NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Default A card collector's mortality- slightly OT

Posted By: Bob

I had an interesting and sobering experience last night when my 5 year old grandson got his first peek in to grandpa's safe and the many cards slabbed and stacked therein. I showed him some (although he was much more fascinated with the 1909 Domino Disc metal set)and his eyes got as big as pie plates. I told him that some day these would all be his (or at least 1/2 depending on whether his older sister cared enough about money or cards to be interested) when he asked how old he would then be. I told him, "oh, when you are about 30." He turned to me and with that solemn and innocent look on his face, said, "Gee Paw-paw, you'll be dead then." Wow. I guess I would be 81 if I make it that long but suddenly my own mortality and the sudden apprehension that I might not indeed be around to see my grandson hit 30 was very sobering and more than a little depressing. It kinds of brings things in to perspective, doesn't it? Sorry for the "downer" thread but it's been a slow day, card and otherwise. I have resolved to make that last 25 years of life as packed full of adventure and wonderment as I can make it. I guess one reason for this post is that I was amazed at the other thread on here which indicated so many others like Steve, Ted, Max, Barry, Jay, etc. are about my age and I wondered if their reaction would have been similar to mine.
Well, I'm doing my best to cheer up and trying to resolve to make each and every day worthwhile. A noble effort and one which is surely beyond reach but, "a man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for," as someone once said. (Browning?)