NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Burbank Sportscards and others

I get so sick and tired of these dealers selling T206 reprints on Ebay, and clogging up the whole thread. Why in the hell can't there be a different category for this nonsense??
Old 06-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Scott Hunter

Default T206 Reprints

You are spot on! In addition to the hundreds of reprints being offered, they offer catalog representation photographs of the card that you are bidding on instead of the exact card. No Thanks. If I wanted a surprise I would purchase boxes of Cracker Jacks. This is why I try to do business with Net54 members every chance that I get on B/S/T.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Doug Goodman

Prior to their website coming into existence, BBSC was one of the top 5 card stores in the country. I feel like I can make that declaration based on my visits to hundreds of stores all over the country. The other top 5 were in St Louis, Grand Rapids, Denver and I forget the other.

They had thousands of boxes of cards, most sorted by number for every imaginable year of all the major issues. They were by far the best store for trying to find weird Topps baseball variations, especially when it involved the backs, because they had so many cards. And they were up the street from my house, so they were the perfect store.

Then they started their website, and moved their building, and made it so only their staff could look in the boxes. Even when you went into the store, they had you enter the cards you were looking for on a computer set up in the small public area, then they would bring you a selection of that card for you to choose from.

They instantly went from by far the best, to not even on the list, and they didn't care at all. Happy to sell to the online purchaser who took what he was given, as opposed to a local walk in customer who had opinions.

And every picture on their website was stock.

After spending thousands of dollars with them for cards and supplies, they basically told me they didn't need me as a customer. So I have never been back, preferring to pay shipping for supplies than to give my money to a local business who don't care about my money, because it's small potatoes compared to their internet sales.

They don't care that they are clogging up your ebay searches, because some people buy their items because of it, so they win, and the real baseball collector loses.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 06-28-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

According to ebay, they have over 2 MILLION listings. That's a lot of scanning, if nothing else.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=...scards&_sop=10

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Dave Foster

May have the same biz philosophy as United: "Treat the paying customers like s**t."
Old 05-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I use Burbank as my source for any modern cards I may want - very dependable dealer within that area...no vintage, but I have, on occasion, purchased 'art cards' if they are a 'new' photo and have 'legit' card backs.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default I Am Sad To....

....hear of the decline of service and customer service ethic at Burbank. In the early to late 1990s they were terrific. There was a young guy and his Mom that were the movers and shakers there. Very nice people to talk to and do business with. They sold my wife cards as birthday & Christmas presents based on my previous purchases and her description of my focus on Chicago sports. I have a Charlie Trippi card from them that I treasure. The young guy told my wife "If he doesn't like it he can shave with it because it is so perfect". They never failed to deliver nice vintage material (Early '50's) in an honest and straight forward manor. "Oh well"...as a friend used to say when disappointed.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
According to ebay, they have over 2 MILLION listings. That's a lot of scanning, if nothing else.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=...scards&_sop=10

I believe they use "stock" photos, as opposed to scanning every single card. They may have hundreds of examples of a particular card, but they scan only one of the copies, and use that scan for every listing of a copy of that card.

I haven't bought from them in a couple of years, but when I have, I've always received outstanding service.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 05-12-2017, 02:59 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post

I haven't bought from them in a couple of years, but when I have, I've always received outstanding service.

Steve
I buy from them now & then & have never had a problem. The cards come quick & are packaged well.
Wouldn't hesitate to deal w/ them again.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

My biggest issue with Burbank is if it's a serial numbered card, they don't tell you the actual number it is. Some details are actually important to some of us. Otherwise, I have all my saved searches with a -reprint added to the search line. It weeds out most but not all.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Mike

How does that work when you have "Millions" of items on ebay. Anchor stores get 10,000 free per month. Do they have to pay for all the listings over 10,000 each month ? That would be a lot of listing fees. Does anyone know ?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
How does that work when you have "Millions" of items on ebay. Anchor stores get 10,000 free per month. Do they have to pay for all the listings over 10,000 each month ? That would be a lot of listing fees. Does anyone know ?
Burbank SC is one of the "pioneers" of Beckett Business Solutions....it allows them to list millions of cards at a low cost due to the negotiated deal between ebay and BBS. Here is a 3 year old post with the details of the BBS offer (it may have changed since):

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=205407
Old 05-14-2017, 02:05 AM
Kyl&.. L&ntin&

Default ye[

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Prior to their website coming into existence, BBSC was one of the top 5 card stores in the country. I feel like I can make that declaration based on my visits to hundreds of stores all over the country. The other top 5 were in St Louis, Grand Rapids, Denver and I forget the other.

They had thousands of boxes of cards, most sorted by number for every imaginable year of all the major issues. They were by far the best store for trying to find weird Topps baseball variations, especially when it involved the backs, because they had so many cards. And they were up the street from my house, so they were the perfect store.

Then they started their website, and moved their building, and made it so only their staff could look in the boxes. Even when you went into the store, they had you enter the cards you were looking for on a computer set up in the small public area, then they would bring you a selection of that card for you to choose from.

They instantly went from by far the best, to not even on the list, and they didn't care at all. Happy to sell to the online purchaser who took what he was given, as opposed to a local walk in customer who had opinions.

And every picture on their website was stock.

After spending thousands of dollars with them for cards and supplies, they basically told me they didn't need me as a customer. So I have never been back, preferring to pay shipping for supplies than to give my money to a local business who don't care about my money, because it's small potatoes compared to their internet sales.

They don't care that they are clogging up your ebay searches, because some people buy their items because of it, so they win, and the real baseball collector loses.

Doug
yep totally agree...loved that store bought a lot of topps sets when they were burbank coins and sports cards.. they let you go through the boxes and pick the cards you wanted..when they move across the street thing changed drastically...also went in once and told myself never again
Old 05-14-2017, 04:42 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I was shopping for some football card variations at Burbank Sportscards and found several hits. When the cards arrived they were not the cards pictured. Then I read the small print that Burbank Sportscards uses stock photos. My question is, if they use stock photos, why does the stock photo often depict the variation? Customer service offered a speedy and full refund, but it was such a small amount I just said forget it.
Larry Tipton
Old 05-14-2017, 04:42 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Just to be devil's advocate for a moment- This is a general statement, not specifically directed at Burbank specifically.

Once the online market got to a certain point, it becomes necessary to have an always-current online inventory.

That is impossible to maintain if you are still set up to do business in brick and mortar.

I have had occasion to try to deal with someone who did not set that as a high priority and they quickly lost my business.

Obviously, the online market is much larger than even the most loyal walk-in buyers...and so it goes...

The use of stock card photos is something I avoid on vintage cards, but have no big issue with using them for the modern cards...as long as the seller accepts returns.

This, of course, is common knowledge - just stating a reminder.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Once the online market got to a certain point, it becomes necessary to have an always-current online inventory.

That is impossible to maintain if you are still set up to do business in brick and mortar.
I respectfully disagree.

They obviously keep track of their inventory via software on a computer, so they could easily remove from inventory purchases from their brick & mortar store the same way they do it for an online customer. Card by card. As they sell. Easy.

They made a business decision that dealing with a customer such as myself in person, who wants specific cards in specific conditions, with specific variations, isn't worth their time for the money I would spend.

I wasn't happy about their decision, so I stopped spending any money with them.

I am speaking about Burbank specifically, but my point is still valid as a general statement.

When I have the option as a customer to not do business with a company who I believe doesn't treat me with the minimum amount of respect that I deserve, I then stop doing business with them.

That is why I haven't been in Dodger Stadium for more than seven years (and counting), even though I'm a life long Dodgers fan, and former season ticket holder, who doesn't get the right channels to watch them on TV. I root for them to win, but have given them none of my money since 2010, and plan on giving them the same amount during upcoming seasons.

I'm typing this while sitting on a United Airlines flight, running the risk of being dragged from the plane, if I piss them off, but they were the only airline that flies the route I need at the time I need, so I'm keeping my head down and praying for my checked bag to be waiting at the other end.

Doug "ranting" Goodman
Old 05-15-2017, 07:09 AM

Quick Question: Who are your "Top Five" that carries a similar level of inventory as Burbank?