NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions re: Expensive T206 eBay Purchase

Posted By: Cobby33

All:
Having about 1000 feedback on eBay, I haven't encountered a situation wherein I purchased a high-end card from someone with low (about 40) feedback. The feedback is all positive, but nothing current.
I've emailed the seller several times, who is very responsive and courteous, but who wants a cashier's check versus Paypal (understandably).
Any way to ensure the transaction will be positive?
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ernest reyes

I once purchased a group of gold bullion coins on ebay about 7 years ago with a seller with low feedback. I suggested we use an escrow company endoresed by ebay and I offered to pay all escrow fees. Seller was more than happy to agree since its cost him nothing.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...talking about the Magie card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8762634662&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

All of the feedback was way too old for me to be credible. It's too easy to hijack old accounts with no recent activity. That is why I stayed away. (Also, I don't have $3,000 to burn.) I would be wary of any payment plan that didn't protect me.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

And this was just a punk kid!..

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/116270/65/

Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

I would not follow through with payment for that McGee unless you can arrange a local pickup for the card. Most plane tickets are under $300, offer to pay his airfare and for the card in cash when he delivers it to a bank of your choosing. Don't pay via PayPal either, they will not protect you.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i would speak to the person on the phone. ask as many questions as possible without being rude. where did the card come from, etc.
if the seller is not local, i would consider traveling to pick the card up.
requesting the seller to fly to deliver your card is not going to happen.
if the seller is real and the card is real, you should know it from a phone call.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

OK, well the seller has refused to use an escrow co. and has refused to have a messenger make an exchange (cash for card). I suppose I should have gone over these details before bidding, but never have I been hung up on rather elementary logistics.

Further, the seller has refused to reveal a work email address or other email other than a "Yahoo" address and has refused any other "identifying" information, other than a cell phone #. (He seemed OK on the phone, other than perhaps a slight language barrier? Also, emails are fraught with typos/spelling errors and some creative use of words, but I'm less concerned with that). He remains insistent on my overnight'ing payment.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks!

[Edited to add information and hopefully eliminate grammar errors, so as to not look like a hypocrite!]

Old 02-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anonymousdave

I'd walk away.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Seller states "Satisfaction is always guaranteed". Id tell him that you are not satisfied with this transaction. Then Id begin negotiating how to appropriately compensate him for the inconvenience and costs which he has incurred.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I would walk too.

why risk 3k?

if this guy can't be bothered eff em.

Steve

Old 02-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Don't walk away...Run....

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

What do you do for a living??? Find out where this guy is in Texas, and find someone nearby who does the same thing... ie are you an attorney? And use this guy as a middle man, AFTER arranging it. You might find a banker. Or a police officer. A board member...

Good luck, no. You don't need good luck. You need good arrangements. Make some.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Thanks to all for your advice.
Frank- yes, I am actually and attorney and I contacted a PI who does work for law firms and who is in the seller's area to make the "exchange." Seller responded by saying he didn't have time-which bewilders me, as it would take less time to make this exchange than it would to send the card itself. Oh well.
Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Cobby, I live near Austin, Texas. If the seller is not too far away, I'd be willing to help however I can.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The seller's add says the card has an ink stamp on the back of the original owners name. Why doesn't the card have PSA's MK qualifier?

edited for spelling

Old 02-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Paul-He did send me a scan of what is purported to be the back, which does have the stamp and the # checks out with PSA- but good question about the qualifier!!! I did email PSA about this.

P.S. Thanks for the email-I will get back to you.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

While this guy sounds fishy, I don't think a low number of feedbacks necessarily means anything. I only have 18 feedbacks on my ebay account (100% positive). I just don't buy there all that much. When I sell it is usually on the BST here or directly to somebody I know. If all my private transactions counted, I would have hundreds of positives. I guess what I am saying is that just because somebody does not have hundreds or thousands of completed transactions on ebay does not necessarily mean they are a scammer. Not every vintage collector does most of their transactions through ebaby. Then again, if I were going to sell on ebay, I would probably consign to a big seller out of fear that some people would not bid because of my low # of total feedbacks.
JimB

Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The tipoff is the refusal to meet with your PI to exchange money for card. If he is worried about security, have the meeting at his bank branch so he can immediately deposit the money. Given the facts thus far, run away!

Old 02-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Excellent points.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've yet to have an eBay winner hire a private investigator to pick up winnings at my home. ("Okay, but it's just a Willie MacGee Staring Lineup").

Perhaps that could make a viable business operation. A network of PIs spread out across the country, ready to pick up in person expensive eBay winnings. It's just a modern-day version of Humphry Bogard going after the Maltese Falcon, especially considering the Maltese Falcon movie prop was recently auctioned.

Just replace the falcon with a baseball card, and you have the modern scene (there probably wouldn't be a beautiful woman involved either).