NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Does this even exist?

Posted By: James Gallo

Does this card even exist?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1916-H8O1-9-GLOBE-TY-COBB-SHOELESS-JOE-JACKSON_W0QQitemZ250301241606QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem250301241606&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have never heard of such a card, and the image is a common photo that is reprinted all the time, so I wondered if this was a custom home made card.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

can't call it a reprint, since nothing like that ever existed to begin with.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Known as a fantasy card: modern made-up card, often related to a known set or card brand. Ala a 1954 Topps Mickey Mantle, when Mantle wasn't in that set. Many forgeries are fantasy cards. This is why a beginner, or not so begginner, should have a Standard Catalog: to check if a card exists before purchase. As funny as it sounds, that's what buying a forgery often means: buying something that doesn't exist. That you receive in the mail the thing that doesn't exist and display it on your desk makes it that much more surreal.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richie

Just as this card is a so called "fantasy card". I think the same as the Tango eggs. I honestly dont think these ever existed. If they did truly exist how were they distibuted. I never seen a so called egg carton from the company. Or any other signs of this company existing. Just that they were found 60 somewaht years later. Kind of hard top beleive. IMO Richie

Old 09-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

With all due respect that sounds crazy. Those cards on ebay are idiotic looking. They are extemely fake. The Tango's have been authenticated by every major grading company, and expert, multiple times. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Many more things to worry about in the hobby than an advertised reprint that happens to be faked.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Leon ,In no way am i comparing them. I just dont understand after all of these years Tango cards all of a sudden appeared. I never seen advertisement of the company. I never seen egg cartons from company, displays. I know i am wrong about it. In catalog they have Ty cobb listed with no price and it says none confirmed. My question is how do they know it exists with no card be confirmed of anybody having. I personelly own a hugie Jenning graded by Beckett. I know i have one of the common ones. Just my opinion

Old 09-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

A little research...

L. Frank and Company was established in 1892 in New Orleans and operated at least until 1997. They are famous in the south for American Beauty Eggs and the motto "Everybody Loves a Good Egg."

It is not unreasonable that they produced a line of "tango" eggs that included cards. More than likely the cards were given to shop keepers who passed them out to customers.

The paper, ink, images, and company all point to an original issue.

As to finding them some 65 years later...I have no problem with that. There are some issues (including Pirate, Fan, etc.) that were found decades after the original release date.

There are many issues that method of distribution is unknown.

Joshua

Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I didn't mean to come across so harsh. I do think comparing the Tango's to blatant fake fantasy cards is not a good comparison. I have a Hughie too but since I just acquired a small group I am sure that will change....While I understand your reasoning I, like Joshua, have seen a lot of unknown things become known. I think there are plenty left to be found too....take care

Old 09-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Leon, You were not harsh at all. I love this forum.You do an awesome job. I am rather new in the hobby. i am learning a ton. I been buying lots of cards off of Matt W building up my collection. He also is very helpful to me. I am glad i read this site. Have great week. Richie

Old 09-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

The Tango Egg topic is better served in a different thread. We are talking apples and oranges comparing Tangos to fake reprints.

That said, the questions Richie posed are very interesting. My opinion is the Tangos are period, but were they ever distributed? I should stop now, as I am going against my own recommendation (of a different thread)....