NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Scott Levy

Default Goodwin is up

Here's the link

http://www.goodwinandco.com/Catalog.aspx
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Gotsta love the grading of Old Judges:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...100&category=1

Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 PM
pete ullman

that's insane...this grading thing is such a crock.

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-12-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

As the highest grade example, the Hogan will do well, I predict.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As the highest grade example, the Hogan will do well, I predict.
Are there any serious OJ collectors who go after "highest graded?" How can these grading companies not take photo quality into account in grading OJ's?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Are there any serious OJ collectors who go after "highest graded?" How can these grading companies not take photo quality into account in grading OJ's?
1 Donald E. Spence - The Lone Star Collection 16.67% 4.77

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
1 Donald E. Spence - The Lone Star Collection 16.67% 4.77
Anyone buying that PSA 4 just because it's the highest graded should reassess why they are collecting.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default write ups

Where are the flowery write ups when you need them?

Those OJ's are "nice for the grade".
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Bill K@sel

Default E95 Merkle

Me likey...

Bill
Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Marc S.

Default I was particularly fond of

this PSA holder debacle:

Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Peter-Dan said "serious" Old Judge collector
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Anyone have any idea why the starting bid on the PSA 4 T-206 lundgren (Kansas city) has a starting bid of $200? That starting bid is higher than any documented sale price of that card, which is a common. It sells regularly for $60-80 on eBay with a few low to mid $100s sprinkled in...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I love the expertise being flashed regarding d304's.

I'm gonna send all my Brunner's to PSA to be rarified!

....maybe somebody skipped class during that boring D card lecture.

"A true One of One, no other PSA graded Butter Krust Crawford examples are known. Under other bakers and variations within the D304 designation, 12 Crawford have been graded, with two PSA 6’s and one PSA 8.5 of Crawford’s more common Brunner’s variation grading higher--but none of those examples carry the scarcity of the Butter Krust back. What makes this offering of even greater interest is the fact that no Chicago or New York designation exists on the Butter Krust panel. Only four other D304 examples (1 of Nap Rucker and 3 of Frank “Home Run” Baker) have ever been graded with this highly scarce back panel "
Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
That's a little on PSA and a lot on the auction house - how do you not straighten the card out in the case before scanning it? I can't imagine the consignor was happy to see that.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Not so sure this is Brown...factory cut..which I've never seen on a Brown Old Mill...also way too dark IMO.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Ron Rice

Default Brown Back

That's funny, John. Sure looks black to me!

I've got a Magee T206 card labeled as a PSA 5 Magie error. Maybe Goodwin will take it on consignment?

Ron R
Old 05-12-2010, 11:06 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That's a little on PSA and a lot on the auction house - how do you not straighten the card out in the case before scanning it? I can't imagine the consignor was happy to see that.
Who would bid on that card anymore at PSA7 pricing? The corners are sure to get dented moving around like that.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

Not so sure this is Brown...factory cut..which I've never seen on a Brown Old Mill...also way too dark IMO.
Yikes! Somebody made a big mistake. SGC better get that pulled before they have to pay $1000s for it.
JimB
Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

Agreed. For years I thought the difference was minimal and thought I owned several. Then I saw one in person and saw that the difference is MAJOR. Just compare the scan from the brown back in the last auction to this one. Doesn't even seem remotely similar in color.

EDIT: Damn you Jim, you beat me by a minute!

Last edited by JP; 05-13-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Clayton

Wow.

I don't know what was going on at PSA when they were grading those OJ's,,,,and the one floating around in that slab,looks like it may have done a little corner damage?

I also once thought my Ike Rockenfeld T206 was a brown back,,,but,of course,just faded black.That "brown back" looks pretty "black".Maybe it's just the scan?

Clayton

Edit to add:Just saw your post Gary-agreed.I would be pissed if I submitted that beautiful card to PSA and they sent it back floating around in their slab like that!!!

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 05-13-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Even with Goodwins very own scanner so the color should be good...the Old Mill brown from his last auction and the current one.

You have to chuckle a bit the last one was missed and wasn't labeled as brown until towards the end, and this one which is labeled up front but most likely isn't brown.

Bill did say (Hi Bill) he had one coming up that he was on the fence on this has to be it. I would say that card is not brown IMO. The label should say boomerang because that card is coming back to either Goodwin or SGC.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Barry Sloate

That's a black back Old Mill, no question about it.

And it's time some of the hobbyists petitioned the graders to hold a seminar about grading Old Judges, and explain to them that they don't have a clue. If collectors know more than the graders, what's the point?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That's a black back Old Mill, no question about it.

And it's time some of the hobbyists petitioned the graders to hold a seminar about grading Old Judges, and explain to them that they don't have a clue. If collectors know more than the graders, what's the point?
No doubt that is a black old mill. It doesn't reflect well on Goodwin that they are trying to profit on an obvious mislabel. I don't see REA trying to pull this.

Those OJ's are so mis-graded its hilarious. I like your suggestion John, but although the grading problems are most acute with Old Judges, in my opinion it also very evident in whatever issue the companies are grading, because the image quality counts for nothing (see recent thread on REA Plank grades).

Fat chance they'll listen to us though, the grading companies think of themselves like great oracles of wisdom that we must bow down to...

Last edited by M's_Fan; 05-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Yikes! Somebody made a big mistake. SGC better get that pulled before they have to pay $1000s for it.
JimB
Yeah it is a really good thing for the winner that SGC has that "guaranty".
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 AM
D.B. Cooper

That blacker shade of brown "Old Mill" is a perfect example of why SGC no longer employs former members of Procol Harum.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Brian Dwyer

I've been in communication with Bill Goodwin, and he will be sending SGC the card for re-evaluation. It has been withdrawn from the auction at this time.

Thank you,

Brian Dwyer
SGC
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Regarding the N172 Nicholson that's moved around in the holder.....problem with trying to straighten it out is that you could end up doing more damage to the card. I've tried it myself with a 1974 Topps stamp that had become diagonal in the holder.....after I tried to straighten it out, it had become so wedged into the holder's edges, that there's now absolutely no way to straighten it out, and no way that it's still in the grade it was in at the time of encapsulation

Steve
Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
I've been in communication with Bill Goodwin, and he will be sending SGC the card for re-evaluation. It has been withdrawn from the auction at this time.

Thank you,

Brian Dwyer
SGC
That seems like a pretty radical way of dealing with this issue! Couldn't we have ragged about it a little longer? After all, so far we've only crucified Goodwin and SGC. We haven't had time to work on the consignor nor the potential bidders yet!

Please move a little more slowly next time.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Regarding the N172 Nicholson that's moved around in the holder.....problem with trying to straighten it out is that you could end up doing more damage to the card. I've tried it myself with a 1974 Topps stamp that had become diagonal in the holder.....after I tried to straighten it out, it had become so wedged into the holder's edges, that there's now absolutely no way to straighten it out, and no way that it's still in the grade it was in at the time of encapsulation

Steve

I assume if it were sent back to PSA for re-holder it wouldn't make a difference?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

got rare?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
lol
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ok now I’m really confused apparently the OM in question belongs to the Levy’s? Was this card also turned down by REA recently Scott and why?

Scott you and your pop have seen enough of these what leads you think this one is brown curious to know?

Perhaps it is brown and I’m making a mistake?

For the record I can’t imagine these two passing off a card in a mislabel. If any two collectors know the pain of getting a bogus card in a graded holder these guys would.

Sorry if I made a mistake it just looks so black Scott….

John
Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Dan Bretta

How do you know that it belongs to Scott, Wonka?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I got sent an email from Jim R from Jerry T asking our thoughts on the card this was after I posted the images last night. He asked if this was the example the Levy's owned. Jim also remmbers the Levy's talking about a factory cut Dolly Stark brown OM, but Jim never saw an image.

I assume this is Scott's but I could be wrong? That's why I asked above, also Rob Lifson mentioned in passing on a Stark brown OM from the Levy's as he thought it didn't quite muster up to being a true brown card. Rob saw this post and thought it may be the same card...once again though I could be wrong.

I'm going to call Scott Levy in the AM.

Another reason I think this can't be brown is the southern league brown Hindu players are not found on Texas league players hence no brown Hindu no brown OM.

All the confirmed brown OM's are also found with Brown Hindu.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Scott Levy

Default Wonka...

Is right at least about the ownership of the card. And while I generally tend to remain anonymous about the cards that I own ... given that the card is being questioned, I'm not ashamed to admit that this is ours or that we consider it to at least possibly be a legitimate variation.

Dad and I purchased this card years ago because we happened to compare it against several black examples and saw a difference in ink color.

While I admit the color at first blush appears so dark that it must be black, when compared directly against a black OM back there are notable visual differences.

You and I both know that there are many trimmed Old Mill cards that have much lighter tones of browns --- these have traditionally been the ones we all have seen (and the one that you have pictured). However, I think that it is at least possible that a darker shade of brown (not black) exists with Old Mill. Somewhat similarly, I have personally viewed Brown Lenox cards that significantly vary with the darkness of brown - although admittedly to a lesser degree.

In all, given the uncertainty, my dad has agreed with Bill and with SGC to have a second review determine the card's final fate. If SGC deems it upon further review to be a variation I will stick with that finding. If SGC wants to take it out of circulation ... that will probably be OK too. But it's not as simple a case as it appears.

Regards,
Scott
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Scott,

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you are saying in reagards to diff color varations on OM. In fact I can lay dozens of standard OM's next to each other and some will appear off perhaps even brown...

A lot of that has to do with the strike on the card, the tone of the paper etc. However IMO brown Old Mill and even Lenox are night and day to next to the black.

I also understand the dark chocolate Lenox you're talking about but IMO it seems even more brown...images below

I hope I'm wrong and the card is brown I still need one!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

These are the real tough color combos..Jim R sold me these for 50k.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Jim R

Ted Z has a theroy about purple Carolina Brights-they are only found on players that were under 5'3" tall
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Matt Wieder

Well done - both of you.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Joann

I think a decent rule of thumb for brown cards is this: If you have to try to decide if it's brown, it's not.

But I may be oversimplifying it!

J
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Default T206 carolina, polar bear, hindu

Jim and John,

WILD CARDS!!i have never seen a "purple" carolina, "apple " hindu.....

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
are there anymore????

WOW!!

Regards,

Johnny
Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Joann may be on to something. If it's a genuine brown back it will be pretty obvious. If you have to look at the card a hundred times and you're still not sure, it's almost certainly black.

And the one in question IMO is black (sorry Scott and Hank)
Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
Jim and John,

WILD CARDS!!i have never seen a "purple" carolina, "apple " hindu.....

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
are there anymore????

WOW!!

Regards,

Johnny
Johnny - Wonka is a Photoshop guru - those are not real.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Sean Brennan

This is Joe Tinker not Frank Chance ...ugh

Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 AM

Sean,

I noticed that cabinet too. But I bet that the auction house submitted as Chance to SGC.

Mike
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Sean Brennan

I dont understand who they have working for them? This is a pretty easy one. I remember about two years ago The Tribune in Chicago put out a magazine about the Cubs showing a lot of the 1908 cubs. They had a team picture of the 08 cubs in which they only bothered to try to name half of them (and nearly every one was wrong).
In the case of this Tinker card, if someone assumes its frank chance why dont they take three seconds and look at the 1906-1910 cubs? Companies like this are making millions of dollars per auction yet know I have to double check every lot to make sure its not a completely different players then whom they say it is.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Why did SGC label it Frank Chance? Where is the quality control?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default rare?

First of all this isn't meant as a slam against Bill Goodwin. I think he runs a fine auction and I have never had an issue with him or his auctions. He has gotten some wild prices before but I have never seen any definitive evidence that anything was awry. Each time I have had a question Bill has answered satisfactorily (for me). All that being said whoever wrote this on the Brunners card:

"but none of those examples carry the scarcity of the Butter Krust back"

is just wrong. It's like saying "the ultra rare Sweet Caporal backed T206's"

Both of those statements are similar. The Brunners (Butter Krust) are in fact the MOST COMMON backs in the set by far.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Every example of the brown Old Mill I have seen is a significantly lighter shade of brown than even the brown Lenox. Even the brown Lenox, which is darker is obvious when lined up next to a black Lenox, but the brown Old Mills are very clear IMHO.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 05-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I just like how "ink color" can lead to both a big debate and huge price differences. The crazy minds of collectors.