NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Mike H.

Default Your Net54 Memorabilia Board Wish list for 2011

I was considering what I would like to see on the board for 2011 today, and assume others might as well. Let's see what we can come up with.

1. Add ebay I.D. to profile info.

2. Create a new section for the never ending stream of threads on fake autographs on ebay and C.C. I get soooo tired of seeing thread after thread calling attention to bad autographs. We all know Coach's Corner is crap and ebay has 100s of fakes at any given moment so give it a rest already.

3. Have monthly show and tell features on types of memorabilia being collected i.e., pinbacks, programs, pennants, trophies, photos, etc. Or perhaps a quarterly feature on hobby rooms and displays.

What do you all think?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
2. I get soooo tired of seeing thread after thread calling attention to bad autographs. We all know Coach's Corner is crap and ebay has 100s of fakes at any given moment so give it a rest already.
+ 1 zillion
Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Fake Autographs

I, for one, will never "give it a rest." The sellers of forgeries whether they be sellers on Ebay or Coach's Commode deserve all of the attention we can give them. If Leon would like to create a new section just for the subject of forgeries I would be all for it.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
John €ffenheim

How about a Net54 show/swap meet.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

fewer wish lists
Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
+ 1 zillion
+ 2

Agree with all the other posters that people on this memorabilia forum understand the problems with autographs on ebay, and don't need every Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle fake autograph pointed out.
Would also agree that it's important to stay on top of this stuff and there probably is a forum out there somewhere where these types of postings are appropriate.

Greg
Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Firstly...I love this site. Its my favorite site on the web. I get to read all of the conversationsabout tons of topics. Some that relate to me, and some that dont. But it is nice that there are so many knowledgeable people on this site to ask questions and know that I am going to get an honest, "authentic" answer. And I try to take in all of your info that I read and use it myself, so not only kudos to the site creator/admin, but kudos to all of you Baseball Guys as well
Secondly, I dont mind that there are all of the "fakes" threads, because they are helping out guys/girls like myself who may not know enough about the signature or item as a seasoned collector like yourselves would. But putting those topics in a spererate section would be a good idea too.
I also like the "swap/trade/show" section Idea, but thats still kind of like the BUY/SELL/TRADE section anyway, so why not monthly themed shows, or trades. One month show and trade ball gloves, the next signs, the next balls, the next pins, or mugs, or anything really. That might cut down on all of the congested sections of B/S/T
But really, I dont see how you could make this place any better than it already is. Just my opinion...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Default Fewer wish lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
fewer wish lists
Steve,
Ha! Ha! I love the dry sarcasm. You're a funny guy!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Mike H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
fewer wish lists
That was funny
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default A Thread Just for Research

It would be great to have a thread just for researching Items
Old 12-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Graig Kreindler

I agree with Dynarl, I think that would be tops! Or, Topps!

(sorry)

Old 12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default overcrowded?

First of all, as we all know, the memorabilia section is a relatively new (maybe a few years) feature for Net54baseball.com. I have always had the mantra, and probably always will, that anything and everything can be suggested, debated, and hashed out. Generally speaking the masses win out on stuff. If ya'll remember correctly when this section was formed I had said I would be mainly hands off. You guys know what you want and how to do it. Ya'll said you wanted a BST thread....viola ....there are BST threads. You had said a separate forum would be good, so we did that. I am open to just about anything. That being said I don't really think that there are too many threads on forgeries. Heck, the most threads I ever see in one day, being talked about, is around 10, or so. Usually it's not that many. It really doesn't matter to me, you guys decide. I sure wouldn't stop anyone from starting a thread, unless it got really crazy and we were literally over run by them. I don't see that being the case as of now. As I say, doesn't matter to me. I doubt there will be a section for them as we already have a section about alterations and reprints, albeit mainly for cards. If ya'll want to send some stuff to put in there, for fake auto's, send them to me. I will get them added. We can only have so many sections in the space we have. Our poor techy guy(s) need a rest .

To specifically answer the original poster's questions.

1. We already have a links section and community section where Ebay ID's can be added and seen. You would have to send me the info and I can get it added. Otherwise, your sig line can have that kind of info too.

2. Already discussed the section needed for fake autos etc.....honestly don't see the need, with less than 10 new threads a day, but am open to keep discussing.

3. You guys already have threads for show and tell of all kinds of stuff. Even I play in those. They are fun!!

Good thread and thoughts......I love discussing how to make the board better. At the same time I think what we have works fairly well. This new s/w is 1000x better than the old Network54 s/w, imho. regards
Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 PM
John

Default New category...

Fakes, Forgeries & Fraud
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Bob Pomilla

nm

Last edited by brickyardkennedy; 12-22-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I get soooo tired of seeing thread after thread calling attention to bad autographs. We all know Coach's Corner is crap and ebay has 100s of fakes at any given moment so give it a rest already.

you know if these threads don't interest you, you don't have to click on them

Like someone else mentioned, the memorabilia side is already very slow as it is. Sometimes only 4 or 5 threads are bumped up in a couple days. You take away the forgery and fraud threads and the memorabilia side is even deader. Some of us do find these threads interesting you know.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
you know if these threads don't interest you, you don't have to click on them

Like someone else mentioned, the memorabilia side is already very slow as it is. Sometimes only 4 or 5 threads are bumped up in a couple days. You take away the forgery and fraud threads and the memorabilia side is even deader. Some of us do find these threads interesting you know.
Aside from just being interesting, some of them are educational.

I am smart enough to know that I know very little, but as a result of some of these threads I now know more than I used to.

I may not be able to tell if some autographs are good, but from what has been shared here I have learned to identify some as being bad.

As the hobby has evolved and grown, so has its dark side, and the need to stay current with what is going on, both the good and the bad.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Mike H.

Wow! I didn't anticipate emotional responses to my post. My intention was idea generation not drama, but can see my 2nd point was a bit inflammatory. It's nice to see folks are passionate about our hobby.

Ok...everyone take a deep cleansing breath and focus on ideas.

I'll going to take upon myself to initiate a bit more this year, and make a real effort to start threads that others might find interesting and fun.

Here are some potential thread topics.
-What do you consider yourself an expert in (might be a handy directory for questions we each have)?
-What niche of collecting would you like to learn more about?
-Feature a collection.
-Resource Library, list the books and guides you value or use the most (there may be some we don't all know about).
Old 12-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Chuck Tapia

I think you all know that I personally love the stories on forgeries and fakes. There are not enough in my opinion. The more that is written, the more these forums show up in searches, so maybe more people searching for the truth about forgeries will find a link to the boards like I did a couple of years ago.

Where else can you have instant access to some of the most knowledgeable collectors and professionals in the industry? Thanks for the great site Leon.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Mike H.

[QUOTE=Fuddjcal;857531]I think you all know that I personally love the stories on forgeries and fakes. There are not enough in my opinion. The more that is written, the more these forums show up in searches, so maybe more people searching for the truth about forgeries will find a link to the boards like I did a couple of years ago.

Excellent point
Old 12-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Jim D

I agree, i love the fakes and such thread... they have taught me a lot in the one year i have been on this board.

My one hope more then anything for the coming year, has nothing to do with this thread, and that is A job. Sorry for being personal but after one year of unemployment, i'm hoping some company takes a chance, lets me show what i can do, and gives me purpose again.

Happy holidays all!

Jim Drysdale

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!