NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-17-2010, 12:32 AM

Default I also collect TYPE 2-3-4 Photos. Here are some examples...

Over the last several months, there has been a lot of talk about the poor step-brother of TYPE 1 photos... the TYPE 2, 3, and 4 photos.

Most of us think (me included) that there is a huge difference between a "vintage" TYPE 2 and a modern example. The modern TYPE 2 is much more plentiful and the prices realized at auction are really starting to show the difference between the two.

Many of you have stated that the window that PSA gives of 2 years for TYPE 1 photos is just too short. I happen to completely agree. I proposed in a earlier thread that maybe the window should be something like 10 years for photos taken between 1900-1920. 5 years between 1921-1945. And 3 years from 1946-1970.

I think that those would be reasonable boundaries for the hobby.

Regardless, it seems to me that many collectors are gun-shy of buying most any TYPE 2, 3, 4 photos. However, while there is no question that TYPE 1 photography drives the hobby, I have found a niche part of the photo market that I just can't get enough of!

Sequential & Composite images are absolutely some of my favorite photos to collect. I just love the action and/or importance of the event they capture. I also think that this is a terrific way to get more bang for your buck!

Does anyone else collect these TYPE of photos? If you have 'em, show 'em.

This vintage 1919 composite is a TYPE 4 photo. Note the slug, as this is the first Home Run Record that the Bambino ever broke/set!
1919babeHRking.jpg1919babeHRkingSLUG.jpg

Although this play didn't change the outcome of the game, there is no question it helped change the outcome of the series. TYPE 3
1955jackiestealshome.jpg1955jackiestealshomeVERSO.jpg

The late great Jim Murray once wrote that "Willie Mays' glove, is where triples go to die" TYPE 3
1954WillieMaysCatch.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 12-17-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Jimmy,

Very nice!

The Jackie stealing home would be great to have autographed by Berra, along with his "He was out!" inscription. He still maintains that Jackie was out. Can you tell definitively from the photos?

I got a couple of photos autographed by Yogi a few weeks ago, and at 85 the guy is still hysterical!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Can you explain why Sequential & Composite photos can't be type 1? I can understand if a composite includes an older photo that's been reprinted from the negative, but that's not always the case and sequential is just a series of photos and how they print them on one sheet.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Jon Canfield

He was out. No question in my mind.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Mike it is a COMPLETELY dumb rule, but composites and sequentials can't be type 1 because they are always photos of photos and by construction they are not from "the original negative" but photos of already developed photos. This is the main reason why the type classification is a nice attempt but falls short of the mark. All people really care about is if the photo is original "vintage" or not. This would make all Old Judge Baseball Cards and most 19th century team photos not type 1's either.

It is a slippery slope though because say I have a type 1 photo of Elvis and then someone takes a photo of that photo, that makes it a type 4. BUT, if someone takes a picture of me holding the photo it becomes a type 1 photo of me holding what would otherwise be a type 4 right? So if you have a 1915 picture of Babe Ruth and then a 1918 photo of Babe Ruth holding the 1915 picture it would HAVE TO be a Type 1 and a Type 4 in the same photo!

Or maybe it could be a type 1.4, OH CRAP, PSA has to bring in the decimals for photos now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Dave

Hmm! What about "Magic Eye" photos?

Now I realize many sequential photos are basically images of photos pasted on a pinboard.

But aren't many sequential photos essentially contact sheet prints from the same roll of film? Direct from the negative, direct from the original contact sheet off the negative, what should it really matter? Especially in the case of news/press photos.

The two essential questions should be. Does it originate to the time the original image was taken? and; Is it a wire/sound/radio photo transmission? (Itself, not such a bad thing, as long as it originates from the right time period).
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well...I never thought about making a "mock-up" of the sequential photos and then taking a picture...I can see how that would not be an original. However, as stated, you can make a contact print possibly, or, there are many ways to block off portions of the paper to expose different photos and then develop the print. I'd say if the rule is a hard and fast one, then it's just wrong. If it's a guide line unless you can prove otherwise, then ok.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Sequential and composite photos can be original, as they can be printed from the original negatives.

Last edited by drc; 12-17-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM

But in composites you take photos, print them from the negative, then lay them out and take another photo and then print that one out. Photos of Photos right? By "rule" that makes them type 4 I believe. How can a composite not be photo of a photo unless it is the photographers original proof?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM

With composite (multi image) photos you can make them either way. Lay down four single photos and take a photo of that, or develop the four images directly from the original negatives.

Last edited by drc; 12-17-2010 at 01:27 PM.