NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Mark Rios

Wow!

Congrats
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
There's your jersey and look who it's rubbing against.

Rob M

Attachment 276987
They were actually really good friends, being a double play combo and those Germans stuck together

Honus Wagner was in that house pictured above numerous times I'm told, both during the off-season and when they played at the Polo Grounds. They also have postcards sent from Wagner to that house. Not sure how many, but I told them they could be worth a small fortune depending on content and the signature.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Congrats John!

Congrats John!

Glad you were able to acquire this awesome uniform!

Patrick
Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Incredible score. Great thread to read and congrats.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I usually don't hang out in pre-war, but your post caught my attention. What a terrific item to be able to acquire!

Have you looked into how to preserve the uniform? Maybe others here could offer insight to help you out!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I admit that I thought the 1887 Kalamazoo Bats Pittsburgh team card WAS my holy grail until I knew this following item existed. Even when I found out about it, I didn't think I'd be able to purchase it because it's been in the family since day one. I'm from Kearny, NJ, birthplace of Dots Miller, who shares six of the same relatives with me, though we are not related. I'm a huge Pirates fan since I was five and now get to cover the Pirates for a living. So what you see here is the 1909 Dots Miller Pirates jersey and pants, which I believe were World Series worn because I have an old article saying he saved everything from the Series. I was able to purchase them today.
Stuff like this strengthens my faith in the hobby. When an item (card, bat, uniform, whatever) winds up in the hands of a family member, it makes me feel all is right (at least temporarily, anyway) in the universe.

Hearty congratulations!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Kyle May

Absolutely amazing. Congratulations!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-17-2017, 10:02 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default wow

John,

This is about as good as it gets.

Congrats!

Mark L

p.s. love your tweets about Pirates history.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I admit that I thought the 1887 Kalamazoo Bats Pittsburgh team card WAS my holy grail until I knew this following item existed. Even when I found out about it, I didn't think I'd be able to purchase it because it's been in the family since day one. I'm from Kearny, NJ, birthplace of Dots Miller, who shares six of the same relatives with me, though we are not related. I'm a huge Pirates fan since I was five and now get to cover the Pirates for a living. So what you see here is the 1909 Dots Miller Pirates jersey and pants, which I believe were World Series worn because I have an old article saying he saved everything from the Series. I was able to purchase them today.
Congrats! In case you're up for it Huggins & Scott has the Kalamazoo Pittsburgh team card in our August auction.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 PM

So, this thread led me to the question - why "Dots"?

From Wiki -

Reportedly, he got the nickname "Dots" after someone asked Miller's thick-accented teammate Honus Wagner where they could find John Miller. Wagner pointed to Miller and replied, "Dots (That's) Miller."

Rob M
Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
So, this thread led me to the question - why "Dots"?

From Wiki -

Reportedly, he got the nickname "Dots" after someone asked Miller's thick-accented teammate Honus Wagner where they could find John Miller. Wagner pointed to Miller and replied, "Dots (That's) Miller."

Rob M
You should have searched this site http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=199041
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You should have searched this site http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=199041
Lol, but Wiki is NEVER wrong!

Rob M
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM
C@rl P@rk

Stunning! Congrats and glad it didn't get lost at the Kearny sorting center.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Stunning! Congrats and glad it didn't get lost at the Kearny sorting center.

That's funny you say that because I always like when I see my items go there first and everyone else hates it. I bought a Dots Miller Helmar stamp off of a board member earlier this year and it was taking a little long to get here. When I checked, it was in Kearny. I couldn't hate that.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
That's funny you say that because I always like when I see my items go there first and everyone else hates it. I bought a Dots Miller Helmar stamp off of a board member earlier this year and it was taking a little long to get here. When I checked, it was in Kearny. I couldn't hate that.
Haha. Usually it's not a problem but some items go on vacation there for a week or so. I guess if it's a Dots item, it's just a little hometown visit.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Rob

Fantastic item! Congrats!

Now, you just need to spend several thousand more dollars for a suitable display.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Richard A.

Wow, John. That is an INCREDIBLE pick-up. Congrats!!

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Dustin Bellinger

My sincerest congratulations. That is an incredible item!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:57 PM
J.O.N

I dribbled a little.

Amazing item.

That uniform has me in awe. My main focus is the 1909 Pirates and it doesn't get much better than that. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Scott M.

Congratulations John, I'm speechless.

It can't get better than that as a centerpiece to your collection!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 PM

So sick. Congrats.

Is there a proper way to store- In a sealed bag, etc?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
So sick. Congrats.

Is there a proper way to store- In a sealed bag, etc?
I haven't figured out yet how I'm going store/display it, but I've been asking around, gathering ideas.

I'll take better pictures of the jersey sometime soon. The poor pants get no love

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I truly meant it when I said I'm not sure what could top that particular jersey for me. The year/player/team with that iconic PBC symbol. Of course Wagner, Clarke or Willis would be more valuable if they existed, but I'd still take Miller because of the family/birthplace connection.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM

I'd focus on preservation, rather than display. IMO, it's better to keep it properly stored, and occasionally bring out to show off...I personally wouldn't have it framed or displayed, honestly. Keep out of light, etc.

Question- I know it's sacrilegious to clean game worn jerseys, so I'm NOT saying to clean it...BUT, in the game worn uniform collecting arena, are there acceptable ways to LIGHTLY "clean" a bit, without damaging value or use?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:29 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

My recommendation, unsolicited of course, would be to get a mannequin and dress that thing up with the uniform. I'd take pictures with a great camera and lighting...then frame those up with some other period pieces (think baseball cards, photos and other related items. Then preserve that sucker like you would a wedding dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Clint

Might try contacting the Hall of Fame and see what the do for their jerseys. Whatever you do let us see the final result.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I'd focus on preservation, rather than display. IMO, it's better to keep it properly stored, and occasionally bring out to show off...I personally wouldn't have it framed or displayed, honestly. Keep out of light, etc.

Question- I know it's sacrilegious to clean game worn jerseys, so I'm NOT saying to clean it...BUT, in the game worn uniform collecting arena, are there acceptable ways to LIGHTLY "clean" a bit, without damaging value or use?
Agreed. The hof acfually sends their jerseys out to have cleaned as the dirt and debris breaks down the fibers. They then keep them in archival boxes(acid free) and wrap them in acid free archival paper. Handling is also important(how you fold and pick up).

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-13-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Dots

Great Item John. Congrats on such a fabulous find.
Hope to meet up with you again soon and talk baseball.
Best Regards
John P
Old 07-13-2017, 05:21 PM

With regard to questions about storage or display, I recommend you contact Dave Grob, a poster here whose ID is his name. I haven't read through this entire thread, so I'm not sure if he has already replied. The one piece of advice I would give is to not frame it in the traditional sense -- sandwiched between glass and a backing of some sort. I don't recommend entombing game worn jerseys in that way, losing the 3D nature of the item, losing view of a lot of the jersey, losing any feel of the jersey, and damaging the jersey through creasing. If you want to use a frame of sorts, I'd recommend a frame that is basically a box with a glass door that allows the jersey to hang and be removed whenever you want. I believe those are available for game worn jersey display, but I'd think you may want one custom made so the look is appropriate to the era. Of course, using a hanger may be a bad idea for a jersey this old so I'd defer to the game worn jersey preservation experts on that.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:07 PM

Default Beautiful

What a beautiful piece of history! I really dig the interlocking red and blue letters on the sleeve that you see in so many caramel cards circa 1910.
I know I'm a month late on posting, but again congrats!
Tim Kindler
Old 07-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Pete Costanzo

Wow, fantastic to see, especially being a Buccos fan too. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Very cool piece!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Marty H.

Unbelievable. Congrats John. Definite Holy Grail.