NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,540
Default Notre Dame - wait 'til next year

I am happy to say that the Irish are doing better than I expected - there is a good chance that Alabama will not break 60 points, and I sincerely believe that Notre Dame will get at least 10 points.

What is up with the 'analysts' who think Notre Dame should be in this game, simply because they are undefeated? This is the same logic that got BYU a number 1 ranking back in the '70s. Notre Dame should have been dropped from consideration after the Pittsburgh game. The bowl season ended Friday with A&M's demolishing of Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
sdkammeyer's Avatar
sdkammeyer sdkammeyer is offline
Steve K@mmɘyɘr
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 618
Default

I have family at the game tonight and they are BUMMED
I've been trying to tell them for 2 weeks that this was going to happen.

I'm saying 42-7
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,540
Default

It's still a great football experience - I'm sure they are having fun on some level.

I loved the way they cut off Brian Kelly at halftime, when he was about to surrender. Luckily they had a camera on him, ready to cut in case he started dropping f-bombs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Jlighter Jlighter is offline
Jake
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida or VA
Posts: 1,010
Default

Notre Dame can't be faulted for being in the game. Every season Notre Dame has arguably the toughest schedule in college football.

Michigan State
Michigan
Oklahoma
Stanford
USC

Much better Notre Dame then Kansas State, the most overrated team in college football.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/themessage94/

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 PM
sdkammeyer's Avatar
sdkammeyer sdkammeyer is offline
Steve K@mmɘyɘr
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 618
Default

Shoulda' been my Buckeyes
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is offline
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 5,602
Default Too Many Bowls - Not Enough Cereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I am happy to say that the Irish are doing better than I expected - there is a good chance that Alabama will not break 60 points, and I sincerely believe that Notre Dame will get at least 10 points.

What is up with the 'analysts' who think Notre Dame should be in this game, simply because they are undefeated? This is the same logic that got BYU a number 1 ranking back in the '70s. Notre Dame should have been dropped from consideration after the Pittsburgh game. The bowl season ended Friday with A&M's demolishing of Oklahoma.
Right again, Scott. The Heisman trumped the BCS this year. An Alabama-Manziel rematch would have been more meaningful, but alas they are in the same division of the same conference with LSU, not to mention Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in the other half. If Northern Illinois hadn't lost to Iowa, the National championship game might well have been the irish vs the Huskies. And even that would have been better than the BBVA Compass Bowl.
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - NEARLY PQ AND ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON A PREWAR CARD, BUT.........

MY AVATAR IS A GUY NAMED BURKETT TO WHOM I AM NOT RELATED, WHO IS OLD ENOUGH.


518/1000 Monster Number

Over*760* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-19.
Over 550 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.



Now nearly PQ.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 AM
CMIZ5290's Avatar
CMIZ5290 CMIZ5290 is offline
KEVIN MIZE
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: VALDOSTA, GA.
Posts: 5,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I am happy to say that the Irish are doing better than I expected - there is a good chance that Alabama will not break 60 points, and I sincerely believe that Notre Dame will get at least 10 points.

What is up with the 'analysts' who think Notre Dame should be in this game, simply because they are undefeated? This is the same logic that got BYU a number 1 ranking back in the '70s. Notre Dame should have been dropped from consideration after the Pittsburgh game. The bowl season ended Friday with A&M's demolishing of Oklahoma.
+1, big time....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
CMIZ5290's Avatar
CMIZ5290 CMIZ5290 is offline
KEVIN MIZE
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: VALDOSTA, GA.
Posts: 5,321
Default

To be perfectly honest, I think there are 4 or 5 teams in the SEC who could either beat Notre Dame, or certainly take them to the wire. While I do agree about Notre Dame's schedule, I saw them this year pull out 3 or 4 games at the very end of the game against a weak opponent....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Notre Dame can't be faulted for being in the game. Every season Notre Dame has arguably the toughest schedule in college football.

Michigan State
Michigan
Oklahoma
Stanford
USC

Much better Notre Dame then Kansas State, the most overrated team in college football.

Michigan State: Very mediocre this season
Michigan: Consistently gets the crap beat out of them by the SEC (Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina). Another media school.
Oklahoma: Lost their bowl game 41-13.
Stanford: Very good football team
USC: First pre-season #1 in history to lose 5 games in a season, including a bowl loss to a sub .500 ACC team.

According to a couple of sources Alabama had the toughest schedule in the national while Notre Dame ranked 6th.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Right again, Scott. The Heisman trumped the BCS this year. An Alabama-Manziel rematch would have been more meaningful, but alas they are in the same division of the same conference with LSU, not to mention Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in the other half. If Northern Illinois hadn't lost to Iowa, the National championship game might well have been the irish vs the Huskies. And even that would have been better than the BBVA Compass Bowl.

For the record it was 1984 when BYU was awarded the National Title before any of the New Year's bowl games were even played. I think an Oregon-Alabama game would have been a great match-up.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is offline
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 4,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Much better Notre Dame then Kansas State, the most overrated team in college football.
KSU sarted the season unranked. They finished with an 11-1 record and were the ONLY team to play and beat 5 ranked opponents this year (regular season). How does that make them the most overrated team in college football? Given the fact that nobody gave them a chance pre-season, I'd say they far exceeded everyone's expectations.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
CMIZ5290's Avatar
CMIZ5290 CMIZ5290 is offline
KEVIN MIZE
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: VALDOSTA, GA.
Posts: 5,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
KSU sarted the season unranked. They finished with an 11-1 record and were the ONLY team to play and beat 5 ranked opponents this year (regular season). How does that make them the most overrated team in college football? Given the fact that nobody gave them a chance pre-season, I'd say they far exceeded everyone's expectations.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,540
Default

Wow, it WAS 1984 when BYU won it all. What sucked the most was that they played 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl - any team in the top ten would have crushed them. Michigan was something like #23.

By the way, insinuating that anyone blames Notre Dame for being ranked #1 is absurd.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
TUM301 TUM301 is offline
H Murphy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: western Mass
Posts: 756
Default Next Year

Looking forward to next year already. After seeing the high school all star games this weekend, and listening to the experts opinions on recruitment classes it sounds like N D is ready for a strong run. Another year with Kelly bringing Golson around should insure a strong 2013 campaign.
__________________
H Murphy Collection https://www.flickr.com/photos/154296763@N05/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Wow, it WAS 1984 when BYU won it all. What sucked the most was that they played 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl - any team in the top ten would have crushed them. Michigan was something like #23.

By the way, insinuating that anyone blames Notre Dame for being ranked #1 is absurd.
I've followed the BYU program for years and think they should get a little more credit. They had a superb offensive scheme that churned out quarterbacks like Jim McMahon and Steve Young. Using this early passing oriented system, they defeated some very good teams in the 1980s. Would they have beat teams like Oklahoma? Who knows what would happen in a one-game scenario. But they were far from scrubs. The 1990 Miami Hurricanes got it handed to them by BYU.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Jlighter Jlighter is offline
Jake
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida or VA
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
KSU sarted the season unranked. They finished with an 11-1 record and were the ONLY team to play and beat 5 ranked opponents this year (regular season). How does that make them the most overrated team in college football? Given the fact that nobody gave them a chance pre-season, I'd say they far exceeded everyone's expectations.
They got walloped by Baylor, and when truly test they failed miserably, against Oregon. Put The Irish against The Wildcats, the Irish will win. It will be a better game then we saw yesterday, but the Irish will win. I probably watched half of Kansas States games this year, and they did not seem impressive to me in the slightest. If we went just by rankings we would be lead to believe Northern Illinois and Vanderbilt are better then Michigan.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/themessage94/

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is offline
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 4,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I probably watched half of Kansas States games this year, and they did not seem impressive to me in the slightest.
That's funny, becuase in nearly half of their games (5 of 12) they put up 50+ points on their opponent. You must have watch the other 7 games, huh?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Jlighter Jlighter is offline
Jake
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida or VA
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Michigan State: Very mediocre this season
Michigan: Consistently gets the crap beat out of them by the SEC (Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina). Another media school.
Oklahoma: Lost their bowl game 41-13.
Stanford: Very good football team
USC: First pre-season #1 in history to lose 5 games in a season, including a bowl loss to a sub .500 ACC team.

According to a couple of sources Alabama had the toughest schedule in the national while Notre Dame ranked 6th.

Michigan State: Played a close game with Ohio State, beat Wisconsin and TCU.
Michigan: Almost beat South Carolina in the Capitol One Bowl, almost beat Ohio State in Columbus.
USC: very talented football team, period.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/themessage94/

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Jlighter Jlighter is offline
Jake
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida or VA
Posts: 1,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
That's funny, becuase in half of their games (6 of 12) they put up 50+ points on their opponent. You must have watch the other 6 games, huh?
I watched
Miami- UVA and UNC beat them.
Oklahoma- Close Game.
West Virginia- Bad team.
Baylor- stated earlier.
Texas- won big, as did Oklahoma.
Oregon- Stated Earlier.

I'll admit they were a decent team, just did not play up to their ranking.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/themessage94/

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is offline
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 4,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I'll admit they were a decent team, just did not play up to their ranking.
That's just it. They weren't ranked (pre-season). Nobody gave them a chance. How could they not play up to their ranking if they weren't ranked? They had to earn their ranking week in and week out moving up in the polls by winning.

Only 1 loss in the regular season and that wasn't until week 11. Again, they beat 5 other ranked opponents. Nobody else can say that. They also won 5 games by 50+ points and 2 other games by 40+ points.

I still fail to see how that makes them the most overrated college football team in the country. If you want to talk about overrated, how about USC? They started the season ranked #1, went 7-5 and lost their bowl game. I would say they were overrated.

BTW, I watched all 12 KSU games (13 including the Fiesta Bowl) and they looked pretty strong to me in all but two of their games.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM
CMIZ5290's Avatar
CMIZ5290 CMIZ5290 is offline
KEVIN MIZE
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: VALDOSTA, GA.
Posts: 5,321
Default

USC incredibly over hyped. I was hoping that pansy ass, whiny, crooked coach would have gotten the axe from Pat Haden.....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Jlighter Jlighter is offline
Jake
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida or VA
Posts: 1,010
Default

I honestly don't put any weight in Pre Season AP Rankings. I'm not sure what I would replace it with. Maybe no rankings until Week 6 or something, because I don't feel there is enough of a statistical example to make a measurement on how good a team is. Every team changes every season. Notre Dame didn't make the AP Poll this preseason, LSU was third, Oklahoma fourth, Arkansas tenth, West Virignia eleventh, Michigan State thirteenth, Virignia Tech sixteenth.

In the AP Stanford was ranked 21 and Kansas Sate was ranked 22.
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/themessage94/

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 01-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I've followed the BYU program for years and think they should get a little more credit. They had a superb offensive scheme that churned out quarterbacks like Jim McMahon and Steve Young. Using this early passing oriented system, they defeated some very good teams in the 1980s. Would they have beat teams like Oklahoma? Who knows what would happen in a one-game scenario. But they were far from scrubs. The 1990 Miami Hurricanes got it handed to them by BYU.
In 1984 they weren't the best team in the nation - my post was meant to show another example of when a team was ranked too high because it was based on their record rather than how good they were.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
In 1984 they weren't the best team in the nation - my post was meant to show another example of when a team was ranked too high because it was based on their record rather than how good they were.

None of us know if they were the best in the nation because of a broken bowl system that has yet to be fully fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
howard38 howard38 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Michigan State: Very mediocre this season
Michigan: Consistently gets the crap beat out of them by the SEC (Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina). Another media school.
Oklahoma: Lost their bowl game 41-13.
Stanford: Very good football team
USC: First pre-season #1 in history to lose 5 games in a season, including a bowl loss to a sub .500 ACC team.

According to a couple of sources Alabama had the toughest schedule in the national while Notre Dame ranked 6th.
If the Irish had the sixth toughest schedule and were undefeated then they probably deserved to be in the championship game.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
None of us know if they were the best in the nation because of a broken bowl system that has yet to be fully fixed.
I do. They were not.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Orioles1954 Orioles1954 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I do. They were not.
Have it your way. Next time, at least get the decade right before making bold declarations of fact. OK?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,540
Default

deleted

I'm going to save my angst for something worthwhile.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Congrats to Notre Dame! 12-0 Blackie Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 7 11-27-2012 12:22 PM
O/T - Notre Dame's Manti Teo rainier2004 Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 0 10-27-2012 10:03 AM
Notre Dame Yearbooks Archive Football Cards Forum 2 07-20-2008 08:46 PM
1930's Notre Dame Stamps Archive Football Cards Forum 4 05-16-2008 12:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.


ebay GSB