NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Paul

Default SGC and the Grading Company Employee

When you start working for a grading company, you were probably a collector first. But when you go work for a grading company, you ought to freeze your collection -- at least with respect to material graded by your company; and, if not, then at least with respect to sales. That just seems like common sense, no?

If I purchase an SGC-graded card and it turns out it was previously owned by an SGC employee, that is a fact I would like to know prior to my purchase.

What am I missing?

I have been a loyal SGC customer, proponent, follower, etc. for about 5 years now. Some of the best people I know in the hobby are the employees of SGC. Brian, Michael, Sean and Bob -- the SGC guys that I have dealt with personally -- have worked tirelessly to build a customer base as strong as it is today. And they have done so with a great product and exceptional customer service that is better than just about any industry I have ever encountered. The proof is in the support they have garnered with the vintage collector.

But all of SGC's customers and employees would feel far more secure if its employees, owners and operators did not buy or sell -- though sell raises a brighter red flag than a purchase -- SGC material while they were affiliated with the company. And if a rare circumstance required a break from that policy -- at least from a sale standpoint -- a full disclosure should be made. Otherwise the appearance of impropriety only threatens the value of all of our SGC-graded cards.

Graded card companies are not just selling a product. They are creating a liquid asset. They should do everything in their power to maximize the value of those assets. To not sacrifice one's own collecting interests -- as an employee, owner or operator of that company -- for the good of the owners of those assets is an unnecessary and, frankly, selfish risk.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 AM

I agree, I would like to know if it was an employee's card as they use more heat when sealing those and they are a bitch to pop open! I need the table saw on the employee graded ones.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I agree that Sean and Michael are great guys and class acts.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Buying too

I am just as concerned about the buying of cards by grading company employees. Who would be in more of a position to know that a graded card would receive a higher grade the next time around, than the employee that graded the card and noted the cert #?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Jason Berry

I have to admit I'd have a tough time freezing my collection. Of course, I don't buy many cards over the 200us mark. I might resign myself to only buying graded cards and not raw and then getting them graded by my company.

I don't know what I'd do. I'd like to think I'd be honest. I like to think the guys at SGC are honest cats too.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Default my opinion

I may be failing to see the big problem, as I trust the people grading the cards at SGC. I know every employee from Dave Forman on down and I believe that each card they grade is done so on an unbiased basis. I and others I know personally have handed them 5 or 6 figure cards to grade and we go not favors nor disfavors. Each card was graded on the merits of the card and that alone, not whom owned it or consigned it. That being said, I have no problem with them owning a card owned by Dave, as i feel the same unbiased judgement was applied.

If the board members have as much confidence in SGC and their abilities as they have formerly portrayed why would you question the ethics of Derek and his grading team?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Scott--The issue is that an SGC employee and a recent SGC employee gave diametrically different answers as to whether the company would grade Foreman's cards. I think people are just looking for a straight story.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Paul

Default Private vs. Public Trust / Objective vs. Subjective Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
If the board members have as much confidence in SGC and their abilities as they have formerly portrayed why would you question the ethics of Derek and his grading team?
For me it's about protecting the value of the cards from a collecting public that may not know or trust the grading team at SGC as well as many of us do.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Agreed

Jay I agree on that. Perhaps SGC will no be compelled to have a written policy on submitters and clear up the matter.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I wonder why there has been no clarification from SGC.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
At least give them a day to respond. They were already on here yesterday clearing up some things.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Too Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
No time for clarifications when you're busy shredding damning evidence.