NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default T222 Boston, Chicago, and Pittsburgh

Posted By: Jason Carota

Since the three teams listed in the title are in the T200 set, is there any reason why Fatima didn't issue players from those teams with the rest of the T222's?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'm guessing that maybe they just didn't get around to it.

Seems that when they started issuing cards with Fatima cigarettes, they mentioned 100 photos on the back. There are 52 baseball players, 4 other athletes, and 4 actors... that's 60 cards. I think they planned more. They either couldn't or didn't issue all at once. And they quit production before completing 100, or moving beyond.

About 8 years ago I talked with a fellow who collected Fatimas as a kid. I found him because of an article he'd written in a 1920s Baseball Magazine. His address was in my home town, I figured there might be old Baseball Magazines in the attic there. When I asked some quite senior folks about where the guy had lived in the 20's, they discussed it a bit, and finally one of them said, "Why don't you ask him?" I asked what he meant, he told me the guy's still alive, retired, in Fairhope, Alabama. So I called him! We talked about his BM letter, his going to school, college, teaching journalism, being a newspaper editor... at the end I asked him if he collected cards, thinking he might recall T206. Yes, he collected cards, they were really pictures, I probably had not heard of them, big cards. I asked if they had Fatima on the back and he laughed, saying yes! He told me he never could complete the set of 100. He had about 300 of them, but not 100 different. I asked him what happened to them. He said he went to college, and when he came back home that summer, his Mom (are you ready for this???) had thrown them away.... that would have been about 1930. I didn't tell him what Fatima cards sold for nowadays. Seems like those moms were after cards long ago, way before my mom dealt with my cards. And you know, if Moms hadn't been pitching cards all these years, they wouldn't be nearly as valuable.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Great story, Frank. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Old person...BM...I was thinking something other than Baseball Magazine and wondering why you asked him about that.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Mom left my cards from the late 50's alone (I disposed of them in 1963 by selling "bricks" of nrmt of 100 for like a quarter each, no matter how many Mantles were in the brick.
BUT my mom threw out the Fantastic Four #2-30 and Spiderman #1-30 along with tons of other nrmt silver age comics I had accumulated, while I was off in college. I showed a few years ago what an almost mint condition Amazing Spiderman #1 was going for these days and she just smiled and said, well, we needed the room

Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Frank and Bob - great stories!

I would like to know more about how these cards were produced (T222s or the T200s)....
they are actual photographs - so I have to assume very small runs for these cards?

Its not like a printing press where you could print thousands every minute.

These things had to be developed.... and I don't think they had a quick way of doing it back then...
no One-Hour-Photo service that I know of.

Anyone have info on their production?
(sounds like a great question for cycleback.)

The answer to how they were produced may help us track down why the teams Jason mentioned were left out.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Great point, Joe. I didn't even consider how they were produced.