NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Chris Moore

Default New Member Intro!

Hi all - I am a new member to the forums as of today, so I wanted to give a quick intro before I get involved. I think the overall outline of my story is pretty common, but I'd like to share anyway. It's a bit long and might seem like I'm rambling, but it comes back to make sense at the end, and accurately describes the collector I am today.

I started collecting as a kid, probably around 1987 (there seems to be a big difference in the amount of 1986 cards and 1987 cards in my collection, so that's my deduction). I grew up in Texas and Ruben Sierra was my favorite player as a kid. One of my first cards is the 1987 Topps Ruben Sierra record breaker, which I thought was AWESOME and it even has my birthday on the back of the card (the date he hit 2 HRs in one game - one from the left and one from the right). I still have this card, in a top loader. It's not in great shape, but I really couldn't care less. My favorite player changed a few times over the next several years, as I learned more about the sport and the hobby. Jose Canseco, then Rickey Henderson, then Kirby Puckett, Frank Thomas, and eventually Ken Griffey Jr. That one stuck.

My first real best friend - his name was Matt - was also into collecting cards. I have many amazing memories with Matt, lots of them having to do with collecting. We would look for loose change in couch cushions and outside in the streets, do random chores for our parents and neighbors - anything we could to get a couple of dollars and run down to the nearest gas station to spend our hard-earned money on a pack of cards. Upper Deck came out with their first set that year, and there was of course the great chase for the 89 Fleer Billy Ripken f*ckface card. Those were such fun times. Now we look back on that era and we call it "junk" (as my screen name indicates), but I absolutely loved collecting during that time.

One story that sticks out to me had to do with Ken Griffey Jr's 89 Donruss Rated Rookie. Matt had been lucky enough to pull one from a pack... I REALLY wanted it. We made a trade. I gave him FIVE Jose Cansecos from my prized Canseco binder for that one card. It was a blockbuster trade. A few days later, he had some remorse about it. He wanted his Griffey Jr RR back... but I didn't want to give it up. It was my new favorite card. He got pretty upset about it - to the point where we stopped talking for a little while. It felt like forever to a 10 year old. I remember the phone ringing one day and my mom telling me Matt was calling for me... I raced to the phone, excited this was behind us and ready to come over to his house to play sock-wars, throw the ball, and trade some cards. However, his tone was not the one I expected.. he was still upset, and offered the Cansecos back PLUS a McGwire to sweeten the deal. I told him I still wanted the card but I'd think about it. Several more days passed. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore, and I called Matt to tell him I'd trade the Griffey back - just wanted to be friends again. We made the swap and went back to our friendship like it never happened.

I moved away from Matt a little later, and without email and facebook, it was hard to stay in touch. I visited a few times, but we became teenagers and got interested in girls and cars and other things, and eventually grew apart. I packed up my collection into boxes and moved on. College came and went, got married, had kids, the whole thing. Then, when facebook did come around, I found my old friend Matt. We reconnected on Facebook and sent a few messages back and forth. He was also married and had 2 kids of his own. I never reached out to Matt. I really wish I had.

About a year later after reconnecting, I heard from a mutual friend that Matt had passed away. Sadly, he had taken his own life. I had no idea he was troubled. It shocked me. I had so many questions, and regrets. Why didn't I make more effort to reach out? Could it have made a difference? I hated that I'd never know. His dead reached out to me. We exchanged a few emails. More time passed, and while I never understood what had happened, I let his memory fade (again) - this time out of necessity.

Last year, back in the summer, I started thinking about Matt again. I don't know what prompted it, but he was on my mind. I reached out to his mom and dad again, and had some very meaningful conversations with each of them. I felt sad that he was gone, but I was glad to reconnect with his family. I pulled out my collection from the attic, decided to go through it and let the nostalgia take me down memory lane. I found an 89 Donruss Rafael Palmeiro - Matt had given me that card when I fed his dogs and cats while they were out on vacation one week. I put it in a penny sleeve and top-loader. Then I started organizing more and more. Going through my thousands of cards, sorting them by set and number, loading some into binders and some into boxes. I found all of my Griffey's and was happy to see those again. I noticed one card that was not in my collection... the 89 Donruss Rated Rookie - the one I had traded back to Matt to restore our friendship. I wanted it. I had to have it. Being out of the hobby for 23 years meant I had no idea the best place to get it. I looked up card shops in my area, only to find that they've basically all closed down. I did find one (now my absolute favorite place to go), and rushed down there to look for one. He did have 1... it was part of a cello rack pack (on the top). I bought it and rushed back home. This started the rebirth of the hobby for me.

I found some more online. And at a card show. I started buying them whenever I saw them. It's my tribute to Matt, and a way of keeping his memory fresh in my mind. It might be too late to grab a beer and talk baseball, but he won't fade from my memory again. I now have 35 of the Griffey Rated Rookies, including one PSA 10.

So it's been about 8 months since I got back into the hobby, and I absolutely am just as addicted as I was back in 1989. As my name indicates, I love junk wax. I won't ever stop loving junk wax - it's what got me started. I don't care too much about value (I don't sell any cards), so it's just what I like as a collector. I have recently started to get into vintage as well, which is what drew me to this page. I've seen it mentioned a few times in a FB group that I'm in, so I decided to check it out. I love the discussions in here, and I'm excited get involved with this group. I have a LONG way to go to catch up with most of you guys here when it comes to vintage... just getting started. I recently picked up a handful of Banks, Aaron, Mays, and Mantle cards from the 50s and 60s. I'm in love with them all over again.

I'll wrap this up now.. honestly I could keep going on and on but I'll save some of it for other posts. Thanks for welcoming me into the group!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:43 PM
K!ya S@bet

Welcome to the board...great resource!

Also next time you post please write a bit more...that was way to short.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Larry

Great story! It took me back to around the very late '80's to 1990, when I started collecting again after being exposed to another attorney in my law firm's office who collected--but I was in my late '30's then! And you're right--while most of those cards of the time we had become very excited about didn't turn out to be much value wise, it was a very, very fun time!

I think vintage will really grab hold of you if you're truly a fan of the game and especially its history, as vintage cards are the history of the game you can hold right in your hands. Another way I like to put it is that vintage cards are a two-dimensional slice of a three-dimensional moment in a player's career--they connect you to the player, and take you back to the time. Another board member put it more artfully, saying something to the tune of "they are near-sacred relics that enable the collector to physically connect with the game's heroes and traditions."

May all your collecting adventures be thrilling and satisfying,

Larry
Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 PM
A.J. Johnson

very sorry about your friend. But glad you made your way here and thanks for sharing your story. I think collecting for many allows us to go back to a simpler time when we were kids and remember the good times we shared with family and friends and of course our beloved cardboard stars.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Chris Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Another way I like to put it is that vintage cards are a two-dimensional slice of a three-dimensional moment in a player's career--they connect you to the player, and take you back to the time.
I love this! That's an awesome way to put it... and I definitely get that vibe when I hold any of my baseball cards. I would especially say that's true for vintage cards... I don't own any prior to 1952... and I have a lot to fill in from the 50's, 60s, and 70s... slowly working on it!

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:44 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Touching and sad story to hear about your friend. I suddenly want to own a Griffey rated rookie because of this.

Vintage you've come to the right place! Welcome aboard and prepared to get interested in a lot more and discover cards, sets you never knew existed.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to our forum. That was a touching and well written introduction. Matt would be happy.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:17 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Welcome to the board...great resource!

Also next time you post please write a bit more...that was way to short.
Just wanted to add that my comment was in jest and I did enjoy the story. I didn't want context to be unclear.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Chris Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Just wanted to add that my comment was in jest and I did enjoy the story. I didn't want context to be unclear.
No worries - I laughed when I saw your post. Mine was a little long!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome... I've already bought a few cards in the b/s/t section and love browsing through all of the posts. Officially addicted.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:41 PM
James

Default Welcome

Great job telling this story. Welcome back to the hobby and the boards.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 04-06-2016, 03:50 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great intro. Welcome!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Brendan Mullen

Very touching story. But vey interesting. And welcome...
Old 04-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Andy S@ld@n@

Great story and sorry to hear about your friend. I started collecting around that time and I know I am in the minority, but I am a big fan of the wood grain bordered sets like the 1962 and 1987 Topps just because that is when I started buying packs and chewing that 15 second gum back in 87. It definitely takes me back to my childhood when i just flip thru those cards. I love the junk era and realize there is not much value but its definitely a time machine of sorts for me. Welcome to the board.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Awesome story!
I'm from the same era/time frame and have a very similar story to yours.

I've been back in the hobby for exactly one year..
I'm all t206 and pre war now but I've still got all of my griffey's, frank Thomas'
Piazza's.... And yes... My Phil plantier's and Brien Taylor's/Carlos delgado's

Awesome memories.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Great story! Thanks for sharing it, and welcome to the site.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Bill Gregory

junkwaxjunkie,

First off, welcome to the forum. I think you will greatly enjoy this place, and as I often tell people, you will get out of it what you put into it. The people here are friendly, and knowledgeable. If you want to learn about vintage, or pre-war, especially, this is a great place to frequent.

Your story about your friend, Matt, is touching. It never ceases to amaze me how so many of our lives, and friendships, have revolved around baseball, and baseball cards. I have a similar story of my own. One of my best friends growing up in Waukesha, WI was Carl Zach. We'd sit up in his room as kids, and trade cards. We'd watch games on tv during the weekend. We played on WPR (Waukesha Park and Rec) teams together. I will never forget the time I helped Carl, who was a fierce hitter at age 13 with a killer arm, warm up to pitch during a practice. I squatted down at the field's home plate, with my second baseman's glove (I played second and right field), and waited for Carl's first pitch. Zip. A perfect strike, right down the pipe. My had stung like mad! Next pitch, Carl decided to try a curveball that he'd been working on. The ball hit the plate, and then skipped past my glove, nailing me in a place where I most certainly did not have a cup. I crumbled on the ground, looked up, and saw Carl, with a facial expression that was equal parts "I'm sorry" and "wow, did you see that ball dip?" I ended up moving to Texas in 1989, right after my junior year of high school. Again, this was before Facebook, and the internet had not really gotten going yet. We lost touch for the most part, though I did make it back up to Wisconsin a few times to visit with friends. On July 4th, 2000, Carl lost his life in a biking accident. He was leading the race, in the home stretch closing on the finish line with his head down, pushing the peddles as fast as he could. He never saw the ambulance that had inexplicably backed out into the oncoming racers. When my parents told me the news, I was devastated. Carl has one of the biggest hearts I've ever known. He would give you the shirt off his back without hesitation. Now, these years later, I've reconnected with his mom, and his two sisters. Now, the Carl Zach Classic is held in Waukesha every year. Ten races in total, ending with a professional-level 90 minute race, showcase the best riders in the Midwest. I think about him all the time, and he was one of the main reasons I started collecting again. I'd collected passionately as a teen, but within a few years of moving to Texas, I'd stopped. College, working, dating, and spending time with my friends took up all my time. One day not long ago, I decided to pull out an old baseball card binder on a whim, and I felt the urge to collect again. I remembered how much fun I'd had as a kid collecting and trading with Carl and my other friends. Where was it written that I couldn't do the same as an adult?

So, there it is. Like you, I remember wanting a few cards in particular back then, only I wasn't able to work out a trade, because I wasn't going to take a card from a friend if they only had the one. I wanted Carl's late 70s Robin Younts so badly. The 1980 Topps Yount was my favorite card for the longest of time. So, when I began collecting again, I made it a priority to get those cards that I didn't have as a kid. And, of course, I have my 1980 Topps Robin Yount.

It's funny that you mention Ruben Sierra. When I moved to Texas, he became my favorite Ranger. Yount and Roberto Clemente have long been my favorite two players, and I read that Ruben Sierra was a big Clemente fan. He wore the same #21 Roberto had, played right field, and he could drive the ball all over the field. And Sierra grew up a few blocks from the Clemente home in Puerto Rico, and knew Vera Clemente and Roberto's sons well. The first card I bought when I moved to Texas was Sierra's 1988 Mothers Cookies card. Seeing your post made me break out my card binder. I flipped through a few pages of Packers to my baseball cards, and there it was.

It's not often that I'm inspired to scan a card from that binder, but here it is.

It goes without saying, though, that I wasn't too upset when Robin beat Ruben Sierra out for the 1989 AL MVP.

Anyway, again, welcome aboard. If there's anything I can do to help you get settled in, please don't hesitate to ask. Send me a private message whenever you like.

Have fun!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Chris Moore

Bill (the 'stache):

Wow - thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm sorry you lost your friend. He sounds like a great guy and it's awesome you have such cool memories with him as a child. I read your story several times... it's really amazing to me how similar our stories are.

Quote:
I remembered how much fun I'd had as a kid collecting and trading with Carl and my other friends. Where was it written that I couldn't do the same as an adult?
I totally agree with this sentiment! I've had so much fun diving back into the hobby, and I've even gotten my wife into a bit - another thing we can share interest in and bond over. Bonus - she's really only into players she knew from our childhood, so the junk wax she collects is super cheap! She has a lot of 89 Kirby Puckett's

I didn't know Ruben was such a big Clemente fan - that's pretty awesome! Ruben was my favorite for several years, and now I'm collecting Clemente's! Although Ruben's cards don't hold any value, I have all of them penny-sleeved and in a 3-ring binder. They have a special place in my collection.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the awesome story!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Bill

Come on in, the water's fine!