NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: If you buy something on BST How/When do you pay?
You pay before cards are sent 141 94.63%
You pay after cards are received 0 0%
You use a 3rd party intermediary to ensure deal happens - especially on high value transactions. 2 1.34%
Other 6 4.03%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Question on BST method of payment

I recently had a BST deal go bad with a since banned member. I had put a WTB and he responded. He was primarily a lurker and hadn't posted regularly for several years.

I am doing somewhat of an after action review trying to figure out what I could have done to prevent this happening to me in the future. Where I think I could have protected myself better is that I paid first. Long story, but 3 HOFers were missing, I attempted to contact him. It has been two months, he has gone radio silent after telling me to purchase them and he would reimburse for the amount. So, I am out about $125 on a $1500 deal. I did searches and bought on auction for similarly graded cards. I even told him when I sent the note that if he felt that I over bought or was not comfortable with the amount then let me know - or heck, just pay what he thought was fair - still silent.

I have always paid first as that is what I do on Ebay. I have had nothing but good luck on this board other than this deal, so I have never even thought twice about it. I usually send F&F. In this case, he insisted on a cashier's check and I had no problem sending it. I was even travelling last month and near where he lived and volunteered to drive by (as he originally said that he had the three cards and would find them and send them) I offered to drive by to collect them save postage and hassle... radio silence.

This is yet another $125 lesson. I try to assume the best in people and it ends up costing me money on occasion. I don't see myself walking away from the BST because I have had so many good experiences and picked up some great cards without paying AH juice. I guess I just need to know what the standard is. If I ask for cards to be sent before payment is that going to be a show stopper? I am a bit jaded at this point so I just want to protect myself in the future as I feel like a big sucker after this.

Thanks for any feedback...

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 05-02-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Ben North

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Normal payment method would be send $ first, then when the seller receives it cards are sent.

Personally I have bought/received cards in about every way imaginable on this site. I normally send pictures of famous dead people TTM as payment. Some wait till they receive payment and some send as soon as I say I will take it because I have done several deals with them. I have had a few bumps along the way but they all worked out in the end privately without any drama.
C@rl P@rk

Personally I would have to know someone well and/or done business with them a few times before I would ship cards without payment first. That's a tough one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Kyle May

Did you pay with PayPal Goods & Services?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 05-02-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Did you pay with PayPal Goods & Services?
No, he asked for Cashier's check and that is how I paid.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Sorry about your bad deal. He's banned and unfortunately you're just going to have to eat it and move on. Kevin, you and I have done deals before and you are one of guys that make this board great. Don't let one bad apple ruin it for you.

I would like his name though to avoid him outside of Net54
Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

To date, I have never had a bad BST transaction. I would rather buy from the members here than just about anywhere else. In fact, I made some nice purchases this weekend that I am looking to arrive this week. Each time, I have paid first, then the seller shipped the cards. Like someone else mentioned, I would have to have done quite a bit of business with someone before I would ship before receiving payment. I am sorry this happened to you, and like David, I would like to know who this is so that I can avoid him elsewhere.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-02-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Sorry about your bad deal. He's banned and unfortunately you're just going to have to eat it and move on. Kevin, you and I have done deals before and you are one of guys that make this board great. Don't let one bad apple ruin it for you.

I would like his name though to avoid him outside of Net54
David,
I really appreciate the kind words. I still remember the '72's and I glad that you were satisfied with how the deal went down.

I will send you a PM with his information. I am having a tough time processing because he was so nice and engaging whenever we communicated. He is an accountant and was going through a very busy season, so I waited until an extra long time to give him the benefit of the doubt. Now that he won't respond to me or any of the backup artillery from the fine folks that run the board, I actually worry that something happened to him. $1500 was a fair price and he probably got the better of the deal. If I felt that I got a huge discount, I probably would have just chalked it up, but it was a fair price paid, so I wanted the extra three so I am not totally backwards in the set.

At this point, I actually worry that something happened to him because I don't think a reputation is worth $125 - so I think that something could have happened that kept him from email for the last month. And if things were so tight that he needed my $125 to eat, then I wish him well and hope he gets through whatever season he is in.

I think my problem is also going the "WTB" route versus just responding to what is for sale. The challenge is that as I fill out my collection my want list gets smaller so I have more success with WTB in the BST section - however, unfortunately, this is the downside.

Take Care

Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Justin

I have sent cards first a couple times with established members I felt comfortable with, but typically money is sent first. Sorry to hear this happen.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I've always sent the PP out first. Granted, I'm not buying hugely expensive cards, but there has always been a good level of comfort with transactions here. Sorry this happened to you.

Can you post the user's name, so we can be aware of this guy??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I've always sent the PP out first. Granted, I'm not buying hugely expensive cards, but there has always been a good level of comfort with transactions here. Sorry this happened to you.

Can you post the user's name, so we can be aware of this guy??
I'll send you a PM (as well as anyone who requests) in the 1/1,000,000% chance that something bad happened that forced him to go dark. He has been banned so there is no risk on the BST but I understand fear of a similar deal on another board or ebay.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

A real bummer to hear about your bad experience. I always check to see how active a member is here before deciding on how to pay. If I buy a card I send the money right away and if I feel comfortable enough with them I send friends and family and if not regular PP. If someone requests a check or money order I make sure that they have a history of positive transactions.

I have purchased and sold here and have not had any troubles with any of the transactions. Some great members and would encourage you to not let this bad transaction get in the way of future ones.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 PM

With transactions on here and other boards I've always paid first and usually by PayPal - Goods & Services to protect myself and anyone else involved in the transaction.

The 3% really isn't that big of a deal to me on either side of the transaction and is more that reasonable, IMHO, for the assurance that I'm covered in case something happens.

I've also been paid in a large transaction on here via Friend's & Family, but I'm also sure that person checked with Leon about me just like I did about him to make sure I was dealing with a legit/honest person.

It's all about CYA and doing that does sometimes costs a bit more, but that's just part of doing business.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!

Last edited by ngnichols; 05-02-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Jason Wells

I have always sent first. There have been instances where the member has sent the cards before the mailed payment arrives. No problems for me on the BST knock on wood.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Steven

It is a tough call, but posting WTB threads is great way to get some things you want.

Research your people, get references, use pp goods and cya like someone else said. I have been burned much more by potentials buyers than sellers here though, people that never pay and just go silent and I have to relist everything so I stopped that and leave all ads in place until I have the money. Good luck in the future.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Kev1n @1les

This story has a happy ending and I am glad that I followed my instincts.

David, Darren and a couple of others that reached out on PM - I was going to send a note to you personally, but I a major PM purge before Leon upped the limit to 400. I wanted to publicly let you know all is resolved.

My transaction partner had a major illness last month and was away from the computer. He responded to me early in the week and we have since made good on the deal.

Thanks to everyone for your response and support in the thread. The key question that I had about how to handle BST in the future has been verified as well as the generally accepted way of doing business is pay first and assume that the product will come as promised. To those of you who I have had successful deals - know that I tend to lead with my chin and will get product out ASAP as soon as we have an agreed to deal.

Quote:
At this point, I actually worry that something happened to him because I don't think a reputation is worth $125 - so I think that something could have happened that kept him from email for the last month.
Quote:
I'll send you a PM (as well as anyone who requests) in the 1/1,000,000% chance that something bad happened that forced him to go dark.

Last edited by kailes2872; 05-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
This story has a happy ending and I am glad that I followed my instincts.

David, Darren and a couple of others that reached out on PM - I was going to send a note to you personally, but I a major PM purge before Leon upped the limit to 400. I wanted to publicly let you know all is resolved.

My transaction partner had a major illness last month and was away from the computer. He responded to me early in the week and we have since made good on the deal.

Thanks to everyone for your response and support in the thread. The key question that I had about how to handle BST in the future has been verified as well as the generally accepted way of doing business is pay first and assume that the product will come as promised. To those of you who I have had successful deals - know that I tend to lead with my chin and will get product out ASAP as soon as we have an agreed to deal.
Great to hear everything got resolved. Also wish the other member a speedy recovery.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:43 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Kevin, glad to know everything ended up well for all involved. Thanks for letting us know.