NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2011, 04:20 AM

Default Earthquake/?Tsunami

I am waking up to news of a huge earthquake in Japan. There is warning for US West Coast and Hawaii about a possible Tsunami hitting.

To all those potentially affected(or already affected), may they be safe including our Net 54 members who live in these areas. Also everyone that is affected by this. May God protect you.

Frank
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Bill Hedin

Default god be with you

Way you all be safe and out of harms way.
Al are in my prayers,
Bill Hedin
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Barry Sloate

It registered an 8.9 which would make it one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded. The initial casualty report was small so I assume it was not in a populated area.

Last edited by barrysloate; 03-11-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 AM
TT40391

Default Terrible

Terrible news this morning. I don't know other board members besides David and Frank that are in Hawaii but my thoughts and prayers are with them, and all those affected by this.

Tony Turner
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It registered an 8.9 which would make it one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded. The initial casualty report was small so I assume it was not in a populated area.
Everywhere in Japan is highly populated. There are going to be a heckuvalotta deaths.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Daryl

May God protect the West Coast and Hawaii, and may He comfort and mend the people of Nihongo.

Psalm 42:7
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Barry Sloate

You're right Eric. I heard a report very early this morning but more information is of course coming in. Very sad and it will affect people all around the world.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM

It seems like I read a post in which David said he was leaving Hawaii for the mainland (for good) so he may already be gone? If not, hunker down my friend and I hope you will be ok.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 AM

There were evacuations in Washington State near where I live. Though I'm unaffected as I don't live on the coast.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT40391 View Post
Terrible news this morning. I don't know other board members besides David and Frank that are in Hawaii but my thoughts and prayers are with them, and all those affected by this.

Tony Turner
Aloha to all. Everything seems peacefull here on the big island. I'm at 500 ft elevation and 3 1/2 miles from the ocean. Frank is upcountry from me. I have felt some big tremblers and last p.m. at 11 we had a 4. quake. No injuries that I have heard of and very little surge. Our volcano continues to go off. My concern goes to those in Japan. Mahalo for yours, David.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Barry Arnold

Default natural disaster/tragedy

my prayers do go out to everyone affected by this terror.
i grew up as a young boy in Tokyo and send my thoughts and prayers to
everyone there--- in this moment.
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 03-11-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Jim

Default Double Whammy

My heart goes out to the people affected by this earthquake and tsunami. as a small twist, living at about 15 ft above sea level it was kind of interesting to be woken up by the fire department around 4:30 am kindly informing us to "get the hell out". As it turned out all is well here at Coos Bay.. I don't know why but all I grabbed was clothes, food, camping gear and you guessed it my beloved cards
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 AM

I'm still waiting to hear from my relatives. Most live near Tokyo so they should be okay. I do have one relative living an hour south of Sendai though. My hometown of Yokosuka is south of Tokyo..they had some damage and lots of shaking and also had tsunami evacuation order as its a port city. The US Navy is stationed there and they reported that the USS Carrier George Washington which is over 1000 feet long and over 40000 tons moved off the pier due to the waves. The water had receded 6 feet at the pier. And closer to my current home...Santa Cruz just over the mountain had some boats damaged by the tsunami and up north near the Oregon border in Crescent City the entire pier got wiped out...just like it did back in the 64 Alaskan quake.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Jim D

I have 4 friends in Japan and all are ok. I even have one on the forces base in yokosuka. Lots of rumbling, but no water where they were!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Edward F.

My family and I were visiting Tokyo DisneyLand when the Earthquake happened. We were about to get on a ride. I have never felt the ground move so violently as it did that day. We are from a city in the South of Japan. We got back late last night. I am very thankful that I am home safe.