NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How many copies of this guide would you order at $49.95 + shipping
1 22 88.00%
2 1 4.00%
3 0 0%
4 1 4.00%
5 or more 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2015, 04:04 AM
Phil Garry

Default 4-Sport Hall of Fame Rookie Cards Guide

In conjunction with my previous thread on this subject, the book is all ready to be published and I have been waiting on advertising dollars to help cover my printing costs. I have gotten some of the money needed but am still well short of my original goal.

In order to still make this project a "go" and have the books in hand for shipping during June, I would need to be at a price point of $49.95 per copy + $6.10 for USPS Priority Mailing. In order to gauge sales at this level, please respond to this poll and let me know the number of copies that you would purchase.

I will have a proof copy of the book in hand later today and will post pics of the front cover and sample pages. I would like to thank everyone for their continued support to make this project a success.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 05-10-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Phil Garry

Can the individual who responded that they would like to order 5 or more copies please send me a PM to confirm?

Thank you
Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Rich Klein

Phil:

Nothing personal but I think you would also want to note how many people would NOT want to buy a book at $49.95 each. I think you'd be amazed at that price point as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Phil Garry

Yeah, I know, Rich. Probably a lot more than the number of people that DO want to buy at that price.

I believe that my previous Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide was priced very fairly at $29.95 and I never had one person indicate that they thought it was too expensive for the material that they received.

This 4-Sport guide is approximately 70 pages longer and thus will cost me an additional $5.00 per copy from my printer, which is very fair, and left me with a planned price point of $34.95, which I don't think anyone would mind paying for all that they will receive with this guide.

Having not been able to raise the necessary advertising money to fund this project, it was requested by several potential buyers that they would be willing to pay well over my advertised sale price for the book and maybe many others would as well in order to make up the lost funds.

Based on the poll and feedback that I have seen thus far, there is not enough interest at the $49.95 price point to make things work. So, it appears that I must continue to solicit more advertising pages and the release of the book will remain on hold until enough funds are raised.

Another issue that I will run into, probably sooner rather than later, is when I exhaust the number of sales at the higher $49.95 price and still have many, many copies of the book left, I will have to reduce the price to sell more copies and that's really not going to be fair to those that paid more for it and I'm probably going to receive undue criticism for that as well.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 05-11-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 AM

Have you considered kickstarter.com? Just a thought...
Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Have you considered kickstarter.com? Just a thought...
Beat me to it. I would give $60-$75 to kickstarter to help a fellow board member and acquire a seemingly great resource.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Why not offer it in color and also in B & W via a print on demand publisher and let the buyers decide what they want to spend?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks for mentioning the ideas, guys.

I just checked the Kickstarter.com website, I don't really understand what it is all about. Can someone summarize in a nutshell?

The on-demand publishing idea has been suggested to me before and, upon checking, the printing costs are always well above what my private printing guy is charging me. I would not consider black and white, it will be a huge detraction from the finished product.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 05-11-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post

I just checked the Kickstarter.com website, I don't really understand what it is all about. Can someone summarize in a nutshell?

The on-demand publishing idea has been suggested to me before and, upon checking, the printing costs are always well above what my private printing guy is charging me. I would not consider black and white, it will be a huge detraction from the finished product.
It's used for crowd-funding. Strangers or friends will give you $ to help you fund your project.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:

You can set a minimum donation but people could give more. So if you donate you get a book etc. It is usually tiered so different donation levels get different guaranteed rewards.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Phil Garry

Thanks, guys. I don't think I am going to get involved in that.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Rich Klein

I'll send you an email or PM with a different suggestion. I think I can make this work for you

Rich
Old 05-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I don't think I am going to get involved in that.
IMO, nothing personal, but this is pretty weak effort.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
IMO, nothing personal, but this is pretty weak effort.
Well played.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.