feel very fortunate to have been around so many great people. My only regret now is not getting a few sig's but like I said before at that time a $5.00 bill was more important than a Bill R. autograph. Oh did I mention caddeing for Patti Page on Ladies Day? Had some great teen years..
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 AM
Scott S

Great stories, Jim - how did I miss hearing that in person on Saturday?! And you're right - much better to have the experiences than an autograph!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Rawn Hill

Thx Jim, again a pleasure to meet you.

Rawn
Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Jim Mac

Hi Scott, no Rawn asked me to post a couple of memories from my time as a caddie. Just mentioned to him I had caddied for Sam Jones and Bill Russell at the show. So you didn't miss anything there at the show. Good to have met you. Jim