NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 42
Default

Looking back at the box that got this all started, the 1981-83 Cramer.

I've sold 3 singles and 4 lots for $1.99 w/ free s/h. So, that's $13.93 out of my original $34.95 "investment".
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:22 AM
Yastrzemski Sports Yastrzemski Sports is offline
Adam Yastrzemski
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Cooperstown, NY
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Cracked all the '89 Donruss rack packs.

Pulled 5 Griffey Jr's, 4 Randy Johnson, and it seems mostly 3-9 cards.

I've started listing a few cards on eBay, but I can't imagine I'll make the $50 I spent on the case. I guess the approach is to try to make a little back, and the rest is "entertainment fee" for the fun of opening and sorting.
My best advice if you want to make money is to get a very few of the key cards graded if they are worthy. I just recently sold a 1987 Topps bo Jackson psa 10 for around $38. If the Griffey would grade a 10 it is around $200. But if itís a 9 itís worth less than $20 so you have to be really sure itís a 10. Otherwise the junk wax stuff is usually worth more unopened - as are all cards.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
My best advice if you want to make money is to get a very few of the key cards graded if they are worthy. I just recently sold a 1987 Topps bo Jackson psa 10 for around $38. If the Griffey would grade a 10 it is around $200. But if itís a 9 itís worth less than $20 so you have to be really sure itís a 10. Otherwise the junk wax stuff is usually worth more unopened - as are all cards.
It's not really "make money" as much as it's "make some of it back".

I've actually never had any cards graded. The whole "hoping for 10's" things is a bit too much like gambling for me. Looking at population reports for '89 Donruss on PSA, looks like many have tried the same and gotten burned.

That last part sounds mildly depressing. I guess the fact that I open stuff makes me a "hobbiest"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM
homerunderby homerunderby is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Next up was a 1987 Topps Mini League Leaders Wax Box.

36 packs, 7 cards per pack. I paid $15 delivered.

The 1987 Topps Mini Leaders set has 77 cards.

We learned a few things "ripping" this one:
  • We like mini cards
  • Small sets are the way to go, as we have a chance at complete sets more easily
  • Lots of mini cards were packed in plastic "wax" packs, which are less fun
  • When we bag up plastic wax pack wrappers to drop in plastic bag recycling at the local grocery store,my wife looks at us funny

We actually ended up about 5 cards short of a complete set, so not the best collation. Not sure what we'll do with these...maybe if I see more boxes cheap I'll grab more to try to get more complete sets.
An "X" out box...at the end of the year, Topps liquidated unsold product, but they marked up the box so it couldn't be sold back into retail (I guess). You see a lot of 1984 Topps football like this, at least you did until they got busted in the late-80's for Marino and Elway Rookies.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:26 PM
ALBB ALBB is offline
Albert Bee
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 73
Default 80s

back in the 80s90s, If I saw big letters on a baseball card pack/wrapper saying - LIMITED EDITION.. ..sadly..I bought it ! LOL
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Promethius88 Promethius88 is offline
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
It's not really "make money" as much as it's "make some of it back".

I've actually never had any cards graded. The whole "hoping for 10's" things is a bit too much like gambling for me. Looking at population reports for '89 Donruss on PSA, looks like many have tried the same and gotten burned.

That last part sounds mildly depressing. I guess the fact that I open stuff makes me a "hobbiest"
I just picked up a case of 1989 Donruss wax last weekend and had fun ripping it open. If your luck was anything like mine, there would have been no Griffs worth grading. Not one was remotely close to being centered. That being said, it's not the only money card in the set if graded. The Schillings are now going for $50-65 in PSA 10, I believe in anticipation of him possibly getting into the Hall next year. I'm sending in about 15-20 of the cards in a bulk sub but I am being overly picky on what I'm sending.
Even if you don't send in anything for grading, pick the most centered, sharpest cards(best to use maginfication) and just put them back, you...or your son may want to send them in for grading one day!
Best of luck/fun in your rips and thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
I just picked up a case of 1989 Donruss wax last weekend and had fun ripping it open. If your luck was anything like mine, there would have been no Griffs worth grading. Not one was remotely close to being centered. That being said, it's not the only money card in the set if graded. The Schillings are now going for $50-65 in PSA 10, I believe in anticipation of him possibly getting into the Hall next year. I'm sending in about 15-20 of the cards in a bulk sub but I am being overly picky on what I'm sending.
Even if you don't send in anything for grading, pick the most centered, sharpest cards(best to use maginfication) and just put them back, you...or your son may want to send them in for grading one day!
Best of luck/fun in your rips and thanks for sharing!
Yeah, in addition to the Griffey and Schilling, there's also the Randy Johnson.

I do have a couple non-89 Donruss cards I'm thinking about getting graded, maybe if they come back decent and I feel like I can tell the difference between a 9 and a 10, I'll give a few a try.

The suggestion of using magnification is a good one, though...my old eyes probably can't tell the difference!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 42
Default

The five Griffeys sold for a total of $14.50 delivered.

Minus shipping and fees, that still should pay for about 25% of the box.

So, 5 of the cards covers a quarter of the cost. Now, if only I was more optimistic that the remaining 3,235 cards would cover the other 3/4.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 42
Default

Sold a set of the 1988 Topps Superstars today. $2.99 plus $3.50 s/h.

67 cards sold...5,600 or so to go!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mis-Adventures of a junk wax junkie. JoeDfan Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 42 12-24-2017 06:42 PM
Adventures in Tech Support mouschi Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 10 04-27-2015 11:25 AM
Adventures in Autographs, The Cuban Connection Part II JimStinson Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 11 07-01-2012 10:25 AM
Adventures in Autographs, The Cuban Connection Part I JimStinson Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 2 06-26-2012 02:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


ebay GSB