NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default AMERICAN LITHOGRAPHIC Co....the T-Card factory

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Greetings....and, Wishing all of you a HAPPY 2009......

And, this year marks the 100th Anniversary of "The Monster" BB card set. To celebrate this event,
while in New York city for the holidays, my wife and I hiked 40 blocks downtown to 19th Street &
Park Avenue South. Situated at the corner of this intersection stands the 114 year old, 13-story,
building of the original AMERICAN LITHOGRAPHIC CO. (ALC)

[linked image]

Within this very building, the genius of Joseph Palmer Knapp (who founded the ALC in 1892), artists,
and lithographers created the majority of BB T-cards that we now cherish (and such other premiums
as Flags, Militarymen, Movie Stars, etc.) that were inserted in tobacco packs from 1900-1916.

We ventured into this building which now consists of professional offices. I asked a senior security
guard if there were any remaining historical sections pertaining to the original ALC facility ?
Unfortunately, he was not aware of any.

Post script......

As we walked outside the building, I searched around for any remnants of T-cards. Believe it or not,
I found a couple of "printer's scraps" by a cornerstone on the ground....it sure was my lucky day happy.gif

[linked image]

Thanks to Brian Weisner for the ALC entrance photo.

TED Z

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank L.

Thank you for the very interesting information.
Appreciate it.
Have a happy new year.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Thanks Ted!!!

I cringe when I hear someone say, or see where they've typed, that Piedmont Cigarettes printed baseball cards. Or that the American Tobacco Trust printed cards... Those entities had a hand in distributing cards. American Litho did the printing.

Nice photo of the building. When I next go to the city I'll attempt to make my way there to see the building. From the looks of the photo it won't be as much of a disappointment as when I walked to 221 Baker Street in London, there was no "B", there was a modest sign, virtually nothing.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

happy new year Ted and many thanks for sharing your trip with us.
it's always fascinating to see the pieces of the T206 puzzle come together
via illuminators other than the beloved cards.

best,
barry

Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Nice story Ted.. and nice scraps... next time your there.. pick up some scraps for me..

Marty

Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

BARRY A, FRANK L, FRANK W, MARTY O

I was hoping to find some museum-like room that would display some of ALC's finest lithographs.

After all, ALC was the biggest Litho. firm in the country. In the latter part of the 19th Century,
Joseph Knapp bought up most of the major Lithographic firms in the northeast. Knapp and James
Buchanan Duke (of ATC fame) became close friends. And, this led to a very close business rela-
tionship between ATC and ALC.

TED Z

Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

What is the significance of...."221 Baker Street in London" ?

I have a feeling I know; however, my mind is drawing a blank.

Best Wishes for the New Year to you,

TED Z

Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

It's the address of Sherlock Holmes (221B)

Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Cline - RC

Ted - Great adventure, another site to see.

Frank - According to the website there should be a museum there unless I'm misreading this.

http://www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/

RC

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Thanks Ted for posting the picture of the front of the building and telling your story of visiting the site. I'm very interested in the history of the American Lithograph Company and I plan to do some serious research on the company when I get some spare time. Joseph Knapp the company's founder was a noted philanthropist; he has a library named after him at the University of South Carolina. I'm hoping to take a vacation there in the future and see if there are any personal correspondance or company records that may have been archived at the site. Please post any other information that you come up with.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J.McMurry

Actually, the Knapp Library is on the campus of the University of NORTH Carolina. Wouldnt want you to travel to the wrong state.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Frank,

I, too, went to 221 B Baker Street in 2001, but went to the museum. It was kind of interesting. They had mannequins re-enacting certain famous storylines and period antiques and furnishings. The funniest thing was I found myself looking at the objects and saying "No, Holmes wouldn't have had one like this" or "Moriarity surely had better taste than this"...finally remembering that they are FICTIONAL characters...lol.

I have been such a Holmes fan for so long, I tend to forget the reality part!! happy.gif

The museum could have been better, but it was still enjoyable. We bought a tiny street sign and Holmes and Watson salt/pepper shakers.

Oh well, enough rambling.

Shawn

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian T.

There is actually a restaurant at that location in London. OK, not actually at 221B... that is just a plaque on a wall where it would be, but they do have a very small museum and a restaurant associated with it. The food was underwhelming (go figure for English cuisine) and overpriced, but we did have a good time. I got a Sherlock Holmes tie at the gift shop. I was a sucker that day for a sliver of memorabilia.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian T.

Hey, Ted

Any chance of knowing whether the 1903 Breisch Williams set was printed there too? The dates you assigned to it made me wonder.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Just got in, and my answer to your question is......

The 1903 Breisch-Williams set (E107) is an American Caramel Co. related issue. It was
most likely produced in the Philadelphia area.

I will try to follow up with some more info on it. Or perhaps, someone else will chime in
on more specific info on the E107 cards.

TED Z

Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

For those of you interested in more AMERICAN LITHO. history and a sample of their other great lithos (besides T-cards), browse
thru the various pages within this link......

http://spoonercentral.com/2005/ALCO2.html

TED Z

Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Sorry for the digression...

About 20 years ago, when I walked, tubed, and walked to get to 221B Baker Street, I turn the corner and all that is there is the wall of a bank. Nothing. A tiny English understatement plaque. NOTHING!!!!

There might be a restaurant nearby, but not AT 221B. And I doubt the museum is THERE, I can't imagine the bank moving. It might be nearby, or may well be one of numerous English hoaxes that reel in the Yanks.

Back to ball cards, Watson. The collection's afoot!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

DELETED

Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

FRANK W

Digression can be good....when it is interesting like your's always is.

So, having said that, it's my turn to digress. This thread started with a 100 year old topic....let's go back 232 years.

FRANK
I know how you appreciate events in history. It always amazed me that Christmas of 1776, George Washington and
his rag-tag army of 2400 men won the battle of Trenton, a turning point in the American Revolution, as it was our
first significant victory in this war. This event, eventually led to our victory over the British and our Freedom.

This painting shows General Washington mustering his troops in Pennsylvania along the Delaware River on the eve of
this battle. All the buildings in this picture are still standing at Washington Crossing, PA. Just as they were in 1776.
My point here is that it's great to see historical structures that still exist as they were 232 years ago. And, if they
could only talk....they would tell us some fantastic tales.

We live 7 miles north of Washington Crossing. And, I can tell you that every year on Christmas day, 1000's of people
gather around here to see the re-enactment of Washington's famous crossing.

[linked image]

......Gen. Washington on horseback....../\

TED Z

Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

Ted,

Thanks for sharing the picture and link(s) with us. In following some of the links, I found one with some more pictures of the building for those who are interested.

http://geocities.com/sylvanspoon/NYNY4.html

Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Great pictures....thanks for providing the link.

And, as was stated in this link......
"Naturally I went inside and asked the security guard at the front desk if I could take photos. Of course he said NO.....
The fact that I told him I know the guy that had it built did not seem to impress him at all .....but it looked like it has
been heavily remodeled on the interior into typical modern nothingness."

This exactly was the experience we had. So, I sought and found a senior security guard, hoping I could find some hint
of this great company. I was refused....and, it became immediately obvious to me, that none of the employees really
appreciated the significance of this building housing their offices.
However, I understood.....I cannot really expect that the current residents of this building are "T-card nuts" like us BB
card collectors ?

Those pictures really capture this 13-story, classic looking building, which is dwarfed by its surrounding buildings. And,
for a 114 year old structure, it looks pretty solid.

TED Z