NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 AM
Eric T

Default Baseball Card Binders

I'm wondering how many people use binders with the pocket pages for their cards. I know they were more popular in the past, but I'm curious how many people pull out a binder when they are showing off their cards these days. And I'm not talking about a binder from 30 yrs ago in the basement or garage, I mean binders with pages that are currently being used.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Al Richter

1948 to 2016--- any day I am in town I am usually going through one of them
Old 09-30-2016, 09:10 AM
D@vid L@dd

I put my lower grade sets in binders...I love them for display purposes, but they make me nervous with high $$$ cards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Jason Presley

I keep all my player collections in binders. Still find myself doing the card pocket shuffle if I didn't leave enough space for a new card. Everything else is sorted into monster boxes to sell.

Last edited by DaClyde; 09-30-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Ben Martin

I use Unikeep binders for my sets and team sets. They are nice and keep dust and light off the cards since they completely close up.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

I still have a couple sets and some odds and ends in binders, but for standard sized normal stuff I'm mostly getting away from them.

I'll probably leave the 74 set in the binder, even though it's not really a good binder, it's the first big set I put in a binder, and while the 715 issue of SI didn't really fit the pocket so the top got a bit worn I like the overall feel of it. I'll probably have to replace the pages. The "better" binders aren't really better since the pages slump a bit if the binder isn't over filled. I still use binders for stuff line large thin cards, stamps or other stuff like that.

Steve B
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Eric T

As for myself, I was all about binders like a lot of people were 30 years ago when I was a kid. Had player binders, team binders, star card, rookie, set.... spent more time moving cards around then on any other part of the hobby. But I was 10, and it was fun. Got out of collecting for a while. When I came back as an adult I only was involved with limited amounts of older cards. No binders around. Now I'm collecting more actively again and I dont see binders. I wonder if kids still use them? I do keep up locally though and am always looking at collections people are trying to get rid of. Junk mainly. I'd say 60% of the individuals I meet up with that are selling older childhood collections have at least 1 binder involved at some point. Sucks when the good cards are in there. I see a lot of cards that have been in binders for 20+ years. Never good. Sure, they were probably handled by kids for the most part at the time they went in the binder. There's usually bottom corner damage. But a big thing I also see, is that over time, in my location, The top edges of cards get really discolored. Some times like the top 25-33% of the card. I would suppose this is from humidity locally. These days I just use a penny sleeve in a standard top loader. They all go in the white boxes with covers that hold 3 rows of top loaders. I don't really have people around that want to see my cards so its not really an issue. The cards I choose to show are framed and hanging around the bar/house.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Eric T

Now I want binder pages that hold standard top loaders. Anything like that around?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Just today I threw away about 200 9 Pocket Ultra Pro sheets. They were collecting dust with nothing in them. I think everyone kept their cards in sheets and binders when I was a kid. Now Im like most, I use penny sleeves for singles. The bulk I have in 5000 count or 800 count. I also have quite a few jammerz which are ok for bulk. I also just picked up a 800 count plastic storage from the container store which was pricey but Im kind of a junkie for card storage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Jay Shelton

My complete collection is in binders/Ultra Pro sheets. That includes 9 BCW binders and Ultra Pro sheets for complete Topps sets 1975-80, Fleer 1981, Donruss 1982, Fleer 1983, 2 binders full of football cards, 2 binders of non-sports, and 5 Ultra-Pro binders/sheets for my Japanese baseball card collection....

I prefer the BCW binders, as they seem to last longer that Ultra Pro. In fact, some of my BCW binders are 25 years old and in perfect shape.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Mark

Binder guy all the way. Ultra Pro pages all the way.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Binder guy all the way. Ultra Pro pages all the way.

Mark,

I've always loved your setup. Works well for us OCD types. One thing I did that I would recommend is to put 'supports' in the center of the shelves as even the good wood will sag over time. Basically I worked from the bottom up, cutting a 1/2 inch thick by 2 inch wide board to the length of space between the shelves. So the bottom shelf will help support the 2nd shelf, and so on up. The thickness still fits between the binders just fine but provides additional support for the shelves in the center.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 PM
David L.

Yeah, really cool

Those are Ultra Pro 3" correct?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:51 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
I put my lower grade sets in binders...I love them for display purposes, but they make me nervous with high $$$ cards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I am going to a show this week and am going to experiment with picking up some four pockets to keep big cards in two pieces in the binder. Set in question is my 1967 topps. Certainly Mantle/Brooks/Seaver/Carew are obvious choices, but actually pretty much all the highs are expensive and stubborn to find.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:00 PM

Default Binders

I kept all my cards in binders for years. Most were 1959- 90's on up. They weren't handled, just stored. I found over time the 70's cards corners broke down.
I finally took them out put them in sleeves in top loaders. I had probably
14 Brett and Yount rookies that wouldn't grade over a 7. Made me sick.
Newer cards may hold up better, but my older cards didn't. Don't know if
its the part of the country but I took all my cards out of binders and tossed them.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Eric T

I'm kinda torn here. Originally I had wanted to keep my sets in binders instead of just the boxes they are now in. I like being able to page through and look at them. I talked myself out of it though, based on what just seemed to me to be an inadequate way to store them. After seeing the picture posted above of all those nicely organized and uniform sets.... Man, I sure would love to do that.
It's a good thing I'm both busy and lazy I guess. Beautiful picture by the way.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybestbretts View Post
I kept all my cards in binders for years. Most were 1959- 90's on up. They weren't handled, just stored. I found over time the 70's cards corners broke down.
I finally took them out put them in sleeves in top loaders. I had probably
14 Brett and Yount rookies that wouldn't grade over a 7. Made me sick.
Newer cards may hold up better, but my older cards didn't. Don't know if
its the part of the country but I took all my cards out of binders and tossed them.
How did you have them stored? Never heard of cards getting broke down by just sitting in binders. Makes me a little scared! I have 1953-1979 Topps sets in binders and 1950-1955 Bowman as well.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Dave H@rford

Quote:
How did you have them stored? Never heard of cards getting broke down by just sitting in binders. Makes me a little scared! I have 1953-1979 Topps sets in binders and 1950-1955 Bowman as well.
+1. Yikes! Same here (although not as extensive)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Rob Anderson

I have 1970-2015 Topps and 1996 -2015 Topps Chrome Refractors including all the colors in binders. I am still working on many of the colored refractor sets, but I haven't noticed any cards breaking down. I guess I should check them all again.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM

I recently started collecting again, and I definitely use binders and ultra pro pages. I'm kind of obsessive about organization of my collection.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Binders and pages here too. Don't care about the style of binders. I have some that were made for cards, the vast majority I get from thrift and they are just old corporate binders. Pages, also don't care what brand or anything, as long as they are top-loading style. Side loaders I hate.

Everything goes into binders except for completed sets.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Ne@l K

Any answer to how binder pagers can break down corners of a card?

I am considering putting a few sets into binders and the comments made were both interesting and concerning.

Also, any good recommendations for a binder/album? Ideally I would like to have one of those binders that fits into another box .... like a cover. Does that make sense?

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM

It makes sense to me. Having binders stand up properly is an issue, they tend to move one way or the other. I don't know of a way to stop them from doing that, except to lay them down instead. Being inside of a box, I'm not sure it will make a real difference. Smaller binders seem to work better than larger ones.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Rob G.

I use Archival Methods binders with slipcase for dust protection. Not cheap (over $50 ea), but they hold up well. I also use their page lifters (a handful per binder) to add some stability.

http://www.archivalmethods.com/produ...-slip-case-set

I store a good portion (50%?) of my collection raw in binders (rest is maybe 40% in raw stacks or top loaders and 10% graded). OJs, tobacco, candy, 1920s, 30s, tickets, postcards, supplements, post-war, everything.

Good luck!

Last edited by tiger8mush; 01-31-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-03-2017, 04:18 AM
Scott B.

When I decide to collect a set, I research the number of cards involved. The base set, inserts, sp's, errors, advert cards etc. etc. I then go buy 9-pocket sheets to cover the number of cards involved. I put the sheets into binder/s.

The base set I leave blank and fill in the cards in their designated pockets as I get them. The inserts etc. I identify either individually or as a group with either a card-size piece of paper with the ID on it, which I slide into the pocket, or a label i stick on the surface of the pocket.

Then I collect the set through trades and purchases. I know the complete set because of the binder/s. I don't need to go and research the set again because everything is labelled/ID'd. When I receive cards I open the binder, find the appropriate pockets and slide the cards in after they are put in penny-sleeves. I can then, if I wish, flip through the pages and see which cards I'm still missing.

It gives me a sense of accomplishment seeing binders fill up which I don't get if I just put them in order in monster boxes.

As for parallels of the sets, I wait until I have collected a large number of them before I go buy pocket pages and another binder for them, usually once I get around 50% of the cards involved.

This I find the most enjoyable way to collect. As you move forward in time, sets start to expand in size, where you will need multiple binders to cover all the cards. My 1985 Topps set I can fit into one large binder, or two average-sized binders. My 2007 Topps set, which I am still collecting, Has 5 or 6 binders involved so far.

All doubles, triples of cards go into monster boxes for trade.

I think if you have the money, pocket sheets aren't cheap, although putting every card in a top-loader instead would be expensive as well, is the best way to collect. You get to see the cards as you want, you see how the set becomes completed as you put cards in their pockets, and Putting binders on shelves rather than having stacks of monster boxes is much easier in terms of adding cards or finding where cards go.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Any answer to how binder pagers can break down corners of a card?

I am considering putting a few sets into binders and the comments made were both interesting and concerning.

Also, any good recommendations for a binder/album? Ideally I would like to have one of those binders that fits into another box .... like a cover. Does that make sense?
I would say page flipping. I bought some 1950's sets in albums a few years ago and the 54 Bowman set had really suffered from flipping thru over the years. The cards slide up and the corners get damaged. The owner of these cards was a strong handed flipper. Many of the cards in the top corners of the pages had surface creases from grabbing the page to flip it. That included a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams that ended up a PSA 2 instead of a 5 or better. No albums for me.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Gary McNabb

Default I still do.....

I have all my cards in binders.....when I get a card thats been slabbed , I crack it !!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6108.jpg (73.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 AM

I need to get some of those 3 pocket pages. It would work out well for ticket stubs.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Mike

I am a team & player collector and have almost 40 binders filled with Yankees, Jets, Knicks, Islanders and some of my favorite players. I also just started a Baseball Hall Of Fame Binder. I love binders. I am still putting together binders for various sets. I have boxes upon boxes I need go through and organize and put into binders.

I find that binders are pretty expensive, so I have been picking up office binders, but still use the Ultra Pro/BCW 9 pocket pages to protect my cards. I have seen a product where it's like a penny sleeve, but encloses the whole cards and then you slide the card into the pocket. I need to find out the name of that product and get a bunch for my cards.

I love binders and will always used them for my card collection.

Mike
Old 05-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Mike Dugan

I agree with Rob on the archival binders in slipcases. My wife made a great point, she asked why I would put a set that books for several grand in a $10.00 binder? It hit home pretty quick.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Sam Lemoine

I have all of the sets that I consider part of my collection in binders and labeled. I choose to just use white d-ring binders, because I can't stand to see different types of binders on the shelf. Much like scottbdoug, I count out the sheets I need and put them in before I even start the set. For small sets, I have multiple sets in a binder. Obviously, graded cards are in a separate location, and sets that I have but don't have a specific attachment to just stay in boxes.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
I find that binders are pretty expensive, so I have been picking up office binders,
Binders at retail seem like a huge scam. If you are a binder guy, you can tell if one has good rings or not. I never have bought a binder at retail, even a card binder. One exception was when TRU had a sale and you could get 100 pages and a binder for $10.

I buy all of my binders from thrift stores, or I have asked friends or relatives if they can find any where they work.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Mike

Back at my old job, I actually dumpster dove for binders as they used to throw out tons of them. Not so much here at my current job.

I buy mine at dollar stores for about 3 bucks a pop and haven't had any issues thus far.

Mike
Old 07-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Gary McNabb

Default Binders

I still use binders for all my cards. I only collect Highlanders and Yankees and I have them set by decades. The best binders to buy are these.....
https://www.archivalmethods.com/blog...-ring-binders/

Share your vintage Yankee’s
https://www.facebook.com/groups/554519474738304/
Sharing my vintage Yankee’s
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_723.jpg (20.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_718.jpg (20.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4b4.jpg (19.3 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by garymc; 07-11-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Mike

Gary, I am a Yankees collector also and those Highlander cards are beautiful. I looked at your flicker photos and drooled on my keyboard.

Mike

Last edited by yankeesjetsfan; 07-13-2017 at 03:10 PM.