NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting Cobb card on Ebay (opinions?)

Posted By: Brian Hodes

Please check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1803065251

Don't the scans make it look like this card is in an SGC holder?
If it is indeed incarcerated in a holder why isn't that mentioned (along with its grade)? Anyway, I don't begruge a seller wanted to grade the card himself (the companies are ridiculously tough on this issue) it just seems strange to scan the card in the holder and not acknowledge it -- after all it does mean that the card is "authentic", right? Many of these questions answer themselves I think -- i.e the seller might not want to disclose SGC's grade presumably something less than Nrmt-Mt 8/88 ?
Just wondered what the board thought?

Old 02-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Good questions!

Based on the scans, it DOES appear that the card may have been in an SGC holder at one time. Since, I am not familiar with the holders of all grading companies, this is only an assumption on my part.

My hypothesis would be that the card (if graded) was encapsulated during the Rosen/Merkle era, but no longer resides in a holder. In my opinion, the T202 Cobb is undersized (top-to-bottom). A wild guess on my part would be that the card was purchased in a graded state and then "cracked" and resubmitted to PSA. Perhaps the images were taken from a catalog or the original auction listing. Perhaps they were taken before the card was removed from the holder. My first question would be, "You have many other cards on eBay that are PSA graded. Why is this card not also graded?"

Curiously, the SGC Population report for this card (Cobb-O'Leary, A Desperate Slide for Third) indicates the following eight grades:

86 - 1 (Near Mint plus)
80 - 1 (Ex/Nm)
60 - 1 (Ex)
50 - 1 (Vg-Ex)
40 - 3 (Vg)
20 - 1 (Fair)

Ask for a guarantee and exercise caution before bidding.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have two graded T202s from SGC and the black inside is identical. I do have a few problems with the post, Why not supersize ( or Mexisize if you prefer) to get a detail up close scan of the card and corners and the colors on the right side of the card do not match up, and if someon offered me double book for a card that has a couple obvious flaws (be it minor) I certainly would take the money.

By the way Mike, What is a Dunderhead? I have called my brother many names but never that, please educate me on dunderhead and I will tell you if it actually applies to him.

Lee

Old 02-04-2002, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

This one is also on Ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1802752805
I think this shows that the first one was/is in an SGC holder (at least when the scans were done). Interesting that these two are up at the same time.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Brian --

Undoubtedly, the borders on the second T202 Cobb/O'Leary are larger.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I don't understand the grade it receieved it seems to have either paper loss or paper stuck to it on hte Cobb panel.

If your still on line Brian, chat?

Lee

Old 02-05-2002, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I save the black SGC inserts, then sometimes use them as part of a mat/frame display. This works great except you have to have the insert and card pressed tightly against the glass or the card will slip out.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

One of the reasons I've stayed away from T-202's (with the exception of one card) is because of the difficulty I have in evaluating the folds on the cards, and the general/normal wear associated with them.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have the SGC50 one of this card. I would think the seller is trying to get more than it is worth. It would be almost stupid to not take the offer he said was given to him some time ago. If you check his feedback it ain't so good either. If you read the problems with the negatives and neutrals given it shows he has some issues. Personally I would pass on this card..caveat emptor....just my thoughts....and as always best regards

Old 02-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

Poor Dumb guy...

He should have jumped on that $4,000 offer!!

(yeah, right)