NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default What's with e104-1 and "Swift Stamp"

A Harry Davis PSA 3 (MK) just went for surprisingly high bid at eBay, $665. It has a "Swift" stamped on back. Does anyone know that that is? I have seen varying claims that it was a store--or the name of someone who has become known for collecting those cards back then. Does that mean that the card earned a premium for that? Or it got the high price despite the stamp....
Old 06-29-2015, 08:20 AM

I believe it was just the person that lived at that address. It appears to be an apartment building then and now. You can google the address and see the building.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Scott S

I was hoping to pick up the Davis which sold this morning, to go together with the Mack from the same set which I have with the same stamp, but I wasn't going that high on it. Glad to see a nice card draw some strong interest though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e104-1 mack.jpg (75.3 KB, 202 views)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Greg Mitchell

But does "Swift" stamp draw a premium or not?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Scott S

No, shouldn't draw a premium - it's a stamp like any other, which typically would decrease the value. The interest and high bids were in the tough Davis E104-1 World Champ card, not in the stamp.

My interest was also in the card itself, but at the right price (not a premium), I would've like it as a partner to my Mack card with the same stamp. Similar to our T206 Howe McCormack collector - no across-the-board premium to all collectors.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I was hoping to pick up the Davis which sold this morning, to go together with the Mack from the same set which I have with the same stamp, but I wasn't going that high on it. Glad to see a nice card draw some strong interest though!
Dunno if you saw this too---here's a Topsy(looking Tipsy) with a Swift Stamp for your Mack match::::
price does seem way high though::::
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

-D

Last edited by IMAXMAX; 06-29-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAXMAX View Post
Dunno if you saw this too---here's a Topsy(looking Tipsy) with a Swift Stamp for your Mack match::::

-D
It might be a little high but the "Champions" fronts will bring a premium from many collectors, myself included. For edification here are the 3 types of type 1s. Two have blank backs and then one has the Nadja back. In my experiences the Nadja backs are the toughest, followed by the Champions fronts and lastly the most common are blank back and blank front (Thomas below).

ps...to get back to topic too, I don't think the Swift stamp adds or detracts unless the card is high grade (4+) then it probably would affect the value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe104plankthomaskrausex3.jpg (76.7 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It might be a little high but the "Champions" fronts will bring a premium from many collectors, myself included. For edification here are the 3 types of type 1s. Two have blank backs and then one has the Nadja back. In my experiences the Nadja backs are the toughest, followed by the Champions fronts and lastly the most common are blank back and blank front (Thomas below).
Thanks for the info Leon...It's a great looking set of cards,no doubt...
Also,not sure if it's just me or if Topsy may be the GreatGrandFather of
Devo's Booji Boy (?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.3 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by IMAXMAX; 06-29-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAXMAX View Post

-D
Thanks - a little rough and a little high on the price, but it seems like Mr. Swift certainly had a handful of cards from the set!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Thanks - a little rough and a little high on the price, but it seems like Mr. Swift certainly had a handful of cards from the set!
Seems like "little high" is more astute than my earlier estimation of "way high"...
I'm just getting back to old carboard buying after a long respite but seems,overall,that there are some sweet deals to be had with the E cards still......
Happy Hunting

Last edited by IMAXMAX; 06-29-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Robert A

We've talked about this stamp a couple times about 10 years ago.

Maybe it's just another stamp, but I always thought it was significant because the stamp is found only on E104s to my knowledge and it's found on a lot of them. But of course it's possible that one local collector accumulated many of them and stamped them all and didn't collect anything else or stamp his other cards. It's possible.

Rob
Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Jason Albregts

I guess it's like any other stamp, it demands a premium to the right person. I am currently on a "Gilliam Squires" T212 hunt. I always thought it would be cool to reassemble an original collection after it had been broken up. I won't go extremely high on them at this point, and most I've seen are "collector grade" anyway. Luckily there are no HOFer's in T212
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Joe

And I collect F.F. Baker stamped T206's. Last count was 37 ( I think) with a
Jennings on the way. The stamp actually lowers the price if it's graded. So I think it's a win, win for the collector.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Swift stamp

I previously owned the Ira Thomas with the Swift stamp and have seen quite a few over the years. My version had the World's Champions caption.

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 06-30-2015 at 10:08 AM.