NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default Our first vist to Fenway

Posted By: bill latzko

My 14 yr old son -he is a Sox fan and lives in Ky.- is on a field trip to Boston with 32 8th grade classmates--one of the parents is in the ticket business and got all 35 tickets to last night's game. I am going to visit my Mom in Boston in 3 weeks and got tickets to the Twins -Red Sox game. I'm so excited that I feel like a Muslim going to Mecca!!!!!Having grown up in Silver Spring , Md. ,my childhood games were at old Griffith Stadium rooting for Harmon Killebrew, Jim Lemon etc.That's so long ago it FEELS like vintage!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

Awesome city,Boston. Fenway is great! Enjoy your visit with your son!

I love going there as much as possible,fortunately haven't been there in 2 years! Make sure you go to Fanueil Hall,Old North Church,etc etc etc

Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Bill,

If you get a chance, take the daytime tour of Fenway Park. It's really something walking around the empty ballpark, visiting the press box and siiting on top of the Green Monster. It's well worth the price of admission ...

Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I was nine years old when I first went to Fenway; Roger Clemens got his 20 Strikeouts that day. I get to about 6 games a year and always look forward to going. At Fenway you really feel like you are part of the game, you can see everything from any seat, except if there is a post in front of you. I even had my bachelor party at Fenway. If you get a chance, Boston is a great city to walk and there is so much to do. The Boston Museum of Science is having a great exhibit starting June 15th - "Baseball as America" - Hall of Fame members just gathered some great Red Sox memorabilia last night from Manny, Lester and Jason Varitek for the exhibit. I hope you really enjoy the game and city.

Jimmy

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

I've always enjoyed going to the Baseball Tavern, great memorabilia in the Nuff Ced 3rd Base tradition. ( a frosty pint is well appreciated also )

Rawn

Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

And try Durgin Park for great lobster and beef.
=

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I work in Silver Spring. There are 5 times the amount of Red Sox fans here (including DC and Northern Virginia) that Nats fans. Those Sox sure now how to market themselves! Hope you enjoy your game.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bernie

Every year for father's day I get my dad and my grandfather tickets to a Sox game at Fenway, usually grandstand or loge box seats so we have a good view, always a Tuesday night. They live in RI and I live here in Mass so they drive up and meet me for lunch at the Union Oyster House. We polish off a few dozen oysters, some shrimp cocktail, chowda and a few Bass Ales then head over toward Fenway. A few drinks, some stories and lots of laughs at The Cask 'n' Flagon and the Baseball Tavern then into the Fenway for batting practice at 5:05. I still can't believe how green it is in there. Once BP is over around 6:15 we head out onto Yawkey Way for some grub. 7:05 we're in our seats ready to root for and against the Sox (my grandfather's been a Sox fan since the late 30's/early 40's and grew up idolizing Ted Williams ... back then, as he calls it, "when it was a game" ... my dad and I are Yankees fans for some silly reason). Anyway, we've seen some good games over the years, last year we saw the Sox come back with 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th off of Tampa Bay closer Al Reyes to win 2-1 on a Coco Crisp single that scored Jason Varitek. Mike Lowell preceeded that single with a solo shot into the Monster seats which we saw straight on as we sat in grandstand section 16 row 8 on the first base side of home plate. After the game we funneled out onto Yawkey Way with the other 35,000 people who were in a buzz from the dramatics of the walk-off win. We found our way to Copperfields for a drink as we let traffic clear out a bit (and also because that seems to be the only place my grandfather can get a glass of scotch around Fenway). While there we checked out some of the pictures on the wall trying to figure out who all the old time players were. We were stumped by a picture directly behind the bar of Ted Williams, Dom Dimaggio and another unrecognizable player each down on one knee. It wasn't Doerr or Pesky, but we never figured it out. Maybe this year when we head to the Tuesday July 29th game against the Angels we will

Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I LOVE Silver Spring. Always have. Maybe the next Wash, DC area meet-up should be in Silver Spring ?

Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Bill,

That's awesome! Fenway is still on my bucket list but I will be going to my first Wrigley game during the National. I grew up in ALexandria and share similar memories of my first games at Griffith stadium, the very first of which was a double-header against the Yanks in 59. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Harmon Killibrew. The best part of the conversation for me was sharing memories with him of the smell of Wonder Bread baking in their facility next to the stadium.

Ken

Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

I am fortunate enough to be a Sox season ticket holder since 2003 - 3rd row of the bleachers right behind the Red Sox bullpen. I love the experience every time!

They just opened a new bar about two weeks ago which is basically IN the center field wall! I haven't been in there yet but saw in from outside, and it looks like if you get there early enough, you can watch the game from field level in center field without a ticket! Think San Francisco's area in right field, where you can see onto the field behind the right fielder.

Shockingly, the Sox haven't promoted this new bar much yet, but I imagine it will be a huge hit, so be sure to visit!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Scott,

I've been a season ticket holder since 2003 as well, same bleacher section right behind the sox bullpen, row 8. Is that bar in centerfield open during the game or just before and after ? I thought they closed the garage door once the game started.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Good question Bernie, I'm not sure - I've seen it open before and after games on my way in and out, but I guess I've never been outside the park to see if it's open during games. Probably worth finding out though!

What section are you in - 40 or 41? I'm in Section 40, and my Row 3 is actually now the first row, now that they added the handicap aisle and took out the first two rows during the off-season!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

section 41, row 8