NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default How do you pay the mortgage???

Posted By: ScottIngold

Do you by chance mean sous chef ? The Souix one was funny though.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

I think that's a "sous chef" or, as they say in Paris, Texas an "Under chef." Some lawyers on the board might be regular ole' "Sue Chefs!" but we'll let them duke it out to see who's the "Sue Chief"
I'm a doctoral student in Classics and Ancient History, which means I get paid to read about what people were up to in Rome and Greece some two-thousand odd years ago. And on the oft occasion, I teach a bit about it or spend my summers going to dig in the dirt in some sunny Mediterranean country. If you're as bewildered as I am to know that they pay me to do this delightful job, then be comforted by the fact that I couldn't possibly have a mortgage. Though I do have a baseball card collection!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

You know what I think? LOL

I'm a stright shooter and YOU? it's funny that some one would have to prove them self on net54! LOL

Brad

Old 04-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Fouch

I'm a newspaper journalist -- mostly copy editing and page design, but I also occasionally do some writing. Always looking for an excuse to write about cards, so if anyone has an idea for a story that would appeal to the masses on Long Island, shoot me an e-mail. (I'm already thinking that in 2009 I'll pitch a "T206 turns 100" story.)

Just recently got a mortgage for the first time, which is why I had to sell off my collections in the first place. Sold my card, comic and record collections (yes, I'm a ridiculously obsessive collector) to fund the down payment. Now that we're settled in the house, I'm getting back into collecting and decided to tackle vintage cards -- primarily T206. Already acquired more than 100 -- mostly low-grade -- with several (beater) HOFers.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

Hey Brad,
Hope I didn't come off the wrong way, certainly didn't mean to offend. Actually, I'm pretty envious of you, I love to cook, but I'm nowhere near good enough to make a go of it as a job. What restaurant/what kind of restaurant do you work in?

Seth B.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

you have to admit that Geno's pun was excellent. You "North of the Borderers" have to lighten up. It is Springtime you know.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator

No, I'm not offended. The bored is more interesting when there is some kinda drama going on.
I work at the Four Seasons Hotel, French Cuisine in Vancouver Canada.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

A wise man once said, Never ever give the guy any grief that prepares your food.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I pay the bills by being a Regional Manager for a major Industrial/ Medical gas supplier. I pay for my cards playing Texas Hold-em.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

It was just a play on words, a pun......sioux is pronounced the same as sous, and the Sioux Chief was exactly that, an Indian Chief whose peoples famously fought european colonization - including many famous battles including Little Big Horn. Amongst card collectors, the reference is amusing as there have been a number of card issues from the late 1800's to middle 1900's that have featured the image of one or other Sioux Chiefs.
So, it was just an "In the huddle" joke, not meant otherwise.

Kind regards
Daniel

Old 04-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Actually, most people of the Lakota tribes consider Sioux a derogatory word since they consider their nation to be Lakota and various tribes to be Hunkpapa (Sitting Bull's tribe), Oglala (Crazy Horse's tribe), Blackfeet, etc.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

And what do I do?
Well, I grow old prematurely whilst staying at home and raising(being razed by?) two beautiful over controlling kids ages 2 and 3 and a half.
My wife is brilliant, highly motivated, and makes more money in 1 than I could in 3 years, so I get to potty train and surf my favourite hobby. I'm planning my coming out party to the business world and should be free, free at last, free at last, in 18 months. I know as the son of a father who left when I was 7, that it is the best choice, greatest happenstance, that could have ever have eventuated and loving your kids too dearly is impossible.

Ps. Lots of fun seeing who does what, excellent thread!

Old 04-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S

Joe,

Do you play your "Hold-em" online or in the traditional manner?

Thanks.

BTW, we have as a board member a renowned author on the topic. Without prior permission from them, I don't feel it's appproprite to name them.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

I am an R&D scientist with a company who makes flavors for the food industry. I spend my work day creating and tasting flavors for candy, beverages, bakery items, and anything else our customers want to put a flavor into. We do get some very strange requests from time to time.
I do have a mortgage and one month year old twins so my income is well accounted for. I do manage to save a few pennies for some low grade vintage cards though.

Joann and Bob, I studied a bit of meteorology in college too. I would be working in thatfield right now if my brain could comprehend physics and calculus a little better. No complaints though.

Jim

Old 04-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Lakota is what they call themselves. Sioux is what outsiders and enemies called them. Whichever side of the mascot issue one takes, this gives keen insight into why Lakota wouldn't consider it an honor or privledge for a college to call themselves the Sioux. The Lakota will consider a college's choice of the name 'Sioux' to be adversarial to the tribe, condisending or ignorant ('The don't even know what we call ourselves')-- none of which can reasonably be interpreted as honoring of the tribe.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

a people who share a geographic location and language, and also divided into tribes, whilst the term Sioux refers to a much larger grouping of indian tribes across the continental USA including the Lakota?

IE.. Sioux Nation?

Old 04-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

seth

i too studied ancient history, egyptology and southwest untied states mainly. congrats on making a living at it and making it as far as you have in school. what an exciting future you have in store. if you ever get a chance to read other boards you might enjoy this one

GUARIAN'S EGYPT DISCUSSION

if the link doesn't work here is the address
http://egyptologist.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Old 04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

currently a graduate student...also part time researcher for an education policy non profit...

Old 04-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator

this is a cool thread.

Joe and Bob S. Do you play online? Party Poker or the best...Pokerstars. I'd love to get a game together. Pokerstars 2005_XKR

Old 04-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

I play at pokerroom it's a very good place to play poker and it free!

My poker name is Wagner_T206

Brad

Old 04-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I retired last year after 30 years as a lawyer with the federal government. I'm taking up golf and attending adult education classes at nearby George Mason U. (Fairfax, Va) of Final Four fame.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darrell

I'm a currency trader - ironically I can't afford my mortgage for the next few months since I just paid the IRS today -

Heading to Japan tomorrow for business - supposed to catch a Japanese baseball game in Nagoya on Wednesday night - heard they are a great time -- I think it is in a dome .... Anyone been to baseball games in Japan??
D

Old 04-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator

As David poined out, Sioux is a termed used by outsiders and enemies. This term encompasses tribes that do not included the Lakota nation, which is what makes up probably 95% of what people consider Sioux. So Sioux and Lakota are not neccessarily the same thing, just like a square is a rectangle, but rectangle isn't a square.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

This is very, very interesting! Keep 'em coming!

Old 04-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Bob S, I play traditional money games live. I only play tournements on line. I didn't know we had any poker players on this site. I play at pokeroom.com under..what else 2dueces..sometime we all should get together for a poker night and have a little fun. Joe

Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyle

I am a child /adolescent psychiatrist .I don't collect vintage cards but I read this board as a means to keep up with psychiatric conditions , especially Obsessive Compulsive Disorder... Actually , I have to be honest with you ,I love vintage cards but only collect Cobbs !

Old 04-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Just email me a day in advance to play poker!

My name is my email.

Brad

Old 04-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I wrote a book on hold'em. I don't like to use my name on non-gambling public forums for search engine reasons, so I use my email id (cmoking) as my userid here. I do use my name as my id in gambling forums.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon

For the most part, I try to use only gambling winnings to buy cards. The more I want to spend on cards, the harder I work playing poker and betting on sports.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

"...the harder I work playing poker and betting on sports."

I am green with envy cmoking.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator

You know what they say about people who over analyze things..........your crazy!

Old 04-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I'm stationed in San Antonio TX at the Air Force Personnel Center, where I take care of the voting and fundraising programs for the Air Force.

Steve

Old 04-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator

very,very technical. If I could memorize everything therein I'd probably freeze up at the table. See you at Caesars in May.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I work at a pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) doing the QC/Marketing Database work for some of the marketing campaigns that we mail out. I guess the easiest way to describe it would be...I'm the guy that lets you know how much money you will save if you change your Rx to a generic or by cutting out the middle man and buy directly from us and getting your prescription by mail.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm financially independant and my home is paid for. Whether or not qualifying as a vocation, I'm an art historian.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Practiced law until 13 years ago, when I was elected a state court district judge. The state mails me a check, I put the money in the bank, and my good wife tends to paying the mortgage.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Patent lawyer with solo practice. Mostly telecommunications technologies. Left the L.A. rat race two years ago for the friendly confines of Boulder, Colorado. No regrets so far.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I own a construction company. I specialize in new residential. Play hold 'em on fulltilt.

Jason

Old 04-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I pay my mortgage any way I can. I Am a Class A builder and hold a real estate license in the state of Virginia. I try to build at least one house a year and list and sell a few homes a year ( mostly friends ) I just got my Certificate of Occupancy on one today!!! Now I can buy a few cards! I also end up doing a ton of tear off roofing jobs ( all the realtors know they can call me when they have a listing that needs a new roof.) I also used to be a commercial fisherman out of Wanchese, North Carolina. Did a lot of long netting but also a lot of shrimping and scalloping. I used to own a restaurant and two video stores. I would love to play poker for a living, I sort of did that back in the early seventies playing at the fish house in Colington , North Carolina.
My collecting is a little like my life, all over the place. I do try to concentrate on t206s and t205s (both sets on the registry) Jay, I look at the registry sort of how I look at golf, I am there only to compete with myself. I have one psa graded 8 T206 and I love it. It really is a beautiful thing. Hey, I love my beaters just as well, I am 20 short of finishing the set. Did I just say that!. I will never finish that set.
Hey Air Force guys, do any of you know Beau Neal ( my Nephew). He just got transferred to Hawaii. He used to fly C-17s in Germany. I think he Trains other pilots now.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Adkins

A former long time IT consultant for baseball teams, large businesses and government agencies. Used to get to work with satellite communications, large scale website work, supercomputers, aircraft recovery technology and a bunch of other really cool things but now I mostly sit at my desk waiting for the phone to ring.

Currently I am a Hospital IT Director and no, I'm not complaining a bit.

Proving it's a small world, I worked at an AFB with another board member in the mid 90's although we didn't realize this until a couple years ago....eh Geno! Best sweet 'n sour wings on the planet at a local Irish pub, 2-lbs for $5......mmmmm.......wings......mmmmm.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Geno & Steve Dawson

That makes 3 of us Air Force guys.....I was in during the Cuban Missle Crises.
Stationed up in Maine on a SAC base full of those big beautiful B52 bombers.
My 4 years in the Air Force were really great (except for the 5 weeks of
basic training in San Antonio in 100-degree climate). The 1 year technical
schooling I received was better than anything I got in 4 years of college.

I was a Radar Specialist and had easy duty working at a Weather Squadron
(and in the process learned a lot about Meteorology). This education and
experience in electronics was very valuable in my EE career after my Air Force
tour of duty.
I was in those B52's but never flew in one.....you guys are the greatest.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Internist, Gastroenterologist. Will do free Colonscopy for hi grade T206's!

Frank

Old 04-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I'm a union sheetmetal worker(install the HVAC on big projects) in colorado to pay my mortgage,card player at night to buy my chicago cubs and bears vintage cards.currently play on paradise(budracing),have accounts on party and ultimate.Also thanks for all the knowledge I have obtained on this board
later jeff

Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Tocco

I'm a nuclear engineer at a power plant in Illinois. I'm currently in plant engineering, responsible for the performance of the fuel pool cooling system, shutdown cooling system, high rad sampling system, cranes, hoists, elevators, manlifts, fuel handling equipment, and spent fuel cask handling equipment. I've previously worked on post-9/11 security upgrades (the most fun I've ever had at work), emergency core cooling systems, reactor coolant pumps, motor operated valves, turbines... you name it. It's interesting that only one poster so far is involved with sports for a living.

Joe

Old 04-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Operations Manager for the national Med/PIP Subrogation Unit with Farmers Insurance. Unfortunately that won't make me popular with some of the lawyers on the board... especially the ones in California.

Jeff

Old 04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I worked at cook in michingan when they shut that down,worked on the containment system do the sheetmetal work,very interesting work.Been next to the reactor and spent fuel rod pool.LOVED the money I was making working 7 tens.Hated the wait for badging to get in,I here it's worse now
Later jeff

Old 04-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator

cmoking, Seems like we have another thing in common besides collecting vintage cards. I've been playing for 31 years and I must say the last 4 have been some of the most interesting times. I remember shady games, smoke filled rooms, body guards, fear of being robbed by thiefs and the police, guns and shady dealers. Ahhhhhhhhh those were the good old days!!! We would get a call 2 days in advance to show up at a hotel and only 1 hour before the game started would we know the location. Briefcases full of money and away we went for 3 days till the next month. We played with the same 15 group for years. I played with all the best and old timers back then. Now, with TV popularity and the infux of new players it is unbelievable the education these new players obtain at the table. I keep thinking if I was on the street I would get arrested for robbery, but education is expensive and goodness knows I payed my tuition many years ago. I hope this fad never stops. Joe

Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I'm a tax dispute lawyer in Vancouver, B.C.

Max

Old 04-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Joe, I'm an ex-Navy nuke NEC3387. I know that most people in the civil field are ex-Navy and hated almost everyone I worked with, thus I enver pursued it once I got out. The only way I'd ever go back is a REM eatter at a clean up.

Jay

Old 04-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Oddly enough, I pay the mortgage by helping other people get a mortgage. Any board members in California that need to refi, purchase or just want to ask a question, are always welcome to contact me.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I'm a composer of music for television and film.