NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-17-2019, 12:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default ‘62 Topps Maris #1 - Condition frustration

I recently picked up this woodie, a card I’ve wanted for quite some time but had never pulled the trigger on. It’s probably an EX 5 level card - OC, and some light corner wear, but a surface without many problems and a crispy image. I like the card so much I was already considering an upgrade - maybe a better centered PSA 5-6, or even something in an SGC slab...and then I started an eBay search, and geez!

What a bear this card is to find perfectly centered in mid-grade, or even close to it for a decent price. Besides the lower grade stuff, most of what is available seems to be sharp corners but noticeably OC, centered decently but with print issues, or cards that are nicer and I would be interested in, save for the fact that they are all WAY more expensive than I anticipated. I even saw a few PSA 6’s with nice centering that seemed to have been priced with the notion that they were of 8-level rarity or something.

For those of you who own this card, did you face a choice of centering over corners? It seems that kind of decision may have to be more common for the 62’s than I realized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I've been looking for a nice, well centered one in Ex/Mt condition for a while. Still looking.

You can say the same thing for the '61 Maris too, but the '62 is definitely tougher. I did pick up a nice '61 though.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Is it the picture or is the bottom right corner sloped down? Looks hand-cut to me.
But yes, that card is difficult to find in nice condition. It's a pick your poison type of card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I can't speak specifically to the Maris, but a while back I was looking for the '62 Managers Dream with Mantle/Mays card and had a very difficult time finding one I liked (for a price I liked). A common problem was registration, but centering was all over the place also.

Seems like some years have their specific problems. '57s and '62s seem to have registration problems while other years have their own problems - centering, diamond cut, color tint, etc.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Is it the picture or is the bottom right corner sloped down? Looks hand-cut to me.
But yes, that card is difficult to find in nice condition. It's a pick your poison type of card.
It may be the photo angle. There is some edge wear on the bottom, but looking at it straight on, it is square. The bottom right corner is definitely dinged.

I think my poison for this particular card is going to be accept somewhat OC and get nicer corners. Doing both is an expensive proposition. There is a nice PSA 7 for sale on ebay right now with a BIN of $675.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I looked for a lower grade vg-ex that was centered for quite some time to complete a set. Centered are out there both raw and graded in all conditions but you are not going to get them cheap. I noticed that sellers wanted way too much money for oc ones that had less wear and the centered cards were very pricey for even ungraded. I was so glad I finally found one at a decent price that I liked!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Bob F.

I like the centering on my Maris, but it does have a couple of red print dots in the background. Stupid print dots.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
I like the centering on my Maris, but it does have a couple of red print dots in the background. Stupid print dots.

Still a nice 7 Bob, more surprising is that overall (minus a few exceptions) this card as a 7 has not jumped as significantly in value over the past few years as the Mantle and Mays cards in 7s or higher from this set have.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I recently picked up this woodie, a card I’ve wanted for quite some time but had never pulled the trigger on. It’s probably an EX 5 level card - OC, and some light corner wear, but a surface without many problems and a crispy image. I like the card so much I was already considering an upgrade - maybe a better centered PSA 5-6, or even something in an SGC slab...and then I started an eBay search, and geez!

What a bear this card is to find perfectly centered in mid-grade, or even close to it for a decent price. Besides the lower grade stuff, most of what is available seems to be sharp corners but noticeably OC, centered decently but with print issues, or cards that are nicer and I would be interested in, save for the fact that they are all WAY more expensive than I anticipated. I even saw a few PSA 6’s with nice centering that seemed to have been priced with the notion that they were of 8-level rarity or something.

For those of you who own this card, did you face a choice of centering over corners? It seems that kind of decision may have to be more common for the 62’s than I realized.

That's still a very presentable card, John. I have really loosened up on condition within the last year or so. I don't think I will ever tolerate creases, but a card like this has (to me) acceptable wear, and it has the centering it left the factory with. If I were building this set, which I am not, that would work for me and look great in the binder.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
That's still a very presentable card, John. I have really loosened up on condition within the last year or so. I don't think I will ever tolerate creases, but a card like this has (to me) acceptable wear, and it has the centering it left the factory with. If I were building this set, which I am not, that would work for me and look great in the binder.
62's & 71's are a tough breed aren't they. It's why we love'm so.

I like 7's or higher but they can NOT have that stupid white line running across the top or bottom of the 62's. I would rather have a L/R 80/20 centering, with no white lines on 6's or 7's and sharp corners.

Just say no to the little "white lines".
Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
62's & 71's are a tough breed aren't they. It's why we love'm so.

I like 7's or higher but they can NOT have that stupid white line running across the top or bottom of the 62's. I would rather have a L/R 80/20 centering, with no white lines on 6's or 7's and sharp corners.

Just say no to the little "white lines".
I know what you are talking about, but they don't bother me. My Maris has the line, my Mantle doesn't. Good enough...
Old 02-18-2019, 02:50 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I did get another one that hopefully I will be able to post a pic of soon. It's got sharp, NM-ish corners, but is O/C probably 70/30 to 75/25-ish range. Graded a 5.5 EX+.

O/C on this set does not bother me for some reason, I think it's because the borders are brown and not white? Anyhow this one because of that has a bit of an eclectic look - but I like it.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-18-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I know what you are talking about, but they don't bother me. My Maris has the line, my Mantle doesn't. Good enough...
Priorities in Order!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Al Richter

Kivas Faho ends up with the best example in 2366
Old 02-19-2019, 11:33 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What? I googled that and still don't get it.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I think I know where he gets his Data.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default ‘62 Topps Maris #1 - Condition frustration

Ok, here’s my 2nd ‘62 Maris. Centering a tad worse than the first one, corners and colors both way better. I’m wondering if this was BVG’s equivalent of downgrading based on what would be a qualifier, which they don’t have. If not NM in respects besides the centering, this one is close. The image is really clean as well - which I’ve decided for me on this particular card - image and corners are going to be enough. To do all that with the centering I’m not spending like $300 or more on a strong PSA 6.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 AM
Jimmy Motz

Default Best offer

I recently purchased this card on ebay using the best offer. Card looks great to me from the pics, but my concern is the offer was accepted within minutes of making it, which has never happened to me before, it usually takes several hours or even days. Should I be concerned about the authenticity of this card by such a quick acceptance.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Image isn't showing up. Are you jimmertime7 on COMC? You've got a great collection.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 02-24-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer77 View Post
I recently purchased this card on ebay using the best offer. Card looks great to me from the pics, but my concern is the offer was accepted within minutes of making it, which has never happened to me before, it usually takes several hours or even days. Should I be concerned about the authenticity of this card by such a quick acceptance.
I wouldn't be concerned. There are settings on eBay now where offers at a certain amount are automatically accepted. So you can submit an offer and then seconds later be notified that it is accepted. It's happened to me before.

At a minimum, why would how quickly or slowly someone accepts an offer have anything to do with the card's authenticity? I would go more on their feecback for that.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-25-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Albert Bee

Default 62 Maris

Great year, Great card
Old 02-26-2019, 05:53 AM
Jimmy Motz

Swarmee - I am not the Jimmer on COMC....