NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Default Reputable buyers of entire collections

So I may be getting to that point where it's time to part with my beloved collection of vintage cards and memorabilia that I've spent the last 25 years of my life putting together. It's grown to the point where I'm starting to worry about the liability and/or potential losses of keeping it.

I've always had this idea that, when it came time to sell, possibly it could be sold in its entirety to a fellow collector who would not only be willing to pay a fair market value for the collection, but also love the cards/sets, etc. and care for them as I have. I know this is likely nothing more than some far-out fantasy, and most people interested in large, high-end accumulations would be after it to break it down and make some bucks.

Dealers in general usually leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth due to their laughably low buy prices and lame tactics of attempting to tell you what's wrong with your cards (i.e. "you see this one has 80/20 centering") in an effort to drive down the price even further. It's always amusing to me to start talking to a card show dealer like you have no clue about the hobby and then listen to the BS that comes next to try to steal your stuff from you.

I realize most folks (including myself) on here sell some, or a lot, on the side as a way to feed their own collecting habits, but their primary motivation isn't money. So I'm wondering if there are any names/recommendations of folks that fit this description -- or at least will always be above board in their dealings with you. A few that I've considered are Kit Young and the Baseball Card Exchange, but they're not really collectors either.

Anyone had any positive experiences with dealers/deep-pocketed buyers they'd like to share, or dealers/buyers that absolutely should be avoided?

I've done a lot of trolling on these boards over the last six months, and I've really come to respect the opinions on here.
Many thanks,
Rob
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

I could certainly recommend a couple of dealers to you, and would be happy to do so via PM or email, but it seems highly unlikely you will find a collector whose needs match the entire collection. So if you do want to sell to collectors, I would advise breaking up the collection and selling it (ebay, B/S/T, whatever) in pieces.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Phil Garry

Rob:

An important thing to know in order to direct you to the right person/people would be the focus of your collection.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default buyer, seller, flipper, auctioneer, Collector

Great question. I have given the idea of "how" to sell ones collection when that time comes, with myself in mind. Quite the narcissist, huh? I would love to think that there was someone that is as passionate as I have been about putting my collection together as I have, with the MEANS and with the INCLINATION to buy it intact. I doubt that is the case though....

If you are selling it and it isn't some kind of rare complete set, or pieces that uniquely go with others, then most likely breaking it down will maximize your profits. We have discussed this quite a bit on the board before and I don't think much has changed. I think trying to sell it as one whole collection, unless there is an extraordinary reason to keep it together, will lessen your profits.

Since you have been lurking these, and I presume other boards recently, then you already have most of the information needed to make the best decision on where and how to sell it. You pretty much know all of the venues; personally, B/S/T, Ebay, Premium Auction venue, other auction venue, newspaper etc... Take your time and Good luck.

Last edited by Leon; 03-21-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Barry Sloate

The best way to go is consigning it to an auction, and letting the auction house decide how to market it (and a little input from your end should be encouraged). Selling it in its entirety to one collector is a nice romantic notion, but it isn't likely to happen. Don't worry where the cards end up, just be most concerned with how to maximize the sale. You have no control over that anyway. You could sell it to one collector thinking it will stay intact, and then a year later he may decide to sell the cards one at a time on ebay. So that part shouldn't concern you.

As others have noted, how you choose an auction house depends on what you have; specifically, the value of the key cards and the collection as a whole. If it's not super valuable and you go with a big auction house, they will group the material and that's not best for you. In that case, find a smaller house that will sell as much of it individually as possible.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Joe M.

I don't think it's possible one person would buy your collection. If they did, it would probably be sold one by one anyway. If you decide to sell, consign to an auction house or let everyone know what you have on this board, maybe you would be surprised.

Joe
Old 03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Sorry for the omission of details about the collection. I didn't want people to think I was posting some sort of ad on here to sell. Really just looking for advice. But here are a few snippets:

- Primary focus is high-grade sets from the 1960s with most key star cards and RCs PSA 7 and 8. (Sorry, I realize this board is mostly for pre-war fans). Highlights include 62T complete set w/150 cards PSA7 and 8, 57T partial, 51B partial, 52B partial, 59T partial, 60T complete, 60F complete, 61T complete PSA 8 Maris, 63 partial gorgeous, 63F complete PSA7 checklist, 64Tcomplete, 65T complete, 67T partial, 68T partial, 69T complete all keys PSA 8, two complete sets of every year in the 1970s, except 71, which I only have one. I've painfully upgraded all over the years and all I would characterize all as NRMT/NMMT or better.

- 3,500+ single star cards, hundreds of graded vintage cards, and RCs, 1909-1978. Kept nothing with a crease. Condition range of all cards is EX to MINT. Includes T206, Goudeys Foxx, Hornsby, etc., three 55T Clemente RC, 49 Bowman Jackie Robinson RC, 52 Bowman Mays PSA6, 50 BCampanella GAI 8, 50B Williams PSA 6, most regular Topps cards of every 50s and 60s star players, etc. Also, another 3,500+ high-grade commons 1957-72 that are dups of those in my sets.

- Authentic signed memorabilia. Ted Williams signed bat PSA/DNA. 25+ singed balls JSA/PSA/DNA incl. DiMaggio, Roger Maris signed display piece PSA/DNA, Jackie Robinson signed exhibit card JSA, Original 11 HOF single-signed baseball wall display w/Mantle, Williams, etc. PSA/DNA.

Just to name a few. Thanks again,
Rob
Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM

As someone who works in the auction industry, I strongly encourage that you go that route. The basic concept with auction houses is the "more you get, the more we get". You won't find that with a dealer or collector. Everyday we field phone calls from collectors all over the country who struggle with this exact question as the original poster.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 03-21-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

I think what type of collection you've put together is a factor. A person who focused on putting together sets might have a better chance of finding a buyer for everything than, say, someone who collected only Cleveland Indians memorabilia and cards his entire life.

Timing is also important.

Last edited by Rob D.; 03-21-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If the only reason you are planning to liquidate is concern over loss in a calamity, insure the bulk of the value of the collection. If there is more to it than that consideration, if it was my collection, I'd liquidate this way:

Sounds to me like what you've got for the most part is mainstream material in nice but not registry-level condition. For that sort of stuff, bargain as hard as you can with an auction house for a reduced commission, consign it and forget it. Be sure to fill out a financing statement (UCC-1) and record it in the state where the auctioneer is located to protect your stuff--no sense in risking the lot if the auctioneer goes bust and the creditors try to grab it (see Mastro). Pull the best of the cards--the big, first tier HOF names--and set those aside. No one is likely to go broke holding and selling off Cobb, Ruth, Speaker, Foxx, Alexander, Mathewson, Gehrig, Mays, Koufax, Mantle, Aaron, etc. I'd also pull and retail any scarce regionals, oddball issues with popular collector bases, and similar hard to find things. You may find that after liquidating the bulk you feel comfortable with your expense leve and want to keep and enjoy the nicest cards as a whole new collection with a better focus. If not, liquidate them yourself via Ebay and BST. It will be manageable in scale and you won't leave a large % with the auctioneer.

You're also going to want to sit down and do a bit of tax planning to determine the tax effect of a sell-off. It may make sense to create a business plan and file a properly documented Schedule C at tax time as a self-employed person rather than treating the cards as an investment. Talk to your tax advisor before you act.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-21-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Rich Klein

Default Robert; it also depends on

How quickly you need the capital.

I agree with Adam as to protecting yourself in the auction route. I can also tell you that many dealers will pay close to what you get in an auction (after the fees are taken out) and you get money immediately. I'll point out that someone like Brian Wentz as an example (BMW Sportscards); will pay you a fair price immediately on the spot in case you don't want to wait to go through anything. You mentioned both Steve Hart (BBCE) and Kit Young, I know both of those people for many years as well and both are class acts in the hobby as well.

But it sounds like your dream is to sell to a collector who will sell the duplicates to pay for his/her purchase.

I'll also point out that in an auction situation; you will also want to maintain as much control over how your lots are slotted as possible as well. Orioles 1954 (James) works for Bill Huggins, who I have known for more than 30 years and is as good as anyone in the auction business.

Frankly; if you have the time and the inclination; the best way to maximize your investment is to sell it yourself through various means: I'll also include the BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) boards here. EBay is a way to get bids in, etc.

I think what I'm saying and the board is saying is the decision is yours. Sit down; think about what you want to do and decide as to the method of selling. Once you figure out whether

1) You want to do it all yourself (EBay; BST, etc.)

2) You want to sell the lot to a dealer immediately (BMW, BBCE, Kit, etc)

3) You want to go the auction route. (Ebay; BST, etc)

Once you figure out what you want to do (and frankly all three of these routes are possible because of what you have). Then proceed to step two; which is figuring out WHOM you want to deal with in each situation.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-21-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Richard A.

On two separate occasions I have liquidated my collection because I felt the value was getting too be too much for me to justify. Now to be fair, in my case we were talking about significantly smaller values, but when I looked at having a safe with $3-5K of cardboard in it and outstanding student loans, car payments, etc. it was too much.

In one case I sold the collection off in pieces (also traded some of it), and in another, I sold to a dealer. Both routes worked. Both routes got me reasonably fair value (selling in pieces was better than to a dealer, but I knew that going in and wanted the money fast with no hassle).

In the end, I only had one regret: Because I wasn't leaving the hobby, I kept a few cards that I knew I'd never replace. There are a couple others that I wish I had kept that would not have drastically affected the net value. Five years later, I am still in the hobby, my student loans and car payments are gone, and I sure wish I had a couple of those cards back. In some cases, I *could* buy them back for more than I sold them for, but in at least a couple cases, I know those cards aren't for sale. My saving grace is that I know they have found "good homes".

Bottom line: Regardless of how you sell, if there's a chance you may still collect, or you aren't selling because you need the money, keep the ones you think you may regret selling later.

Regardless of what route you take, good luck.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Consider the twenty solicitations you have already received from dealers and auction houses since posting here. . Seriously though, it looks like you are getting good advice here.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 03-21-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Jeff Obermeyer

Default Indians...

Rob, does that mean you've given up the dream of selling your Indians collection intact?

Jeff
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Dave Foster

Default Reputable buyers of entire collections

JMO, I'd pass on any big shot dealers like Young, et al, unless leaving $$$ on the table doesn't bother you. To underscore my point, check his, or any dealer's "buy" prices . . . about what any dealer would offer. Remember: dealers are in the biz to turn a profit . . . and not for any great love of card collecting! Best option is breaking down your collection into smaller lots - tho' time consuming - and doing it yourself, to maximize value for your collection. Try the BST forum on this board, with your lots priced at a moveable $ figure. Upside: All the coin is yours! No dealer low balls or auction commish to rip you off. Best Luck!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

what Barry said.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Thanks to all for your many helpful suggestions, strategies, and yes, many e-mail offers as I contemplate the unthinkable.

What makes this a excruciatingly tough decision is that the goal has not yet been accomplished: so many sets not yet finished and others not even started. And yes, in response to a previous post, I'm not the type to spend $1,000 on a PSA 9 common, but am the type to spend $500 on a PSA 8 star or RC. So that's what I set out to do: build a really nice, consistent NRMT/NMMT Topps set run, not spend my life building one an out-of-this-world example for the set registry.

Really there is no rush here, so I'm going to weigh a lot of the various options, many of which have been illustrated by the experts here. Also very much on the table: Keep everything, load up with insurance and keep going.

Who knows what the future holds?

Rob
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Jason

Default Maybe,...well...hard to say.

Robert,
Good luck with it all, whatever you decide. There isn't much that I can add to this that hasn't already been said by far more advanced colelctors and professionals above.
But I will say this: Perhaps your confusion/hesitation suggests that a good route that would fit you personally, would be to sell it off in increments, according to your level of interest/passion in the particular pieces. In other words, start trimming the collection like a bonsai tree. Start with the least favorite items, and continually trim the incrementally less-loved pieces over time.
just a thought.
hopefully over time you would have a smaller collection, have realized cash value, and at any given time, only be left with what you like.

Now, for that piece of advice, please send me your Jimmy Foxx cards!

Honestly, though, best of luck, and keep us posted on what you decide, as it will serve to help us all withour own decisions in some way.