NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Default 52t for yellow geeks only

In light of the recent thread for gray geeks only, I thought I would ask peoples opinion on the Frank House Yellow Tiger card. While it has certainly caught on as a variation, it is certainly puzzling to me how the printing anomaly occurred. I will be following up with a few pics, and comments

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 07-14-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

This isn't the great example of the missing yellow with green throat.

In fact I only held onto it because it seems to be one of the LEAST examples missing red around his throat area. On close inspection, you can see the red pixels are missing from areas around his neck and tiger.

HOWEVER, the other House card has NO red missing and a yellow tiger

were there two different versions early on?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Al Richter

Default House

Ted--I have only 3 versions of this card, none are grey backs. One is bright orange, one is all yellow like the one you posted and one has a reddish tongue and the overall color is between orange and yellow ( a transition version ?)

I have never been sure if they are recurring print defects or there was some intentional change to the card. I was surprised when the "variation" showed up on gray backs as well as white, and I think someone indicated it appears on both types of the grey back fronts. I think someone also indicated that if the different fronts and backs are considered you would need a small boat full to have all the possible variants.

Also, I wonder if some of the versions that show up these days result from sun or light fading, either in general or selectively applied. Maybe the print experts can weigh in on that

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:59 PM

I believe there are a lot more variations in the '52 set than most collectors realize.

Let me look through my Houses....I think I have 2 yellow variations but no gray backs.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 07-14-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The missing red, amd partial red with the greenish throat is 100% missing the red layer. Under 10x loupe it is evident over the tiger and in his throat.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:24 PM

Ted,

Here is one my yellow House variations. I think - and have seen other examples - where there are missing colors on only part of the card. Unsure how this happens but the yellow House is one of the more well known examples.

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps House Yellow Variation PSA 5.5 Reduced.jpg (69.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Yes many have color missing in that part of the card, however the above I had posted in the left doesn't not have any other missing ink.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Getting back to the original question; does anyone have a theory as to how these color " variations" could have happened?

The two gray backs that I have seen with yellow logo have almost pure yellow with a full-color neck. The redish-orangish "transition" cards and the green-neck cards seem to be limited to the cream back. However the gray/yellow is a VERY small sample.

So, does that mean that the gray stock was used at a time when the ink situation was stable? And how could the red be depleted in the logo, but not the neck?

I really don't understand the actual printing works.

Bill
Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM

Given Ted's example above it almost looks like the green throat version has a thumb print size area where the red ink did not stick.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Al Richter

Can you imagine what the Topps employees who produced this set and other early sets would think about threads like this and the never ending variants thread.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Can you imagine what the Topps employees who produced this set and other early sets would think about threads like this and the never ending variants thread.
I'm not sure if this has been noted before but in my search for a Larry Jansen card, I have noticed this print line on some of his cards. (Bottom left, in the border, just below his wrist)
This one also has a dot/spot/print mark above it but most that I have seen with this line don't have that spot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-L...25.m3641.l6368
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-Topps-5-...pf5Tx19OF4Wy1g
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-Topps-5-...AAAOSwax5Y0HWT

Last edited by irv; 07-21-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
It's funny, I was thinking much the same thing....with only Sy Berger sitting around his kitchen table constructing the layout wondering how he can cause unending speculation on how variations were created.

I think there is something to the previous threads as well as this one in terms of the initial production and how at least some of the variations came about.

Z
Old 07-21-2017, 02:49 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Can you imagine if they had today's technology back then?? With such simple layouts, it would have been a snap to make everything 'perfect.' Case in point, once they laid out the logo for a particular team, all they would have to do to assure absolute consistency is copy and paste it to every other card that showed a player from said team. (And, yes, contrarians, I know it's not quite that simple, but I am just making a general point. )

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Can you imagine if they had today's technology back then?? With such simple layouts, it would have been a snap to make everything 'perfect.' Case in point, once they laid out the logo for a particular team, all they would have to do to assure absolute consistency is copy and paste it to every other card that showed a player from said team. (And, yes, contrarians, I know it's not quite that simple, but I am just making a general point. )
Even back then it was almost that simple. But .....Topps.....
Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Even back then it was almost that simple. But .....Topps.....
Well Darren actually has a good point as the majority of miscuts occurred in the 2nd & 3rd series of Topps attempt to go big time with the '52 set. I believe this was due to the hurried nature of creating these series which resulted in misaligned cards and consequently miscutting them. Coincidentally - the 3rd series is where many of the variations occur.

Z