NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default The Future of Baseball 'Hard-Copy' Libraries:

Leon- I hope it's okay to post this here:

I have seen this day coming, but it doesn't come with any assurances. For years, I have collected around 200 Hard-Cover books about Baseball and Yearly Issues of TSN Baseball Guide (1962-2006), the USA-Today Baseball Weekly Almanacs (1992-2000) followed by Baseball America Almanacs (1993-2019) and Baseball America Prospects Handbooks (2006,2008,2014-2019).

This week, I was told that the 2019 Atlanta Braves Media Guide will not be produced in hard-copy form. This ends my quest to have every Braves Media Guide since they moved to Atlanta (53 not including WS, AS and Aaron Specials).

With all the changes, I'm wondering how to at least 'cull down' my collections. I have donated many to my local library, but I'm short on ideas.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Is anyone looking for a book that I may have?

I also have a bunch of 'real pretty' auction catalogs.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-26-2019, 01:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Bury your books under a tree. With less printed material books, newspapers, catalogs etc, fewer trees will be needed by publishers, but let's not forget the plants that will still be needed to convert CO2 to O2 to keep us all alive.
Plants benefit from our carbon footprint and from your books. Come to think of it, when you bury your books, toss in an oxygen tank before you cover them up.
Your elm will thank you.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Leon- I hope it's okay to post this here:

I have seen this day coming, but it doesn't come with any assurances. For years, I have collected around 200 Hard-Cover books about Baseball and Yearly Issues of TSN Baseball Guide (1962-2006), the USA-Today Baseball Weekly Almanacs (1992-2000) followed by Baseball America Almanacs (1993-2019) and Baseball America Prospects Handbooks (2006,2008,2014-2019).

This week, I was told that the 2019 Atlanta Braves Media Guide will not be produced in hard-copy form. This ends my quest to have every Braves Media Guide since they moved to Atlanta (53 not including WS, AS and Aaron Specials).

With all the changes, I'm wondering how to at least 'cull down' my collections. I have donated many to my local library, but I'm short on ideas.

Have you asked the Braves if they can send you a digital copy?

It's probably in PDF, so you could print your own with nice paper and ink.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Have you asked the Braves if they can send you a digital copy?

It's probably in PDF, so you could print your own with nice paper and ink.

Good Idea, Steve...Thanks

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Tim Odeen

Did you or a child graduate from college? You could think about donating it to the college archives upon your death. Every college has some sort of estate planning / donation / trust set up to accept collections - especially if it is a complete "set" of something, because then it has historical value. WA State has a buttload of colleges and universities, and I doubt all of the them have complete runs of the Mariners' media books.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:16 AM

Default Media guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

I would keep all of the media guides from your favorite team, or anything that has a roster page. I’ve noticed in doing my own research on Cleveland players that the rosters within the media guides contain a bunch of info not easily found online. Often the rosters are a snapshot either during spring training or right at opening day that is not captured elsewhere or that you could not find online after the fact. Even though now a days you can find 25 and 40 man rosters online, they are in the moment and can change and it’s hard to find the digital snapshot of one from a specific date thereafter. If you look at any of your Braves rosters from pre internet you will see names and faces of obscure players that either did not make the team coming out of spring training or had just a cup of coffee in the majors. If you research and /or collect these players you just won’t find this info online easily. The only thing I have found comparable online are subscription services to historic newspapers, and even then it is not so simple to find.