NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2021, 08:15 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Who was the young pitcher for the Florida Marlins that died in a boat crash? I think he is a prime example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tim Crews and Steve Olin.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Who was the young pitcher for the Florida Marlins that died in a boat crash? I think he is a prime example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Jose Fernandez.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Not before Freehan.... and probably not at all.
I think that's right, although I wouldn't mind seeing him in either.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:51 PM
J.O.N

Injury can be tricky.

I think of guys like Doug Dravecky losing an arm. That didn’t seem to help him in the long term. Maybe it did in some odd way. Some may remember him just because if that injury.

Roy Campanella gained much publicity and increased in fame due to being paralyzed I think . He was a much better player.

I think the teams market and the talent of the player that makes the most impact.

Death:

I always think of Clemente and Munson. Both are immortalized partly because of their early deaths but also because of talent.

You see many players die too young. Most slip into history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:17 PM

Default It Helps

[QUOTE=Jcfowler6;2139372]Injury can be tricky.

I think of guys like Doug Dravecky losing an arm. That didn’t seem to help him in the long term. Maybe it did in some odd way. Some may remember him just because if that injury.

..it helps if , when you lose your leg in a hunting accident , they get Jimmy Stewart to play you in a movie....for you youngsters out there , this is Monty Stratton....

Old 08-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Kenny Hubbs died young back in the ‘60’s. Way too soon, just a shocker to me as a ten year old kid. Made no sense then, today I feel the same.
...whatever I want
Old 08-29-2021, 10:24 AM
James M.

I think the best example would be Fernandez, though Pitchers careers are defintely the trickiest. If you asked me 10 Years ago, which young Pitcher I thought would end up in the Hall, I would've said Lincecum, who rattled off two Cy Young's in his first three seasons.

Death of someone young is almost always tragic, never mind the sports impact, they had they're entire lives in front of them and then were robbed by either tragic accident or tragic illness.

Even the Players that had long, storied, careers only to die near the end or just after the end of them is terrible. Mathewson, and Gehrig come to mind in this case for baseball, a more recent example would be Kobe Bryant.

Mathewson was a young man when he died, just 45 years old, had so much more of life ahead of him. Gehrig's tragic health not only derailed his career but robbed him of his life. Both extremely successful in their given careers and both taken from this earth way too soon.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:31 AM
Michael

In terns of injuries, I think Mattingly's back issues hurt both his HOF chances and his card prices. At one point, his rookie card was the hottest thing in the hobby. And I never understood why Puckett was a first ballot HOFer and the most votes Mattingly ever received was 28%. I'll give Puckett a slight edge because he put up his stats as a centerfielder and was a major contributor to two World Series winning teams (and had a higher WAR if you care about that kind of thing 51.1 to 42.4). But the difference in them as players is not that great that one should be first ballot and the other not get close.

Interestingly, Mattingly is the most similar player to Puckett.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puckett mattingly.JPG (29.5 KB, 217 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 08-29-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think the best example would be Fernandez, though Pitchers careers are defintely the trickiest. If you asked me 10 Years ago, which young Pitcher I thought would end up in the Hall, I would've said Lincecum, who rattled off two Cy Young's in his first three seasons.

Death of someone young is almost always tragic, never mind the sports impact, they had they're entire lives in front of them and then were robbed by either tragic accident or tragic illness.

Even the Players that had long, storied, careers only to die near the end or just after the end of them is terrible. Mathewson, and Gehrig come to mind in this case for baseball, a more recent example would be Kobe Bryant.

Mathewson was a young man when he died, just 45 years old, had so much more of life ahead of him. Gehrig's tragic health not only derailed his career but robbed him of his life. Both extremely successful in their given careers and both taken from this earth way too soon.
Ruth was 53.
Kirby Puckett was 46.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-29-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:09 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Agreed. 5 years ago I would have argued Clayton Kershaw's trajectory was to be in the argument for greatest pitcher of all time. If he had aged like Scherzer or Verlander I think it becomes very difficult to argue against the idea. Because he's been fragile (though still pretty good when he takes the mound) I don't think he will enter the discussion for GOAT even though he may be the modern ERA leader when he retires while having pitched in one of the greatest hitter eras ever.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-29-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
In terns of injuries, I think Mattingly's back issues hurt both his HOF chances and his card prices. At one point, his rookie card was the hottest thing in the hobby. And I never understood why Puckett was a first ballot HOFer and the most votes Mattingly ever received was 28%.
Almost as crazy as Trammell making the HOF and Whitaker falling off the ballot in his first vote. Wait, nothing is that crazy.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Dave

Ok, taking the question seriously. Using Zion as an example, I would assume it would have to be a younger athlete who had shown a lot of potential, accomplished a bit, but wasn't quite considered in his prime when he passed away.

There's so many factors to go into it, it's very hard to quantify. Even something like the circumstances of his death, could come into play where value is concerned. (ie. Pat Tillman).

Zion's cards are already priced based on his massive potential. I think in his case his cards crater within a year (unless it's an autograph issue), and then slowly start regaining their value as nostalgia and myth-making build on his legacy and potential.

In basketball, the only two examples that quickly come to my mind are two Celtics. Reggie Lewis and Len Bias.

Reggie was a very good player, but not a higher level superstar. He was pretty much what he was going to be when he passed at age 27. His cards are priced as such. Not a lot of premium there, from what I can see. Maybe a little bit, based on his untimely passing.

I don't think Len Bias had any contemporary card issues, but based on the prices of some of his memorabilia, he has built quite a following despite never playing an NBA game. He was a high, #2 overall pick, and considered by many to be the top guy in what became a historically weak draft year (at least in the 1st round. 2nd round had lots of gems). He was supposed to be the Celtics.......and the NBA's next superstar. If he had 1 or 2 cards come out, I'd guess they'd be doing fairly well right now.

In my field of boxing, the first two that come to mind are Les Darcy and Salvador Sanchez. Sanchez passed at 23 but was already a dominant Champion, and considered an All-Timer today, even with the very short career. His stuff has always commanded a premium.

Les Darcy was an Australian fighter who died at 21 and flashed a lot of potential against several top American fighters who fought him in his home country. He came to the United Stated in 1916-17 or so, in order to build up his name, and got sick and died before he could ever fight again.

He's always had a fairly strong following, but not nearly that of somebody like Sanchez, who had the chance to prove himself a bit more, before his untimely death.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:49 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I think the OP didn't word the whole thing properly and that's what got him into trouble at first. But yeah, I understand what you're asking.

In the hockey world, Connor McDavid is the greatest. I've seen people pay $50,000 USD for his rookie card, and I often wonder what would happen to his card prices if he suffered a career-ending injury or something like that. He has suffered some pretty nasty injuries in the past, but recovered from them. It's pretty scary stuff. Here is one below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bni6...nnel=SPORTSNET
Old 08-29-2021, 11:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hank Gathers, another BKB example.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:05 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I haven't seen Tony Conigliaro mentioned yet. He tore it up for three years, then was beaned and was never the same. Then he had a heart attack at 37 and went into a nursing home before dying a few years later. His signed cards usually do very well.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I haven't seen Tony Conigliaro mentioned yet. He tore it up for three years, then was beaned and was never the same. Then he had a heart attack at 37 and went into a nursing home before dying a few years later. His signed cards usually do very well.
Two years after the beaning, he hit 36 HR and drove in 116.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:11 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Two years after the beaning, he hit 36 HR and drove in 116.
Other than a brief stint with the Red Sox in 1975, he was out of the league by 26.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Other than a brief stint with the Red Sox in 1975, he was out of the league by 26.
Yes but not sure the beaning is really the explanation. His best season was subsequent to the beaning.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Al

Lots of good examples here, but from a purely hobby perspective, I just keep going back to Brien Taylor and Todd Van Poppel, whose card prices rose to then-astronomical levels based on their promise, but who never had their promise materialize, for a variety of reasons.

As a young kid, we chased rookie cards from Bob Horner and Willie Wilson for similar reasons, with similar results.

Also, John is as nice a man as there is in the hobby, and if I had a dollar for each time I worded something awkwardly, I could quit my day job.

-Al
Old 08-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Len bias would be a great comp. unfortunately, no cards to compare. His photos are pretty rare and costly though.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 08-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Lots of good examples here, but from a purely hobby perspective, I just keep going back to Brien Taylor and Todd Van Poppel, whose card prices rose to then-astronomical levels based on their promise, but who never had their promise materialize, for a variety of reasons.

As a young kid, we chased rookie cards from Bob Horner and Willie Wilson for similar reasons, with similar results.

Also, John is as nice a man as there is in the hobby, and if I had a dollar for each time I worded something awkwardly, I could quit my day job.

-Al
In that same timeframe I recall Phil Plantier temporarily generating a lot of interest.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:34 PM
Bob C.

What about Brian Piccolo?
Old 08-29-2021, 01:13 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In that same timeframe I recall Phil Plantier temporarily generating a lot of interest.
The king of hype for me as a teenager in the late '80's was Greg Jeffries '88 RC with the Mets. His rookie card at the time was going for more than Yaz's rookie card. I remember arguing with a friend how illogical that was. Even if everything broke right for Jeffries, could he possibly have had a higher career ceiling than Yaz?
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.

Last edited by wolf441; 08-29-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:16 PM
Bob C.

And speaking of lost potential, there's also Ernie Davis.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:16 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Geez Louise guys. I don't think the OP wants anyone to die. He maybe could has stated it a little more eloquently, I'll admit that. But I think it is an interesting topic.. a young rising star as hyped as a Zion. What would happen to his prices, god forbid something happened to him. Pretty morbid but an interesting thought experiment.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:41 PM
Dave

Here's a thought experiment.

Bo Jackson

Remarkable hype, remarkable talent.

There's been a healthy resurgence in Bo cards and memorabilia the last couple years or so, as nostalgia and myth-making have kicked in.

For a couple decades however, you could have picked up all the early era Bo cards (Baseball and Football) you wanted, for very little investment. He had been essentially written off as a novelty by collectors.

Now, go back to 1990 or so. What if instead of dislocating his hip in a playoff game at the end of the football season, he had died in a plane crash or other incident, and we never saw his painful decent into irrelevancy on the baseball field?

He'd be a real life Roy Hobbs, without the comeback. The stories people would tell would be remarkable. His cards probably would be in the stratosphere right now.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:19 PM
Eric Perry

Imagine if an arm injury didn’t prematurely end the career of Nolan Ryan. He only gave us 27 seasons; however, they sure were something to watch.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-29-2021, 02:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not that anyone collects him but
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prefontaine.jpg (78.3 KB, 135 views)

Old 08-29-2021, 04:57 PM

This is a deeper cut than most mentioned but if there are any Mets fans on the board you might remember the name Brian Cole. He died in a car accident at the age of 22. He was the number 64 prospect in all of baseball heading into 2001.

This is the line from his last season between A and AA:

137 games, 19 homers, 86 rbi's, 69 SB, 301 average.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:28 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Oscar Taveras died at age 22. He was supposed to be the Cardinals right fielder for many years.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...averos01.shtml
Old 08-29-2021, 06:22 PM
Frank Wakefield

True about Taveras. In spring training / minors George Kissell worked with him and expected a long Cardinal career... word was that when Tavaras' bat met a pitched ball that there was that rifle crack sound that rarely we hear and associate with other players. It reminded me of the sound of a ball off of the bat of Jack Clark, with that long level swing instead of the upper cut crack. When McGwire hit batting practice, players of both teams stopped and watched.

McCovey had that aura, at times, he could swing the bat hard. Eric Davis hit a ball hard like that. George Foster did. I saw Mays, Aaron, Bench, Yaz, Mantle... they had the attention of those present because of who they were, and not just because of the sound of the ball off the bat. Mentioning Mantle reminds me of Maris, he could hit a ball hard. Anyway, the sound of the ball off of Oscar Tavares' bat was different from others...

But what really needs to be said is that I think it's time this thread was put to rest.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Brendan Mullen

I didn’t think Yoda’s OP was a death wish for Zion, just a less than woke example.

People are so soft nowadays…